Advanced Search

Author Topic: Unofficial MM8BDM Release on OS X  (Read 58339 times)

May 16, 2011, 07:56:38 PM
Reply #15

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
Re: Unofficial MM8BDM Release on OS X
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »
Hey, could you perhaps post the last version made without the OS X installer?
A friend of mine borrows a Macbook laptop and can't access the admin password, which in short does not allow him to install it.

May 16, 2011, 08:05:11 PM
Reply #16

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 28, 2011, 12:48:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.belthesar.com
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »
Quote from: "sonicfan966"
Hey, could you perhaps post the last version made without the OS X installer?
A friend of mine borrows a Macbook laptop and can't access the admin password, which in short does not allow him to install it.

Sure! I'll see about putting up a non-packaged install up later tonight.  To tide him over, he could always download r004.  I keep all the previous versions available for anyone to download here @ http://belthesar.com/mm8bdm/. You can use DoomSeeker to get Roll's Chaos Generator if you wanted that way.  

Technically, you can install my port of MM8BDM to any folder.  It's not going to hurt anything if you install it on another computer and then copy the install to another computer, or even run it off of a flash drive.  That way, if he doesn't borrow the same MacBook he can always play without having to install anything.  Hope that helps?

June 09, 2011, 05:48:48 AM
Reply #17

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 04:56:24 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 05:48:48 AM »
When will the application be updated to v2?

June 09, 2011, 12:45:33 PM
Reply #18

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
Quote from: "theanjo"
When will the application be updated to v2?
When v2 is released for PC, I'll work hard to make sure the Mac release will follow.

I may hold off and see if the release is sooner rather than later, and update the package with the Powered Up and ?-Box WADs then.

July 18, 2011, 01:27:35 AM
Reply #19

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 01:27:35 AM »
I am able to play v2b since all you need to do is move files. All I need to do is wait for you to update Wineskin.

...that is if you're still active.

July 18, 2011, 01:04:59 PM
Reply #20

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
So... oops! Apparently I lost track of this project and didn't notice that it's been released to v2. Suppose I should get on a new build of the wrapper. You can probably look forward to a release tonight or tomorrow.

If you're curious as to what's been taking my time, I've been organizing a Mega Man themed video game marathon to support Child's Play.

July 20, 2011, 12:33:56 AM
Reply #21

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »
Great! I can't wait for the new release. I just hope that there are performance updates as well since some binds lag me severely to the point that I crash.

July 24, 2011, 06:11:20 PM
Reply #22

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 06:11:20 PM »
Hey all.  I know I haven't posted a v2 update right now, and I'm sorry about that, but there's reason behind it.  One of my goals is to always maintain compatibility with the latest version of OS X when it comes to my port of MM8BDM, and it's that desire that's a hitch in the release.  For those that are interested, I'll give you a little background info below:

I'm having trouble with the current version of Skulltag.  It seems that when launching the game, after loading the FMOD library (fmodex.dll), the game hangs.  Running the game with the "nosound" flag bypasses FMOD, and causes the game to load without a hitch.  which requires a specific version of the FMOD sound library.  Skulltag version-checks the libraries it uses, so trying a newer or older version of FMOD, at least for now, isn't doable, as Skulltag sees the version has changed, and then runs with the nosound flag to bypass loading the sounds.

Now, given that I'm running Lion now, I can't test if this works for Snow Leopard or older.  It's completely possible this is a Lion-specific issue, and that the issue may not exist in older versions of the OS.  If someone wants to try running this on SL or Leo, I'll upload a copy of the WIP of this release (r006) for them to test it, and if it works, I'll release it with the disclaimer that it doesn't work for Lion yet.  Thanks for your patience.

Update: I'm exploring the possibility of redoing the port with the native version of Skulltag. I've successfully been able to launch v2b code with no hitches on local games, and am now working on how to make it nice and neat.  Should I not be able to resolve my Skulltag issues running it in the original WINE wrapper, I'm pretty sure this will work, and give us the same functionality, if not better.

August 05, 2011, 07:02:30 PM
Reply #23

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
Hello belthesar,

I would like to thank you very, very, very much for providing us mac goons with such a amazing piece of work!

Just downloaded the v1d-r005 version from your site and it works great!

