Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ghouls vs Humans v3b7 Beta (beta12)- some playtesting wanted  (Read 15597 times)

March 14, 2016, 03:52:57 PM
Read 15597 times

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

• View Profile
Ghouls vs Humans v3b7 Beta (beta12)- some playtesting wanted
« on: March 14, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »
So it's been a long while since any update, and some might consider it a wasted effort, but i had too much free time and decided to slowly update GVH bit by bit as a side-project to keep me busy. And it's gotten to a sizable point where it could probably be released as the next version, but it has some new technical additions which are still somewhat experimental so playtesting would reveal any problems so they can be fixed for release.

The update focuses on extra options towards teamwork, giving almost all of the classes an additional ability they can use to help their teammates (and sometimes themselves, too). A few buffs and nerfs got handed out like usual, and various general systems have been changed or improved, such as team balancing punishing team stacking more heavily with even higher buffs, should players intentionally stack the teams.
Some newly added abilities may seem a tad 'meh', but they where meant to aid your team, not make you a pro solo team wrecker. But otherwise, it's the good ol GVH you know and love (or that i ruined, but opinions vary). If you're sick of the new GVH spinoffs people keep making by all means give it a look.

Changelist:
(click to show/hide)
Download:
http://www.best-ever.org/download?file= ... beta12.pk3
http://www.best-ever.org/download?file= ... beta11.pk3
Older versions:
http://www.best-ever.org/download?file= ... beta11.pk3
http://www.best-ever.org/download?file= ... beta10.pk3
http://www.best-ever.org/download?file= ... -beta9.pk3
http://www.best-ever.org/download?file= ... -beta9.pk3

So, by all means, give it a go and post any feedback here if you want, on what might need changing. Assuming people still care about the original GVH anymore, anyway. :P
And i'm way too lazy to try and figure out IRC again to host a BE server, anyway (wish they'd simply have a webpage for that, by now), so if anyone else wants to give it a try, go ahead and host it on BE.
There's also been improvements to the singleplayer, like better TLMS matches, improved bot AI, being able to select Flames of the Spire in the menu, and whatnot.
(Edit: And if you want to use the slightly-improved bot AI on multiplayer, set gvh_advancedbots to 1. Or gvh_superbots 1, which is similar to the other, but lets bots cheat a little with bot-only special attacks.)

Now to wait it out and see if anyone still remotely cares. :P

March 14, 2016, 04:38:15 PM
Reply #1

Knux

Re: Ghouls vs Humans v3b7 Beta - some playtesting wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:38:15 PM »
Oh, it's been far too long. I gave LoD and the other mods a try, but they were ridden with unbalance. I'll try out this update and get back to you later.

EDIT: It doesn't appear to run with Zandronum. It gives the following error:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "gvhv3b7-beta9.pk3:actors/noitems.txt" line 302:
Replaced type 'RedArmor' not found in Nothing31

March 14, 2016, 05:09:06 PM
Reply #2

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »

March 14, 2016, 06:25:23 PM
Reply #3

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:23 PM »
That might work, though most people i see hosting stuff on Zandronum use the Skulltag_Actors_1-1-1.pk3 (or its older version, Skulltag_Actors.pk3) and Skulltag_Data_126.pk3 files, in any order, and load the GVH files after those. Hm, should probably update the readme inside GVH sometime about the Skulltag files, i'm not too up-to-date about those, i just use whatever everyone else uses, ussually.

You should be able to find the latest version of those files by simply having your server browser look for and download the files.

March 14, 2016, 09:45:23 PM
Reply #4

Knux

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:45:23 PM »
It appears that none of those files help. I even downloaded other versions of them to try, but no dice. I'm not sure what's going on.

March 15, 2016, 08:28:40 AM
Reply #5

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
Hm, it SHOULD work if you load it in the following order (either by putting them in the list in your server browser in this order, or litterally reorganizing the files in this order before dragging them onto Zandronum):
[Use doom2.wad as your IWad - maybe you left in MM8BDM's IWad? It won't work with that.]
Skulltag_Data_126.pk3
Skulltag_Actors_1-1-1.pk3
GVHv3b7-beta9.pk3
GVHv3b7-yurei-battle-beta9.pk3
[Any other files here and lower.]

And of course make sure your Zandronum isn't too outdated, that might also cause problems since some updated features might make it impossible to run it on the old Zandronum. If problems still happen and you get a different error message i might be able to fix it if you post it here.

