Advanced Search

Author Topic: Cutstuff Mapping Jam 7: Jamomma  (Read 10080 times)

October 25, 2021, 06:39:50 PM
Read 10080 times

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
Cutstuff Mapping Jam 7: Jamomma
« on: October 25, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »
Cutstuff Mapping Jam 7: Jamomma

Hello everyone, it's Dr. Freeman and welcome to the seventh (what the heck) Cutstuff Mapping Jam! Once you hit this much it feels like insanity (even though the second was quickly removed from the franchise...)
It's been a year since the last one was started and I've had multiple people request another one, so what the heck. Another year, another jam. No v6 development to the get in the way.

If you are unaware as to what a mapping jam is, allow me to explain! Basically, the community comes together and makes a bunch of maps. It's not just something for veteran mappers to enjoy either, if you've ever thought about making a map for this game, now's the chance to go for it! Newbies are more than welcome! It's important to note that this is not a contest, and it's more just something to make for fun for everyone to enjoy. And because it's not a contest, if you're ever unsure how to do something or want feedback on a map or map piece, always feel free to ask anyone. Personally I'm always willing to help if someone needs it.

As always, jam is broken down into two separate phases. Phase 1 will last a couple weeks and has everyone make a small map piece (more details below). This map piece will also act as one's sign up. Once all the map pieces are in and Phase 1 is over, we enter Phase 2 where every entrant is randomly given two people's map pieces and get to make a map with it! Life is busy, so there's going to be plenty of time (a few months) for Phase 2 to happen. Like before, there's not going to be any crazy gimmick outside of having to use the map pieces. While doing the same vanilla thing every time isn't the most exciting thing in the world when I type out the topic, it just feels better when the actual mapping comes around.

Here are the guidelines for Phase 1, absolutely copy/pasted because there's not really any point on changing what works!

(click to show/hide)

We'll talk about the rules for phase 2 once we get there (though they really are mostly the same!)

There is one more thing I'd like to discuss really quickly, which is the idea of splitting the jam packs starting from this one