Advanced Search

Author Topic: Kappak (Version 2c)  (Read 32724 times)

August 09, 2011, 01:14:18 AM
Read 32724 times

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
Kappak (Version 2c)
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:14:18 AM »
This is a map pack. It is made by Kapus. You can download it here.

V2c
http://www.mediafire.com/?tyrptu2ktjfr6cu

V2b
http://www.mediafire.com/?avw277bji9x1o81

V2a
http://www.sendspace.com/file/e90jwq

V1b
http://www.sendspace.com/file/idtj1v

V1a
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0xr7vm

Screenshots, mapcodes and map names are below.

(click to show/hide)

Many thanks to my friends King Yamato, Ivory, Myroc and Lakister for giving me feedback and teaching me various mapping techniques.

Please have fun.

August 09, 2011, 02:06:20 AM
Reply #1

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
Re: Kappak V1a
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »
Whoo first to comment

Pictures look a little fuzzy, but from what I can gather, I'm seein' a shitload of Stone Man textures.

Can't wait to play em! (even though I have too :V)

August 09, 2011, 02:07:02 AM
Reply #2

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:07:02 AM »
Lookin' forward to see the maps, not enough time today, I hope that these will be great!

August 09, 2011, 02:07:36 AM
Reply #3

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:07:36 AM »
Quote from: "Star Dood"
Pictures look a little fuzzy, but from what I can gather, I'm seein' a shitload of Stone Man textures.
My maps are too rocky.

=(

August 09, 2011, 02:48:47 AM
Reply #4

Offline RollGravityHolds

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 12, 2011, 10:38:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 02:48:47 AM »
Sorry if you see a grammar mistake or something like that, my english isn't good. Overall, the MapPack looks nice, I've played in each map with bots and without them. So far I've found some problems in some maps :

KAP01 - Glitchy skybox, just entered to it and I found it. There is a squared area with some blue fences in which you can go to the "back" of the area which leads to a pit. I think you should close that area (The one with blizzard attack). You can put a Rush Coil (to compliment Item 1) or maybe a W-Tank and move the Blizzard Attack or change the Item 1 with Rush Coil . Well, I think (just me maybe) that the lava pool should be smaller (not to much).

KAP02 - Glitchy skybox, but this is less notorious, still is there.

KAP03 - I kinda like this map. The pool of death needs to die, make the water area a normal floor. Also I think the E-Tank is in a really easy place.

KAP04 - I like this map. My only complain so far in one of the water exits doesn't make you jump out of the water (The one in the Freeze Cracker spot if I'm correct) this can lead to some problems.

KAP05 - I like this map too. I really had a good time playing on it. The dependance on Item 1 to get some items is a bit odd. I think Super Adaptor can do a really good job here. Besides Bass Buster and Metal Blade - ¿Scorch Wheel? - (so far what I see) there is no more weapons that rip through the Leaf Shield. Adding one more weapon can help this.

So far this is what I've seen, the maps are OK in my opinion. I can't talk about weapon balance because I'm not good at it. Hope you can fix some of the problems.

August 09, 2011, 02:51:21 AM
Reply #5

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 02:51:21 AM »
Haven't looked at the maps yet, BUT I strongly advise against using sendspace, as it tends to contain particularly 'tricky' false download links, and I find it will often lag as it spams the mandatory pop-up, which often causes people to download the file twice, which is just annoying.. Also, wadhost is so much more convenient.

Anyways, congratulations on a release.

August 09, 2011, 03:07:14 AM
Reply #6

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:07:14 AM »
Quote from: "RollGravityHolds"
Sorry if you see a grammar mistake or something like that, my english isn't good. Overall, the MapPack looks nice, I've played in each map with bots and without them. So far I've found some problems in some maps :

KAP01 - Glitchy skybox, just entered to it and I found it. Also the spot with the Crystal Eye seems impossible to reach, putting a ladder from the outside part to get there can be an idea or just a Rush Coil. There is a squared area with some blue fences in which you can go to the "back" of the are which leads to a pit. I think you should close that area. You can put the Rush Coil (If you are going to put it) or maybe a W-Tank. Well, I think (just me maybe) that the lava pool should be smaller (not to much).

KAP02 - Glitchy skybox, but this is less notorious, still is there.