March 20, 2016, 05:31:11 PM
Reply #6

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »
Hm, got it working yet? The above-mentioned sequence of files should work if you're playing it on Zandronum, just hope MM8BDM's version of zandronum isn't too outdated for it to work, though.

Also did a minor update that probably fixed a few more things, and most notably adds the ability to use the Class Information menu while spectating, which is probably alot more helpful then trying to read and not-die while playing. It also has some newbie-friendly information in the spectator version, but that's about all that i can think of that changed.

But with today's audience it's probably not a bad idea anyway to make it more newbie-friendly anyway (information-wise, that is, gameplay's still as tough and competetive as ever). If it ever becomes popular again in between all the random wads aimed at casual co-op/survival play.

March 20, 2016, 05:56:36 PM
Reply #7

Knux

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »
I have separate folders for Zandronum and MM8BDM. Still, I figured my problem was loading the files in a certain order but none of the above worked, either.

March 20, 2016, 06:31:17 PM
Reply #8

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 06:31:17 PM »
Hm, odd, normally it should work fine like that. I guess you also made sure to load it with the proper IWAD (doom2.wad, i assume), instead of using MM8BDM's IWAD?
The only possible problems i could think of is the downloaded files being corrupted and thus not read, maybe re-downloading the files might do the trick. Or something went wrong in how you tried to run GVH, they have to be in that EXACT same order when dragging them onto the exe file (well, except ST actors and ST data, as long as they go before GVH any order works for them), maybe you'll have more luck doing this with a server browser, they ussually got singleplayer tabs, allowing for easy sorting of the wads.

Or if this happens with other things as well it could be a windows or security problem (i recall windows 10 being TERRIBLE with some server browsers), somehow rendering them unable to properly load files for servers, or even singleplayer. Different server browsing programs, or dragging them onto the exe manually might bypass this.

Edit: Updated it again. Main focus of this update was fixing some newly introduced things, like the spectator's classinfo menu (which has alot more useful info now, for those new to GVH, helping them learn the basics), and added some GL lights to various actions, projectiles and effects.
Yurei Battle got another small fix too, i suppose, though i can't really fix the whole glitchyness of swapping classes via a map change after defeating the yurei.

So the update mostly ended up being alot of polishing, bugfixing, and a few newbie-friendly messages, should today's audience ever consider trying GVH. And some things just look alot better with GL lights on them, especially dropped ghoul powers.

April 01, 2016, 06:19:26 PM
Reply #9

Knux

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 06:19:26 PM »
I fiddled with this again today to see if I could get it working. Apparently, turning off my skins folder and loading skulltag_content2.1a then GvH allowed it to run... weird. Anyway, after some testing, I've some stuff to report.

- The sonar effect for Sjas, the smoke grenades for the Marine, the Cyborg's Scanner alt and the Frost Clouds for Frostbite all have incredibly laggy effects.
- Sjas's Sonar ability continually tells the location of human corpses after his death, which is pretty confusing. This happened when playing as Creeper and Sjas having died for a while. Said effect is also laggy to the point of slowing down the game whenever it happens with all human corpses along the map. Took a screenshot of this in action.
(click to show/hide)
- While flying as Cyborg and using his normal Scan ability, the game suddenly called a "Divide by Zero" script which ended the scan. Not sure if this is intentional, but here's a screenie.
(click to show/hide)
I saw people hosting a v3b10 so I assume this might be irrelevant, but here you go.

EDIT: Checked with the skins folder on and it turns out that had nothing to do with the issue. Huh.

Also, why is it that I can no longer play the Human side's campaign?

April 02, 2016, 12:27:20 AM
Reply #10

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 12:27:20 AM »
Oh dang, this was updated, I'd better host this beta instead.

But yeah, I've been playing this with people and we've liked these changes, so far. Apparently some people get stuck in the class info screen while playing as hunter and have to reconnect but I can't reproduce that.

April 02, 2016, 09:09:33 PM
Reply #11

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »
Hm, it's understandable that the smoke and ice clouds, as well as cyborg's scan is a tad laggy (once multiple clouds get deployed anyway), but i wonder if it's your computer being very old? Otherwise i may need to tone them down, or limit them to like 2 or 4 at a time on the map. Atleast all the lag should be client-side, the way it's been coded. Do they start lagging after several are deployed or once merely ONE shows up? I dont know if this version has additional GL lights yet but the update i'm working on adds alot more, that could also be the cause of lag (though you can reduce or disable OpenGL lights entirely). Edit: Especially FB using 2 clouds + frost breath makes even my computer slow down when the lights are cranked up to max.

