Advanced Search

Author Topic: Infinity Squad [0.1.2]  (Read 9480 times)

December 09, 2016, 02:13:20 PM
Read 9480 times

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
Infinity Squad [0.1.2]
« on: December 09, 2016, 02:13:20 PM »
"It's cute." ~SmashBroPlusB
"whoa am i supposed to be playing doom or a fighting game" ~Infinite Phantasm
"9.8/10 not enough Undershirt" ~MeiValentine
"oh shit" ~Omega

==

Current Version: 0.1.2
Download: TSPG - Dropbox - Mediafire

==

Known Bugs
> This mod does not work properly if "Lose Inventory On Death" is not set to "True" under DMFlags. Set "Lose Inventory On Death" to "True" under DMFlags if you are hosting this mod.
> If you respawn in Cooperative mode and the boss is still alive, you are stuck with your default loadout.

==

Oh God, xCFx, what did you do this time

Infinity Squad casts you and a team of friends as a band of mercenaries with the goal of killing powerful entities and collecting powerful artifacts to aid you in your quests. It's designed with the goal of encouraging teamwork and strategizing with your fellow players and their diverse sets of skills to create a powerful fighting force and take on all comers.

tl;dr: Kill dudes and steal their stuff.

So what does this mod add, exactly?

> Four new classes!
> Two new maps!
> One new boss!
> An Equipment and Loadout system!
> Status Conditions!
> Mayhem, chaos, and death for everyone!

This all seems kind of complicated.

Here, let me break it down for you.

(click to show/hide)

More detailed information can be found in the files, under README.

How do these classes work, anyway?
Each class behaves a bit differently, but follows the same basic formula.

Class Role
Classes are separated into four main roles, separated by their primary strengths. Any class can have properties of any role, but their primary role shows what they're most capable at.
(click to show/hide)
Main Weapon
The weapon in Slot 0 (And what you should be, in theory, holding when you spawn in) is your main weapon. Each main weapon has a main fire, an alt fire, and (in most cases) a few varieties of combo attacks. It pays to spend a bit of time learning how your weapon works before rushing into battle.

Do note that some weapon abilities cost Energy to use. Plan accordingly.

Skills
The weapons bound to slots 1, 2, and 3 are your skills. These typically cost more Energy to use and tend to be a bit more dramatic than your weapon attacks.

Infinity Skill
Over the course of the battle, a special kind of pickup known as Infinity Force may appear on the battlefield. Pick it up and activate it with [Use Item] to use your Infinity Skill!

(click to show/hide)

Infinity Skills are potent boosts, special attacks, or other powerful boons that can help sway the tide of battle if properly used. Be sure to coordinate with your team regarding who to give access to these special attacks.

What's this about equipment?
When you kill the boss, they will drop a piece of loot. This can be anything from a small trinket to a whole new weapon for you to play around with! Pick it up to unlock the gear for future use.

(click to show/hide)

Once you collect a piece of gear, it will be unlocked for all players. Be sure to check the Arming Stations out in the lobby and try out any combinations you like. Do bear in mind that you can only equip one item in each of the three slots (Weapon, Armor, and Accessory), so plan accordingly.

(click to show/hide)

Currently, since Copy Megaman is the only boss available to battle, he'll drop any piece of loot, chosen at random. The plan is that each boss will have their own unique set of drops in the final mod, and further gear will be available through a Forge system which will allow you to exchange duplicate gear for more items.

Status Conditions?
If you've played any RPG on the planet - heck, any game on the planet nowadays - you should know what a status condition is. I've provided a list of the status conditions in this mod below and in the README file within the mod for quick reference.

(click to show/hide)

Do the special attacks seriously tell you how to avoid them?
I figured it may be more convenient for new players to know attack mechanics ahead of time rather than simply blasting them in the face with things they don't know how to avoid. Never fear, however! I've added a CVAR for players who want to experience this mod in a more traditional, experimental style; set cl_longcallouts to "0" or "false" and Special Attack callouts will only display the attack's name. This variable is clientsided, so it should even work online!

