Advanced Search

Author Topic: Crash upon entering Auto's training center  (Read 3232 times)

November 02, 2010, 03:47:19 PM
Read 3232 times

Offline Relias

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 02, 2010, 04:56:39 AM

• View Profile
Crash upon entering Auto's training center
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »
So I'm up to chapter 3 in singleplayer and have played probably close to 2 hours online, and have had no problems.  But this one thing's been happening since I first grabbed the game...  Stepping into the teleporter in front of Auto will very briefly bring up an empty menu saying something like "select weapon" and then immediately the game crashes.

Here are the contents of the three options in the "Details" tab of the "Skulltag Very Fatal Error" prompt that comes up after it crashes;

report.txt:
(click to show/hide)

minidump.mdmp (this one's quite massive and just a bunch of cryptic values, it far overloads the character limit)

local.txt:
(click to show/hide)

November 02, 2010, 03:50:06 PM
Reply #1

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
Re: Crash upon entering Auto's training center
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
This is some kind of bizzare rendering issue that goes back to GZDoom (so even the skulltag dev team might not be able to fix it).

One option is to change the resolution to something simple like 800 x 600. This worked for one forum user (who I can't remember for the life of me). You could also try changing the renderer mode to OpenGL or visa versa.

November 02, 2010, 04:29:06 PM
Reply #2

Offline Joseph Collins

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Lv. 33 Pogo Fan
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2010, 04:47:35 AM

• View Profile
    • http://josephlithius.tumblr.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
This worked for one forum user (who I can't remember for the life of me).
T_T  I thought we had something special, Mikey!  How cruel!!

In all honesty, I don't know why my issues disappeared like they did.  I can get into Auto's training sim at all resolutions without issue.  I didn't change a bloody thing in the display or video settings, either...  The only thing I can think that happened -- and this is a wild longshot, mind you -- is that beating Chapter 2, or beating the game completely, somehow made it so the training menu displays properly under what would be considered "irregular" resolutions.  Why that would affect what resolutions the menu displays at properly is beyond me, though...

But yeah, 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 until you beat Chapter 2 (unconfirmed!) or so is a "poorman's solution", but a solution nonetheless.

November 02, 2010, 04:35:04 PM
Reply #3

Offline Relias

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
Well, switching to OpenGL didn't work.  Changing the resolution didn't work.  Playing with other video settings didn't work...

But then I found out what it was.
Text scaling!

I had it turned on due to 16:9 resolution making the text kinda really tiny, though most "doom-style" text messages only last for like a second anyway, so I usually have to go into console if I need to read something.  I don't really notice a difference in graphic quality of course no matter what resolution I use, so maybe I should just use one small enough to make the text easy on my poor eyes even without scaling.

At least now I can get into the training room, the weapon descriptions alone when you're standing on the teleporter are really nice and helpful :3

November 02, 2010, 04:43:53 PM
Reply #4

Offline Joseph Collins

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Lv. 33 Pogo Fan
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2010, 04:47:35 AM

• View Profile
    • http://josephlithius.tumblr.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:43:53 PM »
Aaaaah...  Confirmed!  For some reason...  Very, very strange, considering I had his training thing working with text scaled up to a custom resolution...  And now it crashes.  *shakes head*

November 02, 2010, 11:28:04 PM
Reply #5

Offline Relias

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 11:28:04 PM »
Well, it ends up that it DOES work, after turning it to anything besides the default value of 320x280 or something along those lines, which is actually smaller of a resolution than anything selectable via the bar.  I find 640x480 text scaling acceptable, though I wish I could get the text a little bit bigger without freaking out the training room.  Custom values seem to universally cause it to crash.