Advanced Search

Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] Hosting a server in the MM8BDM Launcher  (Read 89910 times)

September 29, 2010, 09:32:02 PM
Read 89910 times

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
[TUTORIAL] Hosting a server in the MM8BDM Launcher
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »
Introduction

Included in the Mega Man Deathmatch zip is a launcher which allows you to run the game locally or host servers. The idea is to have a fast way to host games without going through most of the complications and additional options most launcher have. Since a lot of options for Skulltag do not apply to MM8BDM, this launcher simplifies the process by allowing you to configure the basics.

If you would like more options (such as running your own expansions/mods), you should probably get DoomSeeker

Setting up a server

Run MM8BDM.exe and click the host tab. You'll be presented with quite a few options. Here I will explain what they all do.

Server Name
This is what players will see while looking through their server browser. Call it whatever you like!

Game mode
The game mode to be played in the server. There's quite a few!

Deathmatch - Standard deathmatch, first to hit the frag limit wins.
    Team Deathmatch - Standard deathmatch in teams. First team to reach the frag limit wins.
    Last Man Standing - Players get a random set of weapons and spectate when they die. The last man standing wins the round. First to reach the win limit wins.
    Team Last Man Standing - Players get a random set of weapons and spectate when they die. The last team standing wins the round. First team to reach the win limit wins.
    Terminator - A powerup is randomly placed in the map. This powerup permanently gives you a damage and health boost, making you much more difficult to take down. If the terminator is killed, the powerup is dropped and the killer gains 10 frags! First to hit the fraglimit wins.
    Possession - Players must find a circuit board randomly set in a map and hold onto it for a minute. Once the minute is up they win the round. If they die, the board is dropped. First player to hit the win limit wins.
    Team Possession - Players must find a circuit board randomly set in a map and hold onto it for a minute. Once the minute is up they win the round. If they die, the board is dropped. First team to hit the win limit wins.
    Capture the Flag - Players start at their own team bases and much capture the opposing team's flag and bring it back to their own. Players must also defend their own flag from the opposing team. First team to hit the capture limit wins.
    One flag CTF - Much like CTF, but instead a white flag is placed in the center of the arena. Players must take this flag to the OPPOSING team's flag to score a point. First team to hit the capture limit wins.
    Duel - Players fight 1 on 1 for a few rounds. After each round, the winner fights a new player. After so many wins, the next map is chosen. Other players must spectate and wait in line until their turn.
    Instagib - Deathmatch, but everyone uses powered up metal blades that kill everything in one hit.

Note: CTF and One Flag CTF can only be played on CTF maps (MMCTF01-MMCTF03). You should also be careful what maps you choose for possession, as the circuit board can be dropped into pits and never be retrieved on certain levels.

Broadcast to server list
If this is ticked, it will appear in the list of servers. If it is unticked, it will not be displayed. Players can still connect if they know your IP address however.

Max players
The maximum amount of players that can play in this server. 32 is the maximum.

Max spectators
The maximum amount of spectators in this server. These players cannot join if the maximum amount of players is reached. 32 is the maximum.

Port
This is VERY important. If you aren't behind a router, you should be good to go. If you ARE behind a router, you need to specify an open port here. For more info on port forwarding, go here (later).

Frag/win limit
The game is over when this limit is hit. This can be frags, points or wins depending on the game mode.

Time Limit
The game ends when the time limit is hit. Whoever has the most frags, points or wins at this point, wins the game.

Password
If not blank, players will need to enter this password to enter your server. Perfect for private games.

Extra Command Line Parameters
This area is if you wish to pass any extra parameters to Skulltag that the launcher doesn't offer. For a good list of these, see here.

Game options
These are specific options for the game. While there's a HELL of a lot more, these are the most important for MM8BDM.

Weapons Stay - Weapons don't disappear when picked up. Highly recommended.
    Spawn Farthest - Skulltag will attempt to respawn you as far away from other players as possible, resulting in less spawn killing.
    Drop Weapons - When a player dies, he will drop his current weapon (does not apply to mega buster variants).
    Randomize Maps - Randomizes the map rotation rather than playing them in order.
    Force Respawn - Forces players to respawn when killed.

Map Rotation
This is the list of maps that will be played in this server. You can change the order around or remove maps from this list freely. Hit the defaults button to restore the map rotation back to normal. Note that CTF has it's own map rotation, and those maps will be selected automatically when you choose CTF or One Flag CTF in the drop down.

Launch
Launches the server and brings up the server window. You do not automatically connect to your game. Instead you have to launch the game and connect to it yourself, or use a server browser like DoomSeeker (see below).

Save Settings
Save your server settings to a file.

Load Settings
Restore your server settings from a file.

Connecting to your server

Now that you have the server window open, you may want to join your server to check the settings out or actually play with other folks. You can do this two ways.