Hey, what's up with the graphics?
Frankly, I'm not an artist. This entire mod was assembled by me with the exception of the arenas (provided by MeiValentine) and some assets stolen borrowed from Nido Force (with permission from SmashBro). Anyone willing to lend their talents to this project should definitely hit me up.

Hey, I found a bug!
Glad to hear it! Please inform me as soon as you can, and with as much detail as you can so I can hopefully do that thing where I make it stop happening in the next release. Just make sure it's not on this list here, first.

So what's your plans for the future?

> More bosses!
> More classes!
> More loot!
> A hub!
> Maybe a plot? Who knows!

December 10, 2016, 12:35:36 AM
Reply #1

Offline Jennifer

• Standard Member

• *Flaps arms*
  • Date Registered: October 31, 2010, 03:59:53 PM

• View Profile
Re: Infinity Squad [0.1.0]
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 12:35:36 AM »
Still really proud of how Copy Mega's arena turned out. Can't wait to see more future releases~<3

December 10, 2016, 08:58:38 PM
Reply #2

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 08:58:38 PM »
Here's a small list of bugs/suggestions on my test runs.

12/10/16 - all done offline cooperative, emulating multiplayer (and yes, I set Lose All Inventory on Death to true)
Bug?: Are you supposed to be able to use your skills while Infinity Force is active? For example, with Megaman, it usually makes you switch back to the Super Adaptor, but if you roll the mouse wheel enough, you can access them anyways. If you aren't supposed to be able to do that, I'd suggest just taking all skillweps from the player when Infinity Force is activated. If you are, well...it's currently very difficult to do so.
Suggestion: Please make different icons for Megaman's skills. Like RS for Rush Search.
Bug: Dashing with the Heroine can cause you to get stuck in the boss or his "reinforcements".
Suggestion: Can you replace the Rush Coil with something like the Rush Jet? It's pretty useless, and it's easier to differentiate a Rush Jet icon in the current skill set than it is Rush Coil.
Suggestion: Being the only class that relies on projectiles, Megaman is a much more effective class than the others. I've been able to beat Evil Mega numerous times without dying as Megaman alone. I'd suggest to either nerf his projectiles (eugh) or give the melee classes more rewarding damage to be ballsy enough to get in the boss's face.
Suggestion: If the boss doesn't already have a player:health ratio (I haven't checked it for myself), I'd suggest something like that. All coop-centric MM8BDM mods have it for good reason.

I like the strategic direction this mod wants to you to take, but the fact that Cooperative basically gives you unlimited lives, plus the fact that many, if not all the people who play this are more prone to rush in guns blazing rather than talk it over with others beforehand...Well, I don't think the community is ready for something like this. I haven't heard any opinions yet, though, so I could just as easily eat my words.

However, I myself am very intrigued by the idea of Destiny-esque raids in MM8BDM. If you continue to work on this, I'll definitely be watching.

December 10, 2016, 11:02:22 PM
Reply #3

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:02:22 PM »
Alright, the first critique! Thanks for trying out the mod!

Here's a small list of bugs/suggestions on my test runs.
12/10/16 - all done offline cooperative, emulating multiplayer (and yes, I set Lose All Inventory on Death to true)

Bug?: Are you supposed to be able to use your skills while Infinity Force is active? For example, with Megaman, it usually makes you switch back to the Super Adaptor, but if you roll the mouse wheel enough, you can access them anyways. If you aren't supposed to be able to do that, I'd suggest just taking all skillweps from the player when Infinity Force is activated. If you are, well...it's currently very difficult to do so.

You are intended to be able to; where some of the Infinity Skills last upwards of a minute, it'd make life much more difficult if you couldn't.

Suggestion: Please make different icons for Megaman's skills. Like RS for Rush Search.