Of course, there is always something:
I can't play at all in full screen mode.
The software runs fine (based on the sounds, haha), but all I see is a sand coloured rectangle of nothingness.
It makes no difference if I am starting in full screen or if I am switching in game.
When I am switching back to window mode it won't "recover" and still shows that odd error.
My MacBook runs under OS X 10.6.8.

Not the end of the world, but I thought I better give you that feedback.
Haven't tested the multiplayer mode yet ;)

Again, love what you've done.
After the initial release, I nearly went mad about the "mac version" and gave up on it. So goood to finally join the MM8bDM madness!

Keep up the good work!

August 07, 2011, 02:14:43 AM
Reply #24

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 02:14:43 AM »
On an unrelated note, I am very curious about creating stuff in MM8BDM. Is it possible to make wrappers for something like Slade, SlumpED, or DoomBuilder? I'd like to know how Wineskin works.

August 07, 2011, 04:02:53 AM
Reply #25

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 04:02:53 AM »
Quote from: "Gonzo"
SNIP:
I can't play at all in full screen mode.
The software runs fine (based on the sounds, haha), but all I see is a sand coloured rectangle of nothingness.
It makes no difference if I am starting in full screen or if I am switching in game.
When I am switching back to window mode it won't "recover" and still shows that odd error.

What video card is in your MacBook?  I had hypothesized that Intel GMA graphics would be sufficient, but I might have been mistaken. I also haven't tested this vs. ATI graphics cards, so that might be a problem as well.

This might be patched with later versions, depending on the wrapper vs. native question and how it is resolved.  We'll see.

August 08, 2011, 12:36:58 PM
Reply #26

Anonymous

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »
It is an Intel GMA 950 with 64MB VRAM.

Also something I noted (which might have been answered somewhere else already), every time I try to save my game in Single Player mode i get the message "You can't save while bots in use".

On the other hand, auto save seems not working.
It saved once after changing my skin and controls, but thats it. That "save" is not shown under the save games, it just comes up when I start a new game...
Always have to replay the levels, starting with Cutmans stage.

Do I overlook something or is it just not possible to save in single player mode?

Thanks for any comments.

August 08, 2011, 05:40:59 PM
Reply #27

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
Due to the way MM8BDM works, you cannot manually save the game. The game auto saves after every chapter.

August 29, 2011, 04:26:54 AM
Reply #28

Anonymous

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 04:26:54 AM »
Hey guys!

I recently downloaded the latest version o MM8BDM and I am having a big issue! As soon as I open the launcher and hit start, full screen mode comes up and there is only a white visible. I am unable to exit out or anything from the screen. When I press buttons on the keyboard, I am able to hear sounds and menu confirms. But still no dice on the video. I read the thread and read something similar to my problem with black pixels or so, but nothing like my problem. Is anyone experiencing the same problem? Is there a status update if there is a fix in the works? Thanks for any help guys!

My specs are:

Macbook pro 15"
Mac OS X 10.6.8
2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB's of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (VRAM 128 mb)
MM8BDM -  v1d-r005

August 29, 2011, 01:25:09 PM
Reply #29

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
Quote from: "plexiglas"
...As soon as I open the launcher and hit start, full screen mode comes up and there is only a white visible.

I had this happen just when I was testing v2c, and it happened to me as well.  There seems to be an issue with some clients starting in full screen mode.  As a quick work around, press Command+Return on you keyboard to put MM8BDM in Windowed mode.  Close the window, and then restart MM8BDM.  This will get around the full screen white problem.

Speaking of v2c, it seems that the upgrade in Skulltag has fixed our crashing issue with the wrapper, but I'm currently having an issue with the sound system crashing mid game.  I haven't had time to seriously debug it yet.  I'm still in the process of working on the non-wrapper version of MM8BDM for Mac.  That may end up being a little more promising, but we shall see.

UPDATE:  Nope.  Sound crashing midgame has made MM8BDM unplayable.  That said, I think I've completed my new version of MM8BDM using the Mac version of Skulltag.  Works fairly well.  The only problem I foresee is that users from the old MM8BDM for Mac may lose their Skulltag and Doomseeker configs.  I'm packaging up the update now and uploading it to my server.  Should be released in about a half hour.