Advanced Search

Author Topic: Favorite Generic Stage Enemies  (Read 7552 times)

September 22, 2016, 02:00:51 AM
Read 7552 times

Offline kirbymariomega

• Justice League Member

• inactive but unforgotten
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2012, 12:49:01 AM

• View Profile
Favorite Generic Stage Enemies
« on: September 22, 2016, 02:00:51 AM »
an aspect of mega man that i have a tremendous love for is the minor enemy design! post your favorites!

some of mine are:
flea - it looks silly, and the fact that it's apparently designed to chase away pests from crops is kind of amusing to me
battonton - they're cute
nombrellan - i probably shouldn't like it as much as i do but it's great and also useless
adamski - the best alien invaders

September 22, 2016, 01:46:12 PM
Reply #1

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Generic Stage Enemies
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 01:46:12 PM »
Joe.
Joe is cool.

September 22, 2016, 02:04:36 PM
Reply #2

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »
I've always found the enemies from MM6 and MM9 to be the most charming, so I guess I'll just list my favorites from both games

Pookers are such a neat way to expand upon the oil pits from Flame Man's stage - they still keep the pacing somewhat slow, but don't feel as restricting as wading through the oil normally.

Curlingers are just kinda fun to watch move around - they're kinda simple and easy to beat but they're really fun to hit with the Power Adaptor.

Octones are fun almost exclusively because of the little ink effect Mega Man gets if he gets hit by one of their projectiles. It's just a visual gag, but I always try to rush through without using the pause screen afterwards.

Popo Helis are always set up in this way that you can just precision dodge around them whenever the game decides to set up sections with them in groups. It's pretty thrilling, and it helps offset the waiting you'll do for magma beams later on.

September 22, 2016, 02:19:33 PM
Reply #3

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »

THE GRACE! THAT FORM!

I like a lot of enemies from Mega Man, to be honest- probably too many to list. The series is very good at making, as old boxarts would say, "mecha minions to bash with the Mega Buster(!!)" Mecha Pitchan is definitely one of them, though; I've always liked how simple and goofy he is.

Personally, I love some of the enemies from MMV for the Gameboy.

Hyoey can be tricky to fight, but the design is really cool and the way you have to fight on the bobbing ship makes it a little more challenging.

I like the simplicity and quirkiness in Palm Hoppers. Only Wily would think to make a grasshopper robot that fires massive rockets at people when it lands.

Not MMV, but I still can't get over the imagery of Gachappon being a massive French vending machine because of the black holder thing it has. Fighting it is pretty boring, but I always loved what it looked like.

I'm also tempted to put all of 7's minibosses sans Proto Man. All of them are pretty fun to fight against and there are some great designs mixed in there.

September 23, 2016, 04:21:22 AM
Reply #4

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 04:21:22 AM »
As anyone knows, my favorite is Helipon. I'm fond of most of MM4's enemies, actually.

Helipon aside, I'm also super fond of Gachappon, mainly because of that one Wily stage where you enter the room and he spawns facing the wrong way.

September 23, 2016, 04:36:27 AM
Reply #5

Offline Medley

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 19, 2014, 05:16:52 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.something.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:36:27 AM »
gachappon is my main man for the very same reason, he had absolutely no excuse for staring at the wall when you first come in but he'll do it every time

lazy frick has earned my eternal ire and respect

September 23, 2016, 05:18:13 AM
Reply #6

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:18:13 AM »
Personally, I'm a big fan of the Bubukan.

Their attack is super interesting, as it reinforces the cautious playstyle the stage he hails from encourages.  He forces you to take a moment to avoid his first attack, but then leaves himself wildly open to counterattack after he rushes you post-touchdown.  I've always just appreciated that, and the room in Snake Man where they mix in Pottons is a blast (despite the slowdown.)

In general, though, common enemies from this series are always a joy to behold.  There's something so inherently interesting about the exaggerated designs of the robots in accordance with their functions and general aesthetic.  They're also all really goofy, which is pretty fun.

September 24, 2016, 04:41:37 AM
Reply #7

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yeah call us, we'll be drunk!
  • Date Registered: November 23, 2011, 03:40:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 04:41:37 AM »

I don't know why but for some reason I want to ride on one of these things.

(Although they're probably too small to support my body weight and crash)

October 02, 2016, 02:00:34 PM
Reply #8

Offline Geno

• MM8BDM Extender

• ❤ ❤ ❤
  • Date Registered: March 31, 2012, 10:07:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 02:00:34 PM »
Two of my favourite stage enemies aren't really enemies, they're more like plaftorms

Guts Hover from Mega Man IV is very silly
its a guts man platform that gets mad when you step on it. it is very goofy

Move Hover from Mega Man IV is also very silly
it moves when you shoot it, and it makes a goofy face when being shot

There's also Mummira from Mega Man 4 (and IV), which is actually an actual enemy

it is very goofy

look at 'im go

And there's this beetle thing from Rockman & Forte: Challenger from the Future, that I don't know what it's name is because the Mega Man Wiki sucks and doesn't have any info on the RF2 enemies, but look at it's little dance!!

I haven't thought about what my favourite basic enemies in the Mega Man games are a whole lot, so there are probably a bunch more that I like, haha

October 06, 2016, 03:03:48 AM
Reply #9

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 03:03:48 AM »

I always liked these little guys, it was especially nice to see them appear again in Powered Up.

October 06, 2016, 06:26:11 PM
Reply #10

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »
My favourite stage enemy has to be Sniper Joe from Megaman 1. Yes, specifically those ones from the first game.

These were by far the best ones. The difference with them is that whenever they showed up, they actually acted like skilled security guards which seemed to be what they were going for. They jump in front of you, ready for action, and have inconsistency to when they attack making them act more real and engaging. And if you try to rush past them, they actually chase after you, doing whatever they can to do their job and prevent you from achieving your mission.

They put a lot of effort and thought into these things compared to all the others in the series, and they're really fun to fight.

I have some lesser favourites as well, which I'll post later.

October 07, 2016, 12:13:25 AM
Reply #11

Offline nehuenloco

• Standard Member

• I'm Megaman! Do you trust me?
  • Date Registered: October 02, 2016, 08:19:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 12:13:25 AM »

Mets!

October 15, 2016, 12:01:50 PM
Reply #12

Offline BlastDaSky

• Standard Member

• sup
  • Date Registered: September 29, 2016, 05:40:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »

Long live telly. I like this one.

Electric kins can be very tricky(ironically you can kill them with top spin easily)