Advanced Search

Author Topic: "Show some Love for CTF" {Voting Closed: Results Are In!}  (Read 49698 times)

June 15, 2012, 04:34:05 AM
Reply #300

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
Re: "Show some Love for CTF" Mapping Compo! {Voting Phase}
« Reply #300 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:05 AM »
I haven't actually played on ALL the maps yet. (Mainly stuff from the second pack) So I'll be a little while to gather my votes.

June 15, 2012, 04:39:15 AM
Reply #301

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #301 on: June 15, 2012, 04:39:15 AM »
Man... 18 maps and they're all gorgeous, and shit over my standard of maps in terms of quality. Well done all those who entered, I definitely want a good chunk of these in the main build if people are happy with em.

Really, they're that good! We need more mapping competitions!

June 15, 2012, 04:48:14 AM
Reply #302

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2012, 04:48:14 AM »
Aye. It was fun testing them all out, too. And we got to see some old faces return just for the occasion, as well.

June 15, 2012, 06:23:43 AM
Reply #303

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
Important: I've extended voting until the end of Sunday. That should give plenty of time for running through the maps in the servers.

June 15, 2012, 06:26:18 AM
Reply #304

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2012, 06:26:18 AM »
Now that I've finally played them all, I think it's fair that I comment on the rest of them:

CTFC07 - Spaced Out - Really good flow on this one, even with the low grav sections.
CTFC08 - I'm a Fish - I think the flag areas are a little TOOOO hard to reach sometimes, and it's easy to camp on when search snake doesn't even get up there. Also the water is a little un-obvious that it's water.
CTFC09 - Double Castle - Team spawning problems aside, this one is pretty good too!
CTFC10 - Triple Trouble - Even with the gimmicks I think this one is a bit too cramped, and it feels like you'd always favour going the middle route (through/around the sand) to get to the flags.
CTFC11 - Clash in the City - Good but the hyper bombs make it VERY HARD to get the flag sometimes!
CTFC12 - Deserted City - Huge and awesome, lots of things to make it so you can't make a b-line straight from one base to the other. Only thing I didn't like was the huge ladders that take ages to climb.
CTFC13 - Turbo Rumble - Looks nice but there's waaaaaaay too much flat ground here and no super ranged weapons to support it (MM8BDM lacks weapons that cover huge range sadly).
CTFC14 - Fleet Footed - Interesting one. It's flat but the tricky holes make the flag holder have to slow down, which works well. Only problem, stacking on top of people to climb on top of the map for safety (although I admired the team work!)
CTFC15 - Aeration Sun - Great flow, good weapon choices, solid map. Not sure if the ladders at the flags are necessary but it didn't make it too hard to grab the flag.
CTFC16 - Castle Seige - Good map, star crash kind of dominated the flag areas sadly though.
CTFC17 - Cliffside Clamour - Probably the best map flow in the competition! Only problem is it's a liiiiittle too small for those huge CTF parties. Also the middle area rarely gets used because of the ladders that slow you down.
CTFC18 - Irate Pirate Ships - Uhhh... well ONE time I got on a wave bike and didn't crash and immediately die!

June 15, 2012, 02:49:51 PM
Reply #305

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 15, 2012, 02:49:51 PM »
My comments on the maps:

Tunnel Network – Not a bad map, but the top feels a bit needlessly complex compared to the bottom.
Sacred Shrines – Rain Flush kills the map. That is all.
Lost Temple – My framerate dies whenever I look into the middle. Loving the SCII theme here, though.
Bondman's CTF Entry – Instead of entirely blocking off one team's flag, couldn't we have one garage on each side open?
Sky Castle – Love the gimmick. It feels a bit slow, but that's probably the engine's fault.
Crystal Crater – I thought it was a pretty good map. Fairly well laid out, looked nice texture-wise, overall solid.
Spaced Out – The skybox looks really cool. The multicolored “fog” was a nice touch. Feels a bit complex, but overall I like it.
I'm a fish~ – “Hey mommy! I can use 3D Floors!” ...Cynicism aside, not a bad map. Top feels kind of bland and open, though, and climbing a long ladder to get to the flag gets a little tedious.
Double Castle – ...Doesn't really stand out much. Just feels like a more complex version of Victory Isle.
Triple Trouble – The gimmick is really clever, but the lava is a bit obnoxious to get out of.
Clash in the City – The Hyper Bomb doesn't really do its intended job. Other than that, not a bad map.
Deserted City – ...I see what you did there with the name. Not a bad map overall.
Turbo Rumble – Very cool-looking.
Fleet Footed – ...Why are people allowed to get to the roof? Other than that, I thought it was fairly well executed.
Aeration Sun – Overall solid map. The music is good, though it doesn't sound 2A03, but we're not judging that. Neat use of textures to make the two sides feel subtly different despite the symmetrical layout.
Castle Siege – Reminds me of a paintball/laser tag field. Fairly good map, although Star Crash eats people alive.
Cliffside Clamour – Another really good map, though all the different paths make it a bit difficult to keep track of who's where.
Irate Pirate Ships – …Let's just say Best of Best Maps Ever is going to have a field day with this one.

