Advanced Search

Author Topic: Screw Scramble - New team based game mode!  (Read 32854 times)

June 21, 2011, 06:28:15 AM
Reply #30

Offline Jc494

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: February 23, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

• View Profile
Re: Screw Scramble - New team based game mode!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 06:28:15 AM »
D'aw.... I had my own ideas for this mode... my idea being have a base for each team, and in it having a shop like system in which you could buy weapons in different tiers. (5 to 1, 5 being the most powerful weapons like topspin and they are bought randomly). To compensate for the shop system, there are no weapons in the battlefield, and just mainly energy. I was also thinking to have it that at the start of the game you can buy a level 3 tier weapon, but the screws you use to make weapons are not added into the team's fund of screws.

That was my idea though, This is Mike's original mod. If anyone would help me code this I'd supply the maps needed for it.

PM me if anyone is interested in doing to coding for this.

June 21, 2011, 07:33:17 AM
Reply #31

Offline Fanewgie

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 05, 2011, 11:17:55 PM

• View Profile
    • http://kevinxnelms.deviantart.com/
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »
Two big game-ending problems (that no one else has pointed out) I've seen have been:

- Team-stacking. Usually Team Light. Could be connected with what a few people have said about Auto typically spawning in the open and Reggae not? This isn't exactly a bug of course and it's simple enough for the server to switch to auto-select teams. Not exactly expecting Mike to do something about this.

- Suiciding. Many people diving into lava/pits when health is low so that the other team can't get their screws. Actually, not many people, it was usually the same two people on my server. This is only not an issue on Junk Man's stage since you can freeze the lava and still pick them up. Not sure if there's a solution for this or if maybe it's considered "strategy". Maybe have screws bounce on lava so that they can just eventually reach land or something. I kind of imagine something like a screw-only hit box above lava that pushes the screws out to land as they fall, although I'm not sure if this is at all feasible, without editing the maps themselves or otherwise.

Jack/J.C., I like your idea too! Maybe include purchases other than weapons (like base defenses?) and make it a destroy-the-other-team's-base mode instead of a screw-stocking mode.

June 21, 2011, 08:30:58 AM
Reply #32

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:58 AM »
Quote from: "Fanewgie"

- Team-stacking. Usually Team Light. Could be connected with what a few people have said about Auto typically spawning in the open and Reggae not? This isn't exactly a bug of course and it's simple enough for the server to switch to auto-select teams. Not exactly expecting Mike to do something about this.

- Suiciding. Many people diving into lava/pits when health is low so that the other team can't get their screws. Actually, not many people, it was usually the same two people on my server. This is only not an issue on Junk Man's stage since you can freeze the lava and still pick them up. Not sure if there's a solution for this or if maybe it's considered "strategy". Maybe have screws bounce on lava so that they can just eventually reach land or something. I kind of imagine something like a screw-only hit box above lava that pushes the screws out to land as they fall, although I'm not sure if this is at all feasible, without editing the maps themselves or otherwise.
Both of these problems are issues with the players themselves and not the actual mod.

Auto/Reggae spawning is still suspicious, though.

June 21, 2011, 08:48:10 AM
Reply #33

Offline Celebi

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: November 06, 2010, 11:11:51 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
Auto/Reggae spawn very often in the place of the first person spawn on the blue/red teams.

June 21, 2011, 01:18:06 PM
Reply #34

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »
Here's an idea on how to handle the reggae/auto spawns in TDM.  Instead of spawning at a player on enter, perhaps give everyone on a team an inventory item where they can choose where to spawn the character (then remove it from everyone's inventory once it's used).  Or restrict it so that only when a player has gotten 2 frags they get it, or something like that.  Also perhaps to fix the waterfall bug issue, perhaps have it so that if the zheight of the character is ever above 0 it just respawns somewhere.  Just thoughts that popped into my head.  It's a crazy fun/rage inducing mode, but some stages such as crash man can completely trash the balance of the teams depending on where the first player spawns.

Also I have a personal gripe with the 'slowing' down when you are carrying more screws.  I think that the risk/reward of getting screws is generally enough without penalizing a player for doing well.  Hell, if anything I think screws should speed you up a bit.

June 21, 2011, 02:01:26 PM
Reply #35

Offline MegaTuga

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 25, 2011, 12:00:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 02:01:26 PM »
Nice mode! Very cool actually. Mind a little suggestion?