KAP03 - I kinda like this map. The pool of death needs to die, make the water area a normal floor. Also I think the E-Tank is in a really easy place. There is a stair that leads to a pit in the last step, I think the last step should have a small wall to avoid this.

KAP04 - I like this map. My only complain so far in one of the water exits doesn't make you jump out of the water (The one in the Freeze Cracker spot if I'm correct) this can lead to some problems.

KAP05 - I like this map too. I really had a good time playing on it. The dependance on Item 1 to get some items is a bit odd. I think Super Adaptor can do a really good job here. Besides Bass Buster and Metal Blade - ¿Scorch Wheel? - (so far what I see) there is no more weapons that rip through the Leaf Shield. Adding one more weapon can help this.

So far this is what I've seen, the maps are OK in my opinion. I can't talk about weapon balance because I'm not good at it. Hope you can fix some of the problems.

First of all, thanks for downloading and testing. I really appreciate the feedback. Now to address the problems..

KAP01: I took a look at the skybox myself, and I assume you mean the Clouds not looping properly. I can and will easily fix that.

Crystal Eye is not impossible to reach. You need item 1 to get to it. However, Crystal Eye didn't turn out to be as destructive in that level as I anticipated, so I think a ladder is probably better now. Or maybe I could just swap the position of Rolling Cutter and Crystal Eye. Either way, I think Rush Coil is probably a better choice than item 1, anyway.

Thanks for pointing out the fence problem. I'll get to that.

KAP02: Thanks for finding this.

KAP03: I spent a long time thinking about the Death water. Some people said to keep it as a death pit, while others said it might be better as an underwater sector. I'll wait for more comments before deciding anything.

As for the E tank, you are pretty vulnerable when going through that path. During testing, I tried many times to get to the E Tank only to be attacked by Air Shooter and Needle Cannon. I don't think it's too easy at all.
I have no idea what you're talking about with the stair leading to a pit, though.

KAP04: That water error is still there? I fixed that a while ago. Map must have not saved..

KAP05: Glad to hear you had a great time here. Personally, I think Metal Blade, Scorch Wheel and Bass Buster are enough to counter Leaf Shield, but Super Adapter really does sound nice in this map. I have no idea where I would place it, though..

Once again, thanks for downloading and giving feedback.

August 09, 2011, 03:55:31 AM
Reply #7

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:55:31 AM »
I lied! Turns out I did have some time to look over these maps. For a beginner mapper, I'd say this is passable.
Instead of repeatin' what's said (as much as possible), I'll throw in a few thoughts here.

KAP01:
Ya use OpenGL, right? Look at the map from software, then ya'll see the Skybox problem. This might be overlooked very often, but add the linedef property that block monsters so bots won't fall down every turn.

KAP02:
Not much else to say more about here.

KAP03:
I'll have to decide on what to say about weapon and item placement (more so item placement). At the end the stairs, ya should extend that so after a treacherous climb up the stairs ya won't simply fall into water. SAPPHIRE Caves? Why don't I see a single crystal texture from Crystal Man's stage? Addin' veins of crystals would make the map a lot more visually pleasin' instead of the bland solid Freeze Man cliff textures everywhere.

KAP04:
The energy placement can be vastly improved, but I'm in a loss of words on how to describe it at the moment.

KAP05:
This has a Jack Corvus map feel to it (which is a bad thin'). LOTS and LOTS of weapons clustered together. There's only 1 spot for Item 1 to appear, which (strategically) encourages campin' there so the player can access hard to come by items and weapons. Another Item 1 spot will work, but then it causes the better/higher tier weapons and items to dominate the field. That's best solved by lowerin' the tier of the weapons/items.

KAP01, 03, 04 all have rather bland wall textures, addin' some more textures can help give it more variety.

August 09, 2011, 04:08:26 AM
Reply #8

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 04:08:26 AM »
Most of those problems were already addressed by Roll, but I take note of the textures.

KAP04 isn't getting any new textures, though. I already used everything from MM4's first two wily stages.

August 09, 2011, 04:25:42 AM
Reply #9

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »
The walls could have an indention towards the wall and then give the indention another texture or add another pillar on the wall are ways to give walls a less solid monotextured look.

