Advanced Search

Author Topic: General Offtopic Discussion  (Read 3124316 times)

March 24, 2016, 11:51:43 PM
Reply #21345

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
#Make8bdmGreatAgain
« Reply #21345 on: March 24, 2016, 11:51:43 PM »
It's no wonder I've been wanting to leave so desperately. The amount of elitism that has always been going around is disgusting and is pretty much what has ruining the community for me. I love MM8BDM. It's one of 2 FPS games that I've put many hours into. There's still a good amount of room for improvement however, and the theme if the game and amount of content is likely what's kept me playing all these years. Well, the first few years at least, cause y'know, empty servers and whatnot. I've made some great friends, yeah, but also a bunch of enemies despite which I seem to have made simply because I exist.

Years ago I made a map that I put many hours into and was very happy with the result. Did I release the map publicly? Course not! Since I'm not one of the higher ups, most people that would play the map would just tear it apart for their own ego. I'd love to be able to contribute to the core game in some way, but why should I bother trying when most of the devs hate me and laugh at me for trying? There's no issue in what I can do, it's just that I happen to not be one of those higher-ups.

About half a year ago I rejoined a Skype group chat. It was (mostly) lots of fun at the time, but I had to leave due to stress. 2 particular people which I won't say the names of where really pissing me off with their hatefulness and arrogance and, well, it seemed to go unnoticed because somehow they're just amazing and respectable people. I feel like it's safe to assume that half the core expansion dev chat would be like that. Filled with hateful and arrogant people that will talk shit whoever isn't part of their friend group. I can't contribute to this game that I love so much simply because the team would put my life on the line.

Sorry if I took my ranting too far, but it's about time stuff like this got said. This sort of issue shouldn't go unnoticed.

March 25, 2016, 01:19:53 AM
Reply #21346

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
Re: General Offtopic Discussion V.28
« Reply #21346 on: March 25, 2016, 01:19:53 AM »
I won't go into the controversies in the background, as the others above have already mentioned, but besides that, hardly anything occurs here anymore. I actually miss the old days of when Cutstuff was a thriving place, when I first joined. Loads of mods being posted. Map packs. Tons of screenshots being posted in the MM8BDM screenshots thread. The "Forum Games" section being packed with threads that's long gone out of existence. Where did those days go?

Nowadays, with Cutstuff's declining state, I've practically moved onto other stuff now.

March 25, 2016, 01:26:29 AM
Reply #21347

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
Re: General Offtopic Discussion
« Reply #21347 on: March 25, 2016, 01:26:29 AM »
fruit doesn't grow off dead trees

i don't know how you expect cutstuff to become a great place again when all we have is a single fangame with very little room for growth as a result of being a fangame

grab the good roleplayers and get them to do some worldbuilding because we're gonna make something fresh

as if

March 25, 2016, 01:29:44 AM
Reply #21348

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
by you i mean knux and bikdark
« Reply #21348 on: March 25, 2016, 01:29:44 AM »
well nobody's forcing you to keep playing it y'know

if you get physically ill or if it's bad for your health you might as well just stop playing it, you make it sound as if you're not having fun at all and you don't even have any hopes for it anymore, so why the hell keep playing? nobody's keepin the door closed for you.

March 25, 2016, 01:30:30 AM
Reply #21349

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #21349 on: March 25, 2016, 01:30:30 AM »
yeah beed that's what happens when you're the sole person posting in 90% in the game threads bud it tends to get boring

March 25, 2016, 01:32:04 AM
Reply #21350

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal

• View Profile
« Reply #21350 on: March 25, 2016, 01:32:04 AM »
i'm almost 100% sure beed values the forum games threads more than 8bdm itself since the beginning

March 25, 2016, 01:35:26 AM
Reply #21351

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
we doing this again
« Reply #21351 on: March 25, 2016, 01:35:26 AM »
i don't really come here much anymore because, as i said, there's really no fruit to grow

occasionally someone yells at the tree and expects it to magically do something but that's all that happens

8bdm sux

March 25, 2016, 01:38:07 AM
Reply #21352

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal

• View Profile
« Reply #21352 on: March 25, 2016, 01:38:07 AM »
i came here just now because i thought there would be fun controversy but it was just another case of old man yells at cloud

March 25, 2016, 01:40:12 AM
Reply #21353

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #21353 on: March 25, 2016, 01:40:12 AM »
sheesh. That escalated quickly.

