Advanced Search

Author Topic: Rozark's Palace: Football is Here  (Read 92939 times)

March 16, 2012, 07:26:43 PM
Reply #15

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
Re: Rozark's Palace of Maps-v2 CHANGELOG & Release this week
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »
I did leave a few of them, and as always, the sewers is great to camp! -cough- especially after what ive done.. OH BOY YOURE IN FOR A TREAT!

March 17, 2012, 12:39:30 AM
Reply #16

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
Re: Rozark's Palace of Maps-V2 Release: IT'S FINALLY HERE FO
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
Now.. it's time.. to.. BUMP!
V2 IS OUT GET IT ON PAGE 1!

ivory dont be mad lol >.<

March 18, 2012, 04:53:05 AM
Reply #17

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 04:53:05 AM »
These...are actually decent, keep at it!

My only real criticisms:
there are areas where some of the maps end, which could be potential camp spots
There are areas that do not adhere to the 32x32 map unit rule, not a bit deal, but it still exists
And there are also some texture offsets that look...off

March 18, 2012, 06:21:29 AM
Reply #18

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21:29 AM »
Quote from: "Lego"
These...are actually decent, keep at it!

My only real criticisms:
there are areas where some of the maps end, which could be potential camp spots
There are areas that do not adhere to the 32x32 map unit rule, not a bit deal, but it still exists
And there are also some texture offsets that look...off

thanks for your feedback. if you could specify specific annoying areas, that would help me more for improvement. below are the current problems im aware of:
(click to show/hide)

March 18, 2012, 07:39:32 AM
Reply #19

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 07:39:32 AM »
The filesize is pretty darn huge for how little stuff is in it.
The latest classes version is 5.76 mb. This is 11.

I think I'd like Ice Cap more if you cut off the top part though.

March 18, 2012, 01:47:20 PM
Reply #20

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »
There is a basement area of the dungeon onle has one way in and out, making it a potential camp spot.
Ice Cap has a similar problem with the underground, despite what Korby said, I think Ice Cap is as good as the others
and you already know of the texture problems in Area-A]

As for file size, you can compress music
Blue Brawl made this nifty tutorial
(Also, from personal experience, OGG vorbis files tend to be smaller than MP3s, so I guess OGGs are preferable)

March 18, 2012, 02:22:47 PM
Reply #21

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »
all music sizes are ogg. the music problem would probably be with mahboi03, as that cant be looped easily (couldnt find a good point :L)

i might just remove the music pack and post it separately, as the map size would decrease from 12mb to 7mb. a clear considerable difference. :D.

as for icecap, it had some outside, but the inside was larger. the dungeon sewers has 2 ways in, manually or with teleport. or, if youre talking about the new extended area, theres 2 ladders to it.

March 18, 2012, 08:35:53 PM
Reply #22

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
OK, time to do my work.

1st map:

Hey I found a camping spot:
(click to show/hide)

Overall, you made the map better. There are a few texture offset problems but they don't bother me too much. And, it's a little cramped.

2nd map:

(click to show/hide)

Overall I liked this map, I think you did a good job. Perhaps less of the same textures?

3rd map:

This map is way to BIG, gosh if this was played in duel everyone would say BAWLISK. The skybox's texture offsets are off, but doesn't really matter to me if you fix it; I just thought I'd point it out to you. I liked the concept but way too GIANT.

OVERALL: 6.4/10 is my mark.

If the problems are fixed it'll be an 7.8/10.

March 18, 2012, 10:54:18 PM
Reply #23

Knux

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
The filesize is pretty darn huge for how little stuff is in it.
The latest classes version is 5.76 mb. This is 11.

Dat extra music. Rozark made a good decision in saying he will post it separately. I'll be glad to compress it if you'd like.

I think I'd like Ice Cap more if you cut off the top part though.

Actually, instead of flat out destroying hard work, I believe it would be better if the map was a single piece. Of course, joining both parts might make it big. I say it could be a good idea to meld the outside with the inside in one way or another, although I don't really have a problem with the map as it is right now. Of course, that doesn't mean there might not be problems.