1. Open up the launcher again and run singleplayer. When the game is loaded drop the console (press the ` key). Type in the console "connect localhost". You should connect straight to your server. If localhost doesn't work, try your IP address.

2. You can use DoomSeeker and join it from there. This is the recommended way as this confirms that your server is running and other players are able to find it. If it's not showing up in DoomSeeker, most likely you need to do some port forwarding.

Managing your server

While the server window is open, you have a bunch of options you can access. I won't list them all, as most are self explanatory or are irrelevant to MM8BDM. You can kick/ban players from here, add bots, talk to your players etc etc. Don't forget when you close this window, your server shuts down and your players will be disconnected, so it's advisable to let them know first!

September 30, 2010, 06:12:40 PM
Reply #1

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
Re: [TUTORIAL] Hosting a server in the MM8BDM Launcher
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:12:40 PM »
When I asked about an "Auto explains the game!" sign for Instagib, you said it was "not a real game mode" and was simply a little tick mark that you could use to make any game mode in the game run as Instagib. Yet, in the server launcher, Instagib is NOT a tick mark, and based on what you typed up, Instagib is only for Deathmatch games. Is this true, or can I still make anything Instagib? (Instagib Possession, anyone?)

September 30, 2010, 06:20:28 PM
Reply #2

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »
You can, but to make things easier for players I made it a dropdown in the launcher. When you have the server up, you can toggle instagib as you please

September 30, 2010, 06:20:38 PM
Reply #3

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:20:38 PM »
Oh man. LMS/TLMS sounds REALLY fun with Drop weapons on. That'll make it even more like Megaman!

September 30, 2010, 09:51:30 PM
Reply #4

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:30 PM »
Okay, another question:
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
This is what players will see while looking through their server browser.
Will the latest MM8BDM build be compatible with the game's internal browser, or will players still have to rely on things like DoomSeeker?

September 30, 2010, 10:04:55 PM
Reply #5

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
It does work but don't forget, servers using other versions of skulltag will not be displayed.

September 30, 2010, 10:07:34 PM
Reply #6

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »
Alrighty then. At first I guess that isn't an issue, as the release has the latest Skulltag, but a month or two after that I guess it's up to you to update your Skulltag.

Thanks for all the speedy responses! :D

October 11, 2010, 02:24:38 AM
Reply #7

Offline Zellough

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 11, 2010, 05:50:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/IMAMEGAMANZERO
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 02:24:38 AM »
hmmmmm i'd like to know about the port thing i can't broadcast my server because of that what should i do?  :)

October 11, 2010, 09:17:05 AM
Reply #8

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 09:17:05 AM »
Drop into google the model of your router with "port forward" and you should get some results.

October 11, 2010, 02:30:42 PM
Reply #9

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »
When i open a server, my friends can't go with mi IP....i try with doomseeker an others, but i don't understand.... =s

I have a 0,5m (512k), it's bad but i hope i can play online with my friends in France. :/

EDIT: It's okay, we used the bad "IP adress" XD, we can play, it's cooool!

October 13, 2010, 06:46:06 PM
Reply #10

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 06:46:06 PM »
Is there any way to turn off items? Short of LMS.

I got errors, for some reason only the second time I tried to host and after that.

Network packet failed? Something like that?

October 13, 2010, 06:55:20 PM
Reply #11

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 06:55:20 PM »
I don't believe so, since weapons count as items. I checked the launcher options, skulltag options. Nothing about item removal.

However I could very easily make a patch for you that removes the items from play. That just means everyone would need to download it

Of course, when you say items, what do you mean? Health, Ammo Refills, The Pickups, weapons? etc?

October 13, 2010, 06:56:14 PM
Reply #12

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »
Pickups of any kind. Just so everyone has to use one weapon, but I don't want people to have to download stuff just to play on my server. Oh well.

October 24, 2010, 04:04:03 AM
Reply #13

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 04:04:03 AM »
Hi every1
i have a question that i have from the demo and de full version the problem is:

When i host a server i cant se any1 on my sever i give the ip to my firends and its the same they cant enter the server,(but i can enter to their servers  :(  :cry: im from colombia so idk english very well, this problem is of the port i se one reply but i dont understand sorry :(

greetings,negrolum

October 24, 2010, 04:57:55 AM
Reply #14

Offline TERRORsphere

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 22, 2009, 08:45:17 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DoomThroughDoom
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 04:57:55 AM »
Quote from: "negrolum"
Hi every1
i have a question that i have from the demo and de full version the problem is:

When i host a server i cant se any1 on my sever i give the ip to my firends and its the same they cant enter the server,(but i can enter to their servers  :(  :cry: im from colombia so idk english very well, this problem is of the port i se one reply but i dont understand sorry :(

greetings,negrolum
Either you're giving out the internal ip when you're supposed to be giving out the external ip.

Also it sounds as if you need to forward ports. http://cutstuff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=751