Advanced Search

Author Topic: I think we need a sweep  (Read 9194 times)

February 12, 2013, 11:50:15 PM
Reply #15

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
Re: I think we need a sweep
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 11:50:15 PM »
Necroposts are fine as long as the poster has a good reason for bringing the topic back up. You never know when a topic will once again become relevant in the future.

If the poster bumps the topic without a good reason, then yeah that's bad. That basically falls under "spam", as it is a pointless post.

February 13, 2013, 05:12:54 AM
Reply #16

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
The account purge would do less harm. I love you, Omni~
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »
Necroposts are fine for the reason Kapus stated: they can serve a purpose. Don't muddle the truth with your misguided assertions. It doesn't matter if there's an infinite amount of people or thread starters who have arrived at the same faulty conclusion; it's still wrong.

I made the comparison the VK threads to point out the connection you haven't made: Redundant posts are inherently bad on their own (not necroposts). if you're okay with a dozen guys running around making the same complaint (that they can easily solve on their own) but raise arms at the sight of "necroposts", you're missing a point, encouraging a sense of self-entitlement, and being inconsistent in how you judge posts. If you just lock all of the threads without addressing the actual issue, those necroposts will just move into active threads, now no longer necroposts but equally useless. What's the point? Punish the users for breaking the rules, instead of shifting the blame to the fact that there's too many old threads running around.
Quote from: "tsukiyomaru0"
However, of course, the OP reserves the right to bump his old thread, as well as trusty people of his (let's say: Yellow Devil and DarkAura are working on a map, but Yellow Devil started the thread. Considering the two are working together, DarkAura can STILL bump it into Yellow Devil's place).
Don't propose a rule based on an exception. It's arbitrary. How are you going define "trusty people" with any degree of certainty or consistency? Is Yellow Devil a trusty person to begin with? He's just as capable of making a pointless post in his own thread as anyone else. You leave the option of posting open, even if misuse has potential of occurring (as it does), and then punish violators accordingly.  That's how you treat a community you expect to behave reasonably the majority of the time.

February 17, 2013, 07:18:18 AM
Reply #17

Offline T's Inventions

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 08, 2011, 03:01:18 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 07:18:18 AM »
I agree with Tesseractal and Kapus.
I really don't see why the rest of you guys hates all "necro posts" so much.
I believe it is ok to bump older topics as long as the bumper gives out some somewhat useful info and/or has a good reason to.

March 12, 2013, 01:58:40 AM
Reply #18

Offline ZeStopper

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 15, 2013, 04:06:13 AM

• View Profile
    • http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 01:58:40 AM »
Damn i shouldn't hve bumped that expansion for no reason, however i think that those topics that haven't had a post for 2 years (most of those projects) should be locked

March 12, 2013, 03:17:18 AM
Reply #19

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 03:17:18 AM »
The irony of necro-bumping a topic about dealing with necro-bumpers.

March 12, 2013, 07:20:56 PM
Reply #20

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »
I thought it only counted as a bump if it was a month old