Perhaps less of the same textures?

I don't believe this map is a texture soup, and even that is not the bigger problem here, as I explained above. Speaking of texture soups, FMP01.

3rd map:

This map is way to BIG, gosh if this was played in duel everyone would say BAWLISK. The skybox's texture offsets are off, but doesn't really matter to me if you fix it; I just thought I'd point it out to you. I liked the concept but way too GIANT.

Unless it's a Duel map pack, people shouldn't make maps centered around duels only. Also, the Skybox did matter enough that you reported it, and that's great. Still, you're the one to complain about huge maps when you don't even listen to advice yourself. I don't have a problem with people doing that, except it sounds hypocritical coming from you, especially when I tried to help, and there's no way it doesn't bother me. So sorry if it comes off as flaming, but it's the naked truth.

March 18, 2012, 11:25:09 PM
Reply #24

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 11:25:09 PM »
Quote from: "Lego"
despite what Korby said, I think Ice Cap is as good as the others
Actually, I didn't say it was bad. I just said it'd probably be better without the top section.

However, if you added more than one way down/up, it'd probably be better with some more tweaks.

March 19, 2012, 12:08:23 AM
Reply #25

Knux

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »
However, if you added more than one way down/up, it'd probably be better with some more tweaks.

I suggested this at an early stage. However, Rozark seems to want to see how it goes the way it's now, and since it's good experience I did not argue any further. I still think that there should be at least two more two-way teleporters to avoid congestions of players in the same two places, not to mention that one of them (in the cave) isn't exactly at the reach of everyone's sight.

March 19, 2012, 12:40:14 AM
Reply #26

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 12:40:14 AM »
I have no oppinions cause I don't have the pack (I'll get it eventually) but I do wanna say, don't worry TOO much about texture offsets. I'm looking at Skullman's map to make MI's, and that map is FULL of incorrect offsets.

March 19, 2012, 01:56:14 AM
Reply #27

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:14 AM »
considering some random change for icecap (EXPERIMENTAL). and fyone, theres gonna be camping spots. im not removing every single one. sorry :L

Edit: 200th post. That is all.

March 19, 2012, 02:03:17 AM
Reply #28

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:17 AM »
Quote from: "Knux"
Perhaps less of the same textures?[/size]

I don't believe this map is a texture soup, and even that is not the bigger problem here, as I explained above. Speaking of texture soups, FMP01.

3rd map:

Unless it's a Duel map pack, people shouldn't make maps centered around duels only. Also, the Skybox did matter enough that you reported it, and that's great. Still, you're the one to complain about huge maps when you don't even listen to advice yourself. I don't have a problem with people doing that, except it sounds hypocritical coming from you, especially when I tried to help, and there's no way it doesn't bother me. So sorry if it comes off as flaming, but it's the naked truth.

Do you know what a "?" means? or an "IF". A "?" means that it's not necessary just something that bothers me personally. "IF" means that if this was happening, I'm not saying he should center it around duels.

Why are you holding things against me? I apologized for not fixing all the things that you said for my maps and I'm fixing a lot of things everyday that people complained about previously.

Why are you rating my review of Rozark's maps? It's his choice if he wants to take some of my advice.

March 19, 2012, 02:20:25 AM
Reply #29

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 02:20:25 AM »
Texture offsets do matter. Especially when it causes stuff like this:

Now onto other stuff:

01: Texture offset problems are the most present here. Stuff like this should never happen:

Also remove the treble sentry there or replace it. It's annoying to come up there just to get shot down.

02:
Overly bright room is overly bright:

The blue and purple don't really go well together. The purple ice is also not slippery for some reason. More texture offset craziness that I'm too lazy to upload screenshots of. (most importantly the ones in the first screenshot) Also, needing mobility items to get mobility items is pointless and annoying.

03:
Reality defying waterfall: (also more needing mobility items to get mobility items.)

The gravity script is also messed up. You can go near the sector and get low gravity. Combine this with super adapter and you can fly forever. Also the blockable linedefs around the pits are a bit pointless. Finally, never put spaces in your wad name ever.