Advanced Search

Author Topic: MM8BDM V4A - V4B Roll Call!  (Read 178323 times)

May 17, 2014, 09:54:01 PM
Reply #90

Offline Badz

• DOS Enthusiest
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2013, 08:30:32 PM

• View Profile
Re: MM8BDM V4A - RELEASED!
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2014, 09:54:01 PM »
I happened to have looked into the pk3, and found out that all the weapon obituaries got moved into the language file. Any particular reason why?

May 17, 2014, 09:58:43 PM
Reply #91

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2014, 09:58:43 PM »
Quote from: "Badz"
I happened to have looked into the pk3, and found out that all the weapon obituaries got moved into the language file. Any particular reason why?
Quite simple, it's easier to maintain. If we have to change an obit for one weapon, then we only need to edit one place.

As for everyone discussing layout changes, weapon balance, etc. I'm just going to hold off on commenting on that. I think everyone needs more than a day to really let the changes sink in. As v4b is going to be addressing gameplay related concerns, I will be starting up a thread at a later date for that sort of discussion.

May 17, 2014, 09:59:11 PM
Reply #92

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »
Simply put, weapon obituaries show up in more than one place now, so Ivory compiled them there to prevent having to edit them more than once more easily.
EDIT: Ninja Ivory

Additionally, this enables localization.

May 17, 2014, 10:29:53 PM
Reply #93

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2014, 10:29:53 PM »
Been enjoying the campaign...up until a certain point.

(click to show/hide)

May 17, 2014, 10:40:37 PM
Reply #94

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »
Right then, I'll try to glaze over the expansion as a whole.

First off, the skins look absolutely beautiful. My one qualm is with Magic Man: some of his rotations are hard to read. I thought I was facing someone's side until I took an Atomic Fire to the face.

Weapons:
• Tengu Blade is wonderful. It does a bit less damage than I expected, but its versatility is great.
• Copy Vision works surprisingly well. I appreciate that it doesn't spawn a new hologram if you keep the fire button down, instead requiring you to click again.
• Lightning Bolt is a great crowd-smearing weapon, though I feel it's too easy to reach in some places. Ground Man and King's Tower, especially.
• Ice Wall is one of my two favorite weapns, with both a defensive and utility application. I only wish it were easier to mount as you push it.
• Spread Drill sort of upsets me. It's terribly awkward to use and it seems to offer very little reward for landing a hit.
• Remote Mine is my other favorite weapon here. It has the potential to do a lot of damage if you know how to use it properly.
• Wave Burner is great and it feels good using it. I do feel like it's in too many maps, though.
• Magic Card is a very unique weapon, being that it pierces walls. It only seems to take advantage of that on two maps, though: Magic Man and King's Tower.
• Treble Boost is something I'm partial on, though one has to admit it's unique. A buster upgrade that uses ammo, but grants flight. Plus, it's beautiful aesthetically.
• A minute detail, but regardless, "Crash Bomb" will always bug the shit out of me.

Maps:
• The Robot Museum is aesthetically pleasing, and it stays true to the original stage as well. The map flows nicely, aside from the Blizzard Man ship.
• Tengu Man B has an interesting mechanic in the balloons, and it's a map that flows nicely overall. I do think there's just a bit too much purple in those textures, though.
• Astro Man B has an odd-looking skybox, but else it was a fun map. Each area seems to cater to the weapon that can be found in it.
• Dynamo Man caught me off-guard with the main conveyor belt. That aside, it was fun, and the weapon selection really catered to both the map's layout and the map's thematic value.
• Cold Man felt a little empty, but overall a fun map. I do wish the ice machines had generation frames so you could tell when it was about to spit out a block, aside from the sound.
• Ground Man was a little difficult to maneuver, but I did appreciate the sandfall gimmick. Lightning Bolt is just a bit too easy to access, though.
• Pirate Man was overly big, and the textures underwater gave me the impression that I wasn't even underwater (several other maps also suffer from this problem). The bubbles and mines were fun to mess with, though.
• Burner Man was a great "ambushing" map, and flowed nicely. The Big Telly seems to generate some lag online one in a while, though. It was beautiful, aesthetically.
• Magic Man was nice. The textures and actors really catered to the map's thematic value, and there's no doubt it's fun to poke around in all its nooks and crannies.
• King's Tower was beautiful, with some of the best-looking textures in the game. Lightning Bolt is a bit easy to access, but else it was a favorite of mine.
• Reclaimed King's Tower was a whole mess of textures, and map flow was questionable in some places. But one can't deny that the two different skyboxes were sexy as hell.
• Buster Rod G was a nice-looking map, but the textures felt overly-refined, to the point where they didn't look 8-bit. It sure played nicely, though, so I can't complain.
• Mega Water S has got to be my favorite map in the expansion. Glorious underwater textures, vertically enormous, Rush Marine dolphin-hopping, etc. I just love it.
• Hyper Storm H has some of the best flow in the expansion, I would argue. But it suffers from the same texture problems as Buster Rod G.
• Wily Tower 1 has an interesting fire-and-water motif, but there's almost too much going on for one to stomach. It looks like a CTF map in that regard.
• Wily Tower 2 was a fun map to play on. I don't remember it much, but I do remember it was structurally appealing and aesthetically pleasing.
• The general map improvements seem to be in the interest of map flow, and I appreciate every single change made.