August 09, 2011, 04:32:48 AM
Reply #10

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
Pitchfork-esque review
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 04:32:48 AM »

Kapus - Kappak V1a
7.1/10
[breakout maps/ first maps]

The community loves Kapus, and Kapus loves the community back. From spriting for the mm7 expansion, to making maps in his spare time, Kapus has given back more than enough to the community. Clearly, Kapus is the closest thing we have to a role model. However, does his rep match his mapping skills? This review says the answer might surprise you.
=Gurgu Volcano=(KAP01)
A mediocre start to a solid map pack, if you ask me. The textures don't stray too far from what's expected, with a sweet blend of red on the inside, accompanied by orange on the out. It screams "I didn't want to make anything too risky, so I stuck to what's safe." If maps could speak, this map would speak in a mouse's voice and only say "fun" over and over in a monotone accent. That is to say that's a good thing. Playing these maps have many open spots that allow for a large amount of players to get at each other without the restraint of walls or tough navigation. It's what this map aims for, and it hits its mark with a satisfactory punch. The layout is somewhat bland, with inconvenient level heights. The weapons don't seem too solid either, with a powerful noise crush that outclasses almost every weapon, with the exception of the rolling cutter. The skybox is considered an issue, although I had opengl at the time of this review.
If you want improvement, I would say to make the weapon layout a little more solid and add more rush coils elsewhere. Otherwise, you're fine.

=Rocky Land=(KAP02)
This is another map that follows the same safe formula of the first. It feels like our dear mapper thought that making walls that weren't straight would fool me into not seeing the weak layout presented before me. item placement feels incredibly random, especially when the e-tank is laughably easy to acquire. Weapon choices are also a negative, with a lack of long-range weapons to really take advantage of the open space. This leaves noise crush to (again) dominate the map. Tomahawk should be put in more places to promote long range fights, while quick boomerang should get the boot since it's alongside wild coil, fire storm, and shadow blade.

=Sapphire Caverns=(KAP03)
Our mapper is learning, and it shows in this map. The weapon selection isn't horribly imbalanced this time, with weapons like search snake, dive missle, and drill bomb to take advantage of the map's layout. Music is favorable in this stage, but the real flaw of this stage (aside from the water pit) is the lack of textures. there aren't many cave textures out there, but that is no excuse to simply stick to the same two colors and present a basic map. Otherwise, it's enjoyable. Also, a quick note: If you're going to make me jump up a freakin' flight of stairs, I better see something worth the effort. With search snake and drill bomb in this map, proto buster isn't as useful as you would think. Super adaptor, though...

=Wily Stage 1=(KAP04)
Our mapper is no longer as inexperienced as before, coming out with a more preferable map. With a good layout and solid weapon selection, our young mapper is starting to recognize the difference between good and bad maps. One flaw nags me throughout, however. Having to jump twice to get out of the water felt annoying, as did the flight of stairs just to get drill bomb. Otherwise, it felt fun. Just like the maps are supposed to.

=Wily Stage 2=(KAP05)
Note how I write smaller columns as we go down the pack. That's because this map shows the growth of a mapper, as he begins to learn his mistakes. This map, however, might be a bit longer than the last one. When you make a map that's symmetrical, they should at least be pretty. This map, however doesn't seem too beautiful to look at. The textures never stand out and leave me begging for more, only to be handed generic light blue textures in a worthless effort to look appealing. The green wall textures aren't much of a help either. Weapon selection is not a problem at all, although I feel that the bigger weapons could be easier to get, and that rush coil would play a bigger role in this map pack. The layout isn't very good, although it's far from bad. An okay end to an okay map pack, I suppose.

- Bluebrawl, August 8, 2011

Hope this helps kapus. Great to see you mapping now!

August 09, 2011, 04:57:36 AM
Reply #11

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup

• View Profile
    • My art
Re: Pitchfork-esque review
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 04:57:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Before I actually respond to any of this, I would like to clarify something: The order in which the Kappak maps are listed is NOT the order in which they were made. For example, KAP01 is actually the last map to be made in the expansion, not the first. KAP03 was actually the second to last map I made, etc.