How about screws randomly spawning in the stage? Just like in the real game you don't have to kill an enemy to get a screw you know. Some are placed in several areas... strategically placed...

Just a suggestion.

June 21, 2011, 02:44:33 PM
Reply #36

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »
Quote from: "Celebi"
Auto/Reggae spawn very often in the place of the first person spawn on the blue/red teams.

Not just very often, that's how it works!

Quote from: "Messatsu"
Here's an idea on how to handle the reggae/auto spawns in TDM.  Instead of spawning at a player on enter, perhaps give everyone on a team an inventory item where they can choose where to spawn the character (then remove it from everyone's inventory once it's used).

I can imagine people just spamming the use inventory key to get it down immediately where they are, regardless of their closeness to the team. As you can imagine, it would be very difficult to manage the spawn locations to keep them as far away as possible AND have them accessible for both players... for every single map without editing them. Until someone gives me an idea on how it could be done, they'll stay as they are.

I guess I'll just remove the slow down thing for screw pickups. Perhaps Auto/Reggae should heal fully you if you get ANY of the bonuses?

June 21, 2011, 03:28:27 PM
Reply #37

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »
Hm, that's a good idea.  Here's some brain dump variations that popped into my head /shrug

5 screws - nets you a wtank (or two?) + half health
10 screws - mtank + full health (Maybe regen rune?)
20 screws - Rage + full health + Mtank + 1 wtank
30 screws - Spread + fullhealth and Ammo + Mtank + 2 wtanks

A small problem right now is let's say you get spread rune and then get 25 screws.  You won't want to go back to auto/reggae because you'd be downgraded to rage instead of spread.  So I think that the effects should stack and be improved as you move up the ladder and the ACS should check to see if you have spread before handing out rage.

June 21, 2011, 05:15:37 PM
Reply #38

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I think that spread should be given at a higher amount of screws than 30. I mean it CAN be hard to get 30 screws at times, but other times it's almost too easy. So maybe just a little bit higher would be good.

June 21, 2011, 06:00:32 PM
Reply #39

Offline TheBladeRoden

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 14, 2010, 07:26:58 PM

• View Profile
    • TheBladeRoden's Home Page
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Corvus"
D'aw.... I had my own ideas for this mode... my idea being have a base for each team, and in it having a shop like system in which you could buy weapons in different tiers. (5 to 1, 5 being the most powerful weapons like topspin and they are bought randomly). To compensate for the shop system, there are no weapons in the battlefield, and just mainly energy. I was also thinking to have it that at the start of the game you can buy a level 3 tier weapon, but the screws you use to make weapons are not added into the team's fund of screws.

That was my idea though, This is Mike's original mod. If anyone would help me code this I'd supply the maps needed for it.

PM me if anyone is interested in doing to coding for this.

I kinda like this idea, reminds me of Savage

June 21, 2011, 07:16:47 PM
Reply #40

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
Quote from: "Fanewgie"
Jack/J.C., I like your idea too! Maybe include purchases other than weapons (like base defenses?) and make it a destroy-the-other-team's-base mode instead of a screw-stocking mode.

Son of a....

I was JUST about to post something like this until I found the Screw Scramble thread. I was actually inspired by the new Treble Sentry item, as well as my experiences in offline bot matches when the bots get Sakugarne and bounce nonstop like a rampaging SpringMan. I was also inspired by, oddly enough, Rage Roboenza and Advance Wars!

Let me go write some stuff down.

June 21, 2011, 10:03:27 PM
Reply #41

Offline Tails

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 02:26:40 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
It's a shame it's not as popular as Mafia, I really like this mode D:

June 21, 2011, 10:20:16 PM
Reply #42

Offline Kenkoru

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: February 13, 2011, 05:59:03 AM

• View Profile
THIS MODE MAKES ME SO ANGRY ASJHGAHAFKLNMLSKHTMLDAKMDKL;STMG
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 10:20:16 PM »
No other game mode has made me rage as much as this one.

I love it.

June 21, 2011, 11:46:35 PM
Reply #43

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: December 03, 2010, 07:35:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 11:46:35 PM »
It should probably scale the number of screws needed for bonuses based on the number of players.

Great mode!

June 22, 2011, 02:26:38 AM
Reply #44

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 02:26:38 AM »
I had a go at that but I couldn't find a formula that seemed to balance it well for both few and large number of players. If you think you can do one that seems fair, go for it and I'll put it in!