Campaign details:
(click to show/hide)

All things considered, v4 set the bar higher than v3 did, and overall I'm very pleased with the expansion. I hope MM9, MM10, and MMV follow this trend. Kudos to everyone who helped out!

May 17, 2014, 10:47:16 PM
Reply #95

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2014, 10:47:16 PM »
I got to say: Those weapons are very powerful, but weapons in overall seems to have suffered reduced capacity. Not sure if related to the set difficulty or something.

The maps are amazing, but for a Software user they are a PAIN, "lagging" too much. Burner Man's map is the worst in this criteria, bordering unplayability sometimes. But, hey, it could be something related to bots + maps or maps alone, so... Can't say much. Curse me for Nvidia breaking NVOGLNT.DLL, which broke compatibility with Zandronum 1.2 and few other games in their OGL mode.

I like the way Remote Mine works, feels like MM&B really.

May 17, 2014, 10:48:32 PM
Reply #96

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »
Quote from: "Gumballtoid"
The difficulty is a bit over the top, though.

This is true, they are difficult but I did this on purpose as we are 9 games in now. Naturally the bosses have to get more challenging the further into the game you get!

The only drawback I noticed is when you play through that, and then you look back at the older content--chapters 1 through 6--and it just leaves you feeling unsatisfied or empty. Doc Robot Rush is easily the most boring boss I've ever seen, Guts Dozer is a close second, the Robot Master Endurance is unnecessary and monotonous, and Gamma gets tedious and frustrating after your first fight against him. Alien would have made a fantastic boss for chapter 2, and Doc Robot has so much potential as a boss. There's an obvious quality margin in terms of single player content that kind of itches at you

This reflects my skill progression developing bosses in general and shows the how different the dedication to the boss battles has grown. Originally they were just a lulzy bonus but as the game has evolved, the team has integrated the MM8BDM plot more. Perhaps in time the old bosses will get a tune up, but that time is not now.

May 17, 2014, 10:52:16 PM
Reply #97

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2014, 10:52:16 PM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
The difficulty is a bit over the top, though.

This is true, they are difficult but I did this on purpose as we are 9 games in now. Naturally the bosses have to get more challenging the further into the game you get!

Yes, I understand the bosses should get harder, but these current ones are way too difficult for me. I'll just have to watch the rest of the story on Youtube or else do some cheating, cause I do want to see the rest of the story from here on out...

May 17, 2014, 11:00:43 PM
Reply #98

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mNZAZgXYJo
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »
I had a good run.

Campaign spoilers.
(click to show/hide)

May 17, 2014, 11:39:09 PM
Reply #99

Offline Shadow Blade

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 14, 2012, 12:55:16 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »
My take on the bosses are like this

(click to show/hide)

May 18, 2014, 12:01:14 AM
Reply #100

Offline Zomo.exe

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 02, 2013, 09:57:52 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
I'll have to second GumBall's take on the fact that previous chapters, while at the time were pretty fun and interesting, but more recent versions of the mod show more of the time and effort that are put in. Needless to say, Team DeathMatch in a campaign? New weapons, items and effects? New way that scripting is organized? Let's see where modders will go this time around...

(click to show/hide)

May 18, 2014, 12:07:05 AM
Reply #101

Offline Xronim

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 06, 2013, 02:19:00 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »
Quote from: "Bikdark"
At least old heat was different. New heat looks absolutely terrible with those guardrails and the spaces in the floor.

Why complain then in several posts, just dont bother.

May 18, 2014, 12:14:31 AM
Reply #102

Offline The_Broker

• Global Moderator

• May the reunion begin soon!
  • Date Registered: October 04, 2010, 07:40:06 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:31 AM »
Quote from: "Xronim"
Quote from: "Bikdark"
At least old heat was different. New heat looks absolutely terrible with those guardrails and the spaces in the floor.

*Image removed*

EDIT: Thank you sir.

May 18, 2014, 12:42:05 AM
Reply #103

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2014, 12:42:05 AM »
Well.

(click to show/hide)

May 18, 2014, 01:01:02 AM
Reply #104

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2014, 01:01:02 AM »
Too busy in Vegas, might check out later or so...
Also, if I did come back from Vegas... should I really check this out?