Sjas's ability lagging shouldn't happen though, especially if what i'm seeing is a LOT of echo's, which REALLY shouldn't happen. Guess i need to take a look at the scripts, make sure it only targets live enemies (assuming i missed adding that), or add some other limitations, i guess.
Though after all that testing (mostly vs bots) i never saw that bug before, oddly enough. Hm, maybe it's caused due to TLMS mechanics...?

Also you can play the Human campaign, just make sure to load up the Yurei Battle file with it as well, that one contains the Human campaign. If you don't include it, you'll get the default Ghoul campaign instead. If that doesn't work, then i guess that's another highly unusual bug.
Though i'm not sure if these bugs are there because of me or because your computer REALLY hates GVH, for some reason. Guess i'll also look into the cyborg issue, but it should let you fly when mid-air, and scan when on the ground.

Also good to see people are actually hosting it every now and then, guess i'll fiddle around with Hunter's class menu thing, gave it a good testing on TDM but i didn't fully take TLMS into account (TDM's just so much easier for testing things).
But next version should atleast fix the classinfo menu, and hopefully other bugs, too.
Edit: Also added the number of the latest beta version file to the topic name, so it should be easier to notice updates on a glance, i guess.
I also suspect having alot of custom content from the skins folder may screw things up, maybe it's more... stable without those included?
(Since the amount of stuff you can put in there is rediculous, you can even add in your own bots... As well as music, and who knows what else, besides just skins.)

Oh, wouldn't know a thing either about this v3b10 thing, either. Haven't seen it hosted by anyone yet, but it's not the official/original version. The original hasn't gone that far yet, version-wise, and at this rate i doubt it ever will, GVH's an old, old competetive gamemode, and those seem to die out in favour of casual stuff, and survival servers.

April 05, 2016, 05:54:28 PM
Reply #12

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: Ghouls vs Humans v3b7 Beta (beta12)- some playtesting wa
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »
Well, here's a update that hopefully fixes most issues, otherwise, i fear it might be your computer if you're the only one with these issues (it's not even meant to be POSSIBLE for the code to use sjas's echo on dead bodies!). Mostly just consists of fixes (and a few small changes), it's a little outdated, but still functional to play in Yurei Battle/Flames of the Spire.

Small changelist:
(click to show/hide)
Hm, got the singleplayer to work properly yet, or does your computer hate GVH just that much...? I couldn't recreate the other problems, maybe the file didn't download properly or something, or as mentioned before, your computer might just really not work well with GVH at all.

April 10, 2016, 05:10:10 AM
Reply #13

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 05:10:10 AM »
Is there any disadvantage of using the scanner as Cyborg? It might need some kind of limit or some reason to not use it sometimes. It feels a little OP.

April 10, 2016, 09:58:22 AM
Reply #14

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »
Hm, it has no real drawbacks (though you can turn it off if the blue stuff hurts your head), though it's not as cheap as to mark a creeper crawling across the map, either. Hiding/sneaky enemies like Creeper, and Sjas whenever he's stationary will not get marked unless the cyborg is close enough, with the regular infinite duration scan. The primary fire scanner won't mark targets through walls either, unless you are basically almost standing next to them.

The altfire scan temporarily marks them all in a reasonable range, even through obstacles, but he can't fire his arm while performing that action, so it's more of a backup tool to let camping humans know their enemy's whereabouts, or let humans see enemies through smoke clouds. Or just to find enemies to shoot at.
The main idea behind the scanner was so that Cyborg wouldn't have so much trouble focus-firing on nearby targets because those giant plasma shots take up practically half your vision, and Creepers are a real bitch to find and shoot without such aids, so it helps the cyborg, who has no area of effect weapon to counteract Creepers otherwise.

But i suppose if that ends up being too much, it's easily nerfed in various ways. Hm, i assume there was no lag for people using Cyborg's scanner or Sjas's echo ability? Those scripts can be somewhat intensive, and i had to switch them all to clientside so they wouldn't destroy the server's bandwith. So far this seems to have worked out fine.