That's definitely on the list of things to do. I mainly just wanted to get this mod into the wild faster, so I didn't spend a lot of time mulling over which resources to use.

Bug: Dashing with the Heroine can cause you to get stuck in the boss or his "reinforcements".

Damn, I knew I forgot something. Adding that to the list.

Suggestion: Can you replace the Rush Coil with something like the Rush Jet? It's pretty useless, and it's easier to differentiate a Rush Jet icon in the current skill set than it is Rush Coil.

The trick with Rush Coil is finding a balance between "useful" and "completely destroys the mod." I also chose Rush Coil in particular because it's an iconic ability from the series.

One word of advice from one of the testers: Rush Coil is actually fairly effective at helping you stall out attacks like Wild Coil.

Suggestion: Being the only class that relies on projectiles, Megaman is a much more effective class than the others. I've been able to beat Evil Mega numerous times without dying as Megaman alone. I'd suggest to either nerf his projectiles (eugh) or give the melee classes more rewarding damage to be ballsy enough to get in the boss's face.

While I do agree with you to some degree, you do also have to take into account character roles. Megaman, as a Blaster, is designed around dealing damage. The Heroine and the Technomancer, on the other hand, are a Defender and a Commander respectively, and are thus built around keeping the boss's attention and healing/buffing, respectively. (Patch is easily one of the most potent abilities in the game, especially in group play.)

The Veteran, being an Assault class, is the exception to this rule. Played properly, he can tear through a lot of health very quickly! A word of advice: Weapon techniques are your friends with the Veteran, especially Napalm Grenade.

As a side note, there's also the bit where I am currently designing with the intent that Megaman and his friends (when they get added) will be more effective at soloing content than other classes. Not that I want soloing to be particularly easy for anyone.

Suggestion: If the boss doesn't already have a player:health ratio (I haven't checked it for myself), I'd suggest something like that. All coop-centric MM8BDM mods have it for good reason.

One step ahead of you on that one. There's actually a pretty hefty health scaling in place to encourage players to not just leave their friends to die.

I like the strategic direction this mod wants to you to take, but the fact that Cooperative basically gives you unlimited lives, plus the fact that many, if not all the people who play this are more prone to rush in guns blazing rather than talk it over with others beforehand...Well, I don't think the community is ready for something like this. I haven't heard any opinions yet, though, so I could just as easily eat my words.

I figured that a mod that encourages strategic thinking and honest-to-goodness cooperation would be a good change of pace to all the "guns blazing" mods this game has. Whether or not it catches on will be up to the community, of course, but we'll never know if no one makes the attempt.

The real fun that my testing group had was when we played the mod in Survival; it gets much more intense when you know that every death means you have one less player to join the fight.

However, I myself am very intrigued by the idea of Destiny-esque raids in MM8BDM. If you continue to work on this, I'll definitely be watching.

There's definitely more coming in the future! Stay tuned!

December 11, 2016, 03:04:18 PM
Reply #4

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
Re: Infinity Squad [0.1.1]
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:04:18 PM »
To everyone who joined the testing server last night, thank you all for coming! Your input is appreciated, and your humorously face-slamming into the boss was amusing. I'm glad to see you're all having fun with my mad science experiment, and I'm looking forward to working with you all in the future to provide the best content I can!

This first patch should help fix up some of the more blatantly buggy behavior, as well as plug up a few of the holes you guys found and add some quality-of-life features to help new players get into the action quicker.

Infinity Squad 0.1.1
TSPG - Dropbox - Mediafire

Code: [Select]
> Health scaling code rewritten.
>> As a result of the above, base health values have been changed.
>> Single player health should now be equal to the base health instead of higher.
>> Fixed a bug where the health scaling factor was double the intended value, resulting in massively inflated health.
> Fixed a bug where Nido could get stuck in bosses, players, and minions when exiting a dash.
> Fixed a bug where players with an invalid weapon set would receive no primary weapon.
> Added a sealing/unsealing mechanic to the boss room door to prevent camping in the spawn room. (Nice try, guys.)
> Added separate drop tables for Cooperative and Survival modes! Hone your skills for the true challenge!
> Added a "classhelp" alias to print class information while in the field. It even prints custom information based on your currently selected weapon!