Quote from: "Bluebrawl"

Kapus - Kappak V1a
7.1/10
[breakout maps/ first maps]

The community loves Kapus, and Kapus loves the community back. From spriting for the mm7 expansion, to making maps in his spare time, Kapus has given back more than enough to the community. Clearly, Kapus is the closest thing we have to a role model. However, does his rep match his mapping skills? This review says the answer might surprise you.
I feel extremely flattered, but thanks.

=Gurgu Volcano=(KAP01)
A mediocre start to a solid map pack, if you ask me. The textures don't stray too far from what's expected, with a sweet blend of red on the inside, accompanied by orange on the out. It screams "I didn't want to make anything too risky, so I stuck to what's safe." If maps could speak, this map would speak in a mouse's voice and only say "fun" over and over in a monotone accent. That is to say that's a good thing. Playing these maps have many open spots that allow for a large amount of players to get at each other without the restraint of walls or tough navigation. It's what this map aims for, and it hits its mark with a satisfactory punch. The layout is somewhat bland, with inconvenient level heights. The weapons don't seem too solid either, with a powerful noise crush that outclasses almost every weapon, with the exception of the rolling cutter. The skybox is considered an issue, although I had opengl at the time of this review.
If you want improvement, I would say to make the weapon layout a little more solid and add more rush coils elsewhere. Otherwise, you're fine.
Ah, yes. Good, long paragraphs.

I agree that the weapon selection could use some more tweaking. I actually fiddled around with the weapon placement and selection quite a bit before the release. I'll see what I can do.
Already went back and added Rush Coil.

=Rocky Land=(KAP02)
This is another map that follows the same safe formula of the first. It feels like our dear mapper thought that making walls that weren't straight would fool me into not seeing the weak layout presented before me. item placement feels incredibly random, especially when the e-tank is laughably easy to acquire. Weapon choices are also a negative, with a lack of long-range weapons to really take advantage of the open space. This leaves noise crush to (again) dominate the map. Tomahawk should be put in more places to promote long range fights, while quick boomerang should get the boot since it's alongside wild coil, fire storm, and shadow blade.
This is actually a very good point that I had not considered. The outside portion of this map is very open, yet most of the weapons in this map are close ranged. Worse yet, the very close ranged weapons (Quick Boomerang and Fire Storm) were placed on the outside portion. I can definitely work at this.

I found nothing wrong with the actual map layout, though. The map seemed to flow perfectly fine when I was testing it. Could you elaborate on that, please?

Also, I could have sworn I removed that E tank already..

=Sapphire Caverns=(KAP03)
Our mapper is learning, and it shows in this map. The weapon selection isn't horribly imbalanced this time, with weapons like search snake, dive missle, and drill bomb to take advantage of the map's layout. Music is favorable in this stage, but the real flaw of this stage (aside from the water pit) is the lack of textures. there aren't many cave textures out there, but that is no excuse to simply stick to the same two colors and present a basic map. Otherwise, it's enjoyable. Also, a quick note: If you're going to make me jump up a freakin' flight of stairs, I better see something worth the effort. With search snake and drill bomb in this map, proto buster isn't as useful as you would think. Super adaptor, though...
I just want to say that this is my favorite map.

Yeah, I have gotten several complaints on the textures already, so I'm going to work at that. Proto Shield is already being replaced, too. I'm also planning on changing the water pit into an actual underwater sector.

=Wily Stage 1=(KAP04)
Our mapper is no longer as inexperienced as before, coming out with a more preferable map. With a good layout and solid weapon selection, our young mapper is starting to recognize the difference between good and bad maps. One flaw nags me throughout, however. Having to jump twice to get out of the water felt annoying, as did the flight of stairs just to get drill bomb. Otherwise, it felt fun. Just like the maps are supposed to.
Ordinarily I could just add Rush Coil to make the stairs easier, but that would defeat the whole purpose. Maybe I could just make the sector heights lower?

=Wily Stage 2=(KAP05)
Note how I write smaller columns as we go down the pack. That's because this map shows the growth of a mapper, as he begins to learn his mistakes. This map, however, might be a bit longer than the last one. When you make a map that's symmetrical, they should at least be pretty. This map, however doesn't seem too beautiful to look at. The textures never stand out and leave me begging for more, only to be handed generic light blue textures in a worthless effort to look appealing. The green wall textures aren't much of a help either. Weapon selection is not a problem at all, although I feel that the bigger weapons could be easier to get, and that rush coil would play a bigger role in this map pack. The layout isn't very good, although it's far from bad. An okay end to an okay map pack, I suppose.
I'm sorry, but, this map is based off of the second half of MM4's wily stage. I only used textures from those two wily stage levels, so I was kinda limited. I did my best!