The most I ever really do around these parts is hop into a C-TLMS server every once in a while. I barely play the game anymore and I've been reduced to a mere lurker on the forums. I've just about given up on making skins because why even bother? It's not like people play anything other than classes or unholy or what have you. That being said, I really don't have any other real reason to be here anymore.

i don't really have a reason to leave either

March 25, 2016, 01:42:44 AM
Reply #21354

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal

• View Profile
« Reply #21354 on: March 25, 2016, 01:42:44 AM »
i dont even play anymore and i dont think i know anyone anymore so i have no reason to be here other than looking for fun controversies :(

March 25, 2016, 01:51:34 AM
Reply #21355

Offline Watzup7856

• MM8BDM Extender

• You're nothing but peppered asscheeks to me
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=992
« Reply #21355 on: March 25, 2016, 01:51:34 AM »
Biscuit I'm extremely sorry about the Skype chat if that's what you're referencing. I won't deny that the elitism does exist.

The Tengu chat when I first joined used to be a lot more close as pretty much everyone had no problems with anyone else there. Although as of now, it has been kind of split with people talking behind one anothers back that are in the same chat. I realize I have also been a part of the circlejerk before which probably makes me a huge hypocrite, but honestly it just makes me feel guilty and sick. I'd rather just want to be able to cooperate with everyone, not just the Tengu chat. I truly believe everyone has good intentions, but some may not be able to properly express it, (this may include me at times).

Biscuit, if I've been an asshole to you ever, I'm extremely sorry and should've reached out before. This isn't just to you, but others I may have harmed before, I'm very sorry about it.

March 25, 2016, 02:23:56 AM
Reply #21356

Offline Muzaru

• Bugs/Suggestions Managers
  • Date Registered: November 27, 2010, 05:55:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #21356 on: March 25, 2016, 02:23:56 AM »
Quote from: "Beed28"
I won't go into the controversies in the background, as the others above have already mentioned, but besides that, hardly anything occurs here anymore. I actually miss the old days of when Cutstuff was a thriving place, when I first joined. Loads of mods being posted. Map packs. Tons of screenshots being posted in the MM8BDM screenshots thread. The "Forum Games" section being packed with threads that's long gone out of existence. Where did those days go?

Nowadays, with Cutstuff's declining state, I've practically moved onto other stuff now.

You can't leave us, Beed... Who will be our Jelly World ambassador?

March 25, 2016, 02:41:57 AM
Reply #21357

Knux

flawed as fuck
« Reply #21357 on: March 25, 2016, 02:41:57 AM »
Quote from: "Red"
*snip*
Yeah, this is the kind of shitposting that gives this site so much quality. Did you even bother to analyze my post? I think you're smart enough to figure out I meant most of the player base and not the game itself.

March 25, 2016, 02:59:30 AM
Reply #21358

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
Re: General Offtopic Discussion V.28
« Reply #21358 on: March 25, 2016, 02:59:30 AM »
Quote from: "Muzaru"
You can't leave us, Beed... Who will be our Jelly World ambassador?

Don't worry, I'm not entirely gone.

March 25, 2016, 03:03:33 AM
Reply #21359

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!
  • Date Registered: November 05, 2011, 12:47:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #21359 on: March 25, 2016, 03:03:33 AM »
I am unsure of how much "corruption" there is nor am I really aware of the full meaning of it's context being used so I am not sure how to comment on that or if whatever comments I have would hold any water.

Like Bikdark has stated, the game is indeed a simple non-for-profit game modification. However, I feel that the subject of quality should be handled with more leniency because of this. The developers and team members are ordinary young adults with lives outside of Cutstuff and 8BDM just like everyone else, and they are not being paid to develop it either. It is their similar passion and love for Mega Man and/or DOOM that has brought them together to develop something as ambitious as 8 Bit Deathmatch and even then, to continue to foster updates and tweaks after years of development. Yes, some of it may not be as polished as it could perhaps be and certain aspects such as balance may not have been handled as timely as it could have, but remember that there is always time to fix them and that making mistakes only provides an opportunity to fix them. There should be no shame in the developers having silly fun sometimes, either. As stated, this is something that is being worked on during everyone's free time and they are not gaining any financial benefit. They are doing labor for something they love, and it should not be seen as stressful or taxing.

If the game and interactions with some people has indeed gotten to a point of physical illness, I do agree that it is best to give yourself some time and space to recollect yourself. However, I do encourage to take advantage of an opportunity to reconcile with those you may hold a grudge with or with someone you may have hurt in the past, as it would lead to a much safer environment and give both parties a sense of relief.

While gossip is unfortunately an occurring thing, I am not sure how much I agree with how prominent the "elitism" is in the first place. What could be mistaken as cold behavior may be something else entirely. It is best to view everyone on equal ground regardless of background or experience to remind yourself of the humanity within each of us individually.

I feel there is a lot more to say and I am unsure if I worded things correctly since I am still gathering my thoughts, but I would like to request for us to hold more patience for each other. The recipe for the cake known as 8BDM is still one that is a work-in-progress, and I am sure with each passing update the resulting taste of it becomes more delicious.