Advanced Search

Author Topic: Megaman Unlimited  (Read 61327 times)

August 03, 2014, 05:56:30 AM
Reply #195

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga
  • Date Registered: September 13, 2011, 06:26:12 PM

• View Profile
Re: Megaman Unlimited
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2014, 05:56:30 AM »
I don't really get most of the hate for Mega man unlimited's difficulty, its noticeably harder than most mega man games from what I've played, but I haven't really encountered spike hell like everyone else seems to have, I enjoy the game for what it is, even if some things feel off. Biggest problem is the stage length, and not so much the difficulty, however even then, the stages aren't as marathon-y as people tend to say they are. As a side note i still have yet to play whirlpool man's stage or the extra stages yet, although i still haven't beaten the main game. Whirlpool man's stage might be the next I take on.

August 03, 2014, 10:22:40 AM
Reply #196

Offline idiot9.0

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 11, 2013, 05:57:56 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »
I just don't understand the hate in general. The game has flaws but, as you said, it's enjoyable for what it is.
My main problems with it are Rainbow Man's stage in general, the stage length issue (and even then it's not as long as people claim) and the obvious ending problem that I said a few pages back but other than those minor things it plays and feels like an actual official Megaman game.
The storyline's somewhat interesting, the platforming is great, and the look and feel of Megaman is there. In my opinion it could pass as an official Megaman game easily.

As for the new content, Endless modes are fun as always. Whirlpool Man's stage is surprisingly easy for me, and the mini-boss was enjoyable. Both mini and Whirlpool himself both feel shmup-y but are quite easy to dodge. I found Glue Man's weapon the best against him somehow. But overall nice stage and boss. Weapon you get is neat too.

August 03, 2014, 02:05:59 PM
Reply #197

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »
Unlimited stages (not counting alternate paths) average somewhere around 35 screens.  Most megaman stages are around 20.  So yeah, it's a significant difference.

Edit:  Started messing around with Endless mode... right off the bat, first screen and I'm already annoyed at the use of non-NES colors.  I'm surprised by this as the rest of the game as far as I've seen does stick with the real palette. but apparently many of these sections were fan submissions.

August 04, 2014, 05:22:51 AM
Reply #198

Offline Threxx

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2014, 10:52:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2014, 05:22:51 AM »
Quote from: "NemZ"
Unlimited stages (not counting alternate paths) average somewhere around 35 screens.  Most megaman stages are around 20.  So yeah, it's a significant difference.

Edit:  Started messing around with Endless mode... right off the bat, first screen and I'm already annoyed at the use of non-NES colors.  I'm surprised by this as the rest of the game as far as I've seen does stick with the real palette. but apparently many of these sections were fan submissions.

The game doesn't use the NES palette at all. It deviated many times in the main game. As for endless attack, all the tilesets were done by MPX, the fans only submitted the designs for the areas.

To address the difficulty issue, the stages are really way too long (Nail Man's stage is 40 screens, and feels it). Longer stages in MM generally either get boring or get too difficult after a while, as there is either too much empty space to engage the player, or it is difficult to survive due to MM's health being balanced around a stage about 20-27 screens long. Combine this with unnecessary spike/pit placement, and you get really poor level design. Knowing the stages and how to beat them, it doesn't feel as bad, and MMU is a game that gets somewhat better on later playthroughs. However, an initial playthrough is hell, as you will die over and over, making stages drag out for 10 minutes or more. The Wily Castle is a ridiculously long marathon through stages that really overstay their welcome. Hands down the worst part of the game. Once you get weapons, the game gets somewhat easier, the matter is getting to those weapons in the first place by beating a stage.

Whirlpool Man was a step in the right direction IMO. It wasn't too long, the spike placement was a lot more judicious, and having all your weapons helped too. My only issue is that there is quite a bit of waiting for various things in the stage. Otherwise, its probably the best stage in the game TBH. Endless is alright, but a lot of the tilesets are overshaded and out of place, and some sections are just batshit insane.

August 04, 2014, 06:38:11 AM
Reply #199

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2014, 06:38:11 AM »
Quote from: "Threxx"
The game doesn't use the NES palette at all. It deviated many times in the main game.

Yeah, looking at it again you're right.  Not sure how I got that mixed up.

April 27, 2015, 03:40:50 AM
Reply #200

Offline Hunter Frags

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: December 21, 2013, 10:45:35 PM

• View Profile
    • Low Quality Escapades (YT Channel)
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2015, 03:40:50 AM »
Do I regret bumping this thread? No, so refrain from whining please because now, it's time for a legitimate question:

April 27, 2015, 12:58:58 PM
Reply #201

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
(click to show/hide)

May 15, 2015, 02:47:19 AM
Reply #202

Offline Hunter Frags

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: December 21, 2013, 10:45:35 PM

• View Profile
    • Low Quality Escapades (YT Channel)
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2015, 02:47:19 AM »
Remember the last time I bumped this thread? What? That wasn't that long ago and it was two posts ago anyway?

Oh well, unlockable Z-Prototype playability's out now.

May 15, 2015, 03:02:49 AM
Reply #203

Knux

« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2015, 03:02:49 AM »
I was waiting on this so I could finally try this game out. Welp, here we go.