Overall, good job, guys! Most of these maps were solid and would work well as add-ons if they don't get in, and the ones that weren't were still fairly fun to play.

June 15, 2012, 05:58:14 PM
Reply #306

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 15, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »
Quote from: "xColdxFusionx"
Triple Trouble – The gimmick is really clever, but the lava is a bit obnoxious to get out of.
Supposed to avoid that room when the lava is up, it was intended to be the center room at first to make people want to go around but then I'd have to have had to do something about the white flag being in lava half the time.  There is still an issue with the white flag, I'll mention that in a second though, but I do intend to fix it even if it doesn't make it in.
But an idea for the lava, if you fall under the middle floor, you are dead, you can't get out. But if you fall in and land in the middle, run backwards, the lava hurt pushed you backwards every time it hurts you so you can keep a steady pass if you are running that way, the hurt can even push you up ladders.

As for the white flag for SFCTF, if the flag returns to its starting point while the sand is at its peak it won't appear on top of the sand, I don't know why, by the second the sand starts moving down it will be there.  There are two ways I can fix this, make the sand an actual floor (I think I'm using it as a 3D floor atm) (but sadly that wouldn't work unless the entire platform the flag was on moved too), or place the white flag on a raised platform that moves along with the sand or just stays up above anyway.

Quote from: "xColdxFusionx"
Overall, good job, guys! Most of these maps were solid and would work well as add-ons if they don't get in, and the ones that weren't were still fairly fun to play.

As for this, I thought about maybe the people who's maps don't make it into vanilla fix problems with there maps and make a CTF map pack with them. We don't have enough CTF map packs.

June 15, 2012, 06:25:35 PM
Reply #307

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #307 on: June 15, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
As for this, I thought about maybe the people who's maps don't make it into vanilla fix problems with there maps and make a CTF map pack with them. We don't have enough CTF map packs.

Yeah. I think we should make a Cutstuff Cummunity CTF Map Pack, or somthing like that.

June 16, 2012, 05:40:25 PM
Reply #308

Offline OrangeMario

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: October 11, 2010, 02:07:46 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 16, 2012, 05:40:25 PM »
Because many of us in the community is having problems, savior sword kindly provided the manual connection IP to Mess's ctf compo server.

24.147.116.110:27890

Be sure to add all the compo map files in order to join!

June 16, 2012, 07:44:41 PM
Reply #309

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 16, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
sent in all my votes~

Oddly enough, for the "not the best but still really cool" votes I ended up picking two maps from each group. It's weird how things work out sometimes.

I'll be partying it up on the compo server so give me a shout!

June 16, 2012, 07:56:08 PM
Reply #310

Offline ProjectHazoid

• MM8BDM MM10 Contributor
  • Date Registered: March 29, 2012, 10:42:21 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 16, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
I dunno wtf's goin' on with mediafire but it just won't let me download the last few maps. leading me to a blank page each time. Even tried refreshing.

June 17, 2012, 06:59:04 PM
Reply #311

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: "Show some Love for CTF" {Voting Ends Tonight @ 11:59 PS
« Reply #311 on: June 17, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »
You have exactly 12 hours left if you have yet to vote. :ugeek:
I'll announce the winners tomorrow.

June 18, 2012, 06:59:11 AM
Reply #312

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: "Show some Love for CTF" {Voting Closed}
« Reply #312 on: June 18, 2012, 06:59:11 AM »
Voting is now closed. Thank you everyone. Stay tuned for the results tomorrow.

June 18, 2012, 07:01:08 AM
Reply #313

Offline Awbawlisk

• Warrior

• I can now see the rest of my medals again.
  • Date Registered: January 04, 2011, 02:18:59 AM

• View Profile
Re: "Show some Love for CTF" {Voting Closed: Results Tomorro
« Reply #313 on: June 18, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »
Can't Wait! But still... I must say, this was probably the funnest time I've ever had on MM8BDM all of this time... That's if that even makes since to anyone. :

June 18, 2012, 11:30:17 AM
Reply #314

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
Re: "Show some Love for CTF" {Voting Closed: Results Tomorro
« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree. I got to meet some new people in-game, and I usually stayed up really late just having a good time. It was just great.