December 12, 2016, 01:56:59 AM
Reply #5

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 01:56:59 AM »
12/11/16 - offline cooperative (emulating singleplayer) B=bug S=suggestion
B: I can't seem to use Technomancer's skills when she has the Hand-me-downs equipped.
S: Could you disable the pre-battle doorlock for Singleplayer? It's unnecessary for obvious reasons.
S: On that same note, could you make the Coop and Survival drop tables the same on Singleplayer? If you haven't already, that is.
S: This could just be me, but the small step up from the outsides to the center of the arena can completely throw off the Veteran because the Veteran heavily relies on differentiation between ground and air attacks. Consequently, stepping off that miniscule edge can reset my swings without me realizing it or cause me to attack while "airborne", resulting in either me doing something completely different than I wanted or nothing coming out at all. I suggest leveling the field to the same floor height to fix this.
S: I'd recommend making all players invincible after the boss has been defeated. It'd be pretty ridiculous to be killed by a straggling Search Snake or a stray Wild Coil before you got a chance to pick up the loot.

Also, is there a way to bind your skills to keys 1, 2, and 3 respectively? I feel like there is a way to do that, but I wasn't able to replicate it by simply unbinding 1-3.

December 12, 2016, 03:04:41 AM
Reply #6

Offline Isaac940

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 09, 2010, 07:13:26 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 03:04:41 AM »
This was pretty neat from the little bit I tried of it, even if I don't quite understand everything yet. Though multiple times the boss's health bar just seemed to stop working. He'd actually be taking damage and would die but his bar on the HUD wasn't updating.

December 12, 2016, 11:46:20 AM
Reply #7

Offline Jennifer

• Standard Member

• *Flaps arms*
  • Date Registered: October 31, 2010, 03:59:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »
You can bind Slot 1, 2, and 3 for all three of your skills. And, about the pipes; I'll be fixing those in the next version, don't worry. They've been bothering me for the past few builds to be honest.

December 13, 2016, 02:42:20 PM
Reply #8

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »
12/11/16 - offline cooperative (emulating singleplayer) B=bug S=suggestion
B: I can't seem to use Technomancer's skills when she has the Hand-me-downs equipped.
I have a few ideas why this might be happening, but I can't say anything for certain. I'll look into it for next version.

S: Could you disable the pre-battle doorlock for Singleplayer? It's unnecessary for obvious reasons.
That's a fair point. Will do.

S: On that same note, could you make the Coop and Survival drop tables the same on Singleplayer? If you haven't already, that is.
See above note.

S: This could just be me, but the small step up from the outsides to the center of the arena can completely throw off the Veteran because the Veteran heavily relies on differentiation between ground and air attacks. Consequently, stepping of that miniscule edge can reset my swings without me realizing it or cause me to attack while "airborne", resulting in either me doing something completely different than I wanted or nothing coming out at all. I suggest leveling the field to the same floor height to fix this.
As mentioned, this is next on Jen's list of things to do.

S: I'd recommend making all players invincible after the boss has been defeated. It'd be pretty ridiculous to be killed by a straggling Search Snake or a stray Wild Coil before you got a chance to pick up the loot.
Another good point. I should be able to just outright kill the Search Snakes, in retrospect; I'll get that set up for the next build.

Also, is there a way to bind your skills to keys 1, 2, and 3 respectively? I feel like there is a way to do that, but I wasn't able to replicate it by simply unbinding 1-3.
As previously mentioned by Jen, you can bind Slot 1/Slot 2/Slot 3 to quickly swap to the respective skills. Your main weapon is set to Slot 0, for the record, though it's often simpler to use Altfire rather than binding a separate key for it.