Once again, thanks a lot for taking the time to write this. I'm working on v1b right now. Hopefully I can finish and release it tomorrow

August 09, 2011, 01:43:04 PM
Reply #12

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »
...Are you sure this was susposed to be released? There are lots of huge texture glitches everywhere. Some of the floor bits seem to be textured at random. Most of the maps are too small, with no real gimmicks at all. Some areas (Water pit in 03, random water texture above f cracker in 04) actually make it seem like you were going to add more areas in, but decided to cut them out. The death pits are placed in areas no one would fall into ever. The MM4 maps have only 2 of the actual mm4 weapons. Speaking of the MM4 stages, they aren't really based on them too much. There's no met area or similar anywhere in the first one. Finally, WHY SO MANY ROCKS? AHHHHHH.

August 09, 2011, 04:12:58 PM
Reply #13

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
I was testing these alone in Classes, so I won't go into detail about weapons or every map but here's the important details anyway:

KAP01: The boss music kept overiding my custom music. Also, add "Block Monsters" to the deathpit linedefs to stop bots from killing themselves.

KAP03: Make the water nondeadly, to provide some consistancy with KAP04. If the water really needs to be deadly, at least put some Blizzardman Spikes in there. Like KAP01, adding "Block Monsters" to the deathpit linedefs will prevent bots from suiciding.

KAP04: Remove the fake water opening above the Freeze Cracker.

Other than that, good work so far!

August 09, 2011, 05:21:47 PM
Reply #14

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »
Quote from: "Gummywormz"
...Are you sure this was susposed to be released? There are lots of huge texture glitches everywhere. Some of the floor bits seem to be textured at random. Most of the maps are too small, with no real gimmicks at all. Some areas (Water pit in 03, random water texture above f cracker in 04) actually make it seem like you were going to add more areas in, but decided to cut them out. The death pits are placed in areas no one would fall into ever. The MM4 maps have only 2 of the actual mm4 weapons. Speaking of the MM4 stages, they aren't really based on them too much. There's no met area or similar anywhere in the first one. Finally, WHY SO MANY ROCKS? AHHHHHH.
Yes, I was ready to release this. The only texture glitches were the two skyboxes and a couple of things in MM4DW1. I had no idea the skybox would go crazy in Software mode, so I didn't test that. The MM4DW1 texture problems were actually fixed. The map just didn't save for some reason.

he death pits are placed in areas no one would fall into ever.
I'm gonna assume you mean Sapphire Caverns and Gurgu mountain. Not all death pits are used for actual traps; I often use them for decoration to make the map look nicer.

Also, I have seen people fall down in Gurgu mountain quite a few times before, so you're wrong about that.

he MM4 maps have only 2 of the actual mm4 weapons.
Already working on that. Keep in mind, though: Actual weapon balance comes first. If a MM4 weapon would be underpowered or overpowered in said map, I wouldn't add it.

There's no met area or similar anywhere in the first one.
Play the Mega Man 4 and go to the Wily Stages. Then come back here. Both maps are completely based on the 4 Wily stages.

KAP01: The boss music kept overiding my custom music. Also, add "Block Monsters" to the deathpit linedefs to stop bots from killing themselves.
I believe the boss music starts again when someone else triggers the "last 5 frags" song. Nothing I can do about that, and not really a problem anyway.

KAP03: Make the water nondeadly, to provide some consistancy with KAP04. If the water really needs to be deadly, at least put some Blizzardman Spikes in there. Like KAP01, adding "Block Monsters" to the deathpit linedefs will prevent bots from suiciding.
Yeah, I'm already working on making the water non deadly, so don't worry about that. MM4DW1 and Sapphire Caverns have nothing to do with each other in terms of design, so I wouldn't worry about making it consistent. I hadn't really considered the issue with bots so much, but I'll add block monsters if everyone wants.

KAP04: Remove the fake water opening above the Freeze Cracker.
As I stated many times now, that was a bug I fixed before release that didn't save for some reason. Fixed for real now.