This was pretty neat from the little bit I tried of it, even if I don't quite understand everything yet. Though multiple times the boss's health bar just seemed to stop working. He'd actually be taking damage and would die but his bar on the HUD wasn't updating.
I'll look into figuring out why that happens. If you could provide more details on what was happening when the health bar broke, I'd appreciate it.

December 14, 2016, 03:09:06 AM
Reply #9

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 03:09:06 AM »
B/S: Another thing I noticed is that the save file (as far as unlocks are concerned) from the multiplayer server carries over to my offline singleplayer save. Is there a way to separate these two?
B: You can telefrag someone in the locker. Big problem on survival.

December 16, 2016, 01:38:03 AM
Reply #10

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 01:38:03 AM »
B/S: Another thing I noticed is that the save file (as far as unlocks are concerned) from the multiplayer server carries over to my offline singleplayer save. Is there a way to separate these two?
I'm actually not sure on this one. I believe the variables are saved to your .ini file; you could, in theory, use a separate .ini when playing this mod offline as opposed to online, though I suppose that's kind of a hacky workaround.

B: You can telefrag someone in the locker. Big problem on survival.
Not really sure I can fix this one effectively due to the nature of how the lockers work. I'll add it to the list regardless.

December 16, 2016, 06:20:44 PM
Reply #11

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »
I'm actually not sure on this one. I believe the variables are saved to your .ini file; you could, in theory, use a separate .ini when playing this mod offline as opposed to online, though I suppose that's kind of a hacky workaround.

Yea, that's what I've been doing so far. Not a huge deal, really, so if there's no neat way around it, I wouldn't worry about it.

December 24, 2016, 03:10:42 AM
Reply #12

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
Re: Infinity Squad [0.1.2]
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 03:10:42 AM »
Sorry for vanishing for a bit, I elected to take a quick break from working before the holidays.
However, it doesn't feel right leaving you all without anything for the holidays, so here, consider this a slightly early Christmas present!

Infinity Squad 0.1.2
TSPG - Dropbox - Mediafire

Code: [Select]
> Copy Megaman's base health increased to 7000 (from 5600).
> Copy Megaman now uses his proper sliding frames from the core.
> Blizzard Attack now targets the tank.
> Copy Megaman now turns while firing Blizzard Attack.
> Lightning Bolt now displays blinking tracers where bolts are about to land.
> The door no longer seals in single player mode.
> Single player mode now properly uses the expanded Survival drop table.
> Music files changed to .nsf format
> Added +NOTELEFRAG to the player base to prevent locker room accidents.
> Improved threat generation consistency for Veteran's attacks.

August 12, 2017, 04:53:40 AM
Reply #13

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 04:53:40 AM »
Man, that nap felt good! Well, time to start working on the next-

...Wait, what do you mean it's been eight months?!

While I'm not usually someone who likes to necro-bump, I wanted to make a quick announcement regarding the status of this mod. Or, I should say, what this mod is about to become.

With Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch updating to version 5b - and, in turn, gaining access to Zandronum 3.0 - I have once again taken to the drawing board and have been working on a new version of this mod. Code is being rewritten, design decisions are being re-evaluated, and new features are being implemented to take this mod from the glorified technical demo it was to become something more worthy of the new version.

Much of the framework for the mod has been set up as of time of writing, though the actual content of the mod is still in the works. While many of the core mechanics are staying the same, the new version is being designed from the ground up, with all-new classes and bosses designed to take advantage of the updated engine and challenge the players in new and exciting ways. And trust me when I say we got a lot of new toys to work with this time around; I'm incredibly excited to see what we come up with this time around.

I haven't set a release date on the new version yet, but I'll be sure to keep in touch with you all more as progress is made.

August 12, 2017, 06:51:02 AM
Reply #14

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 06:51:02 AM »
Wasn't sure if this was dead or not. Really glad to hear you're picking it back up; I'll definitely be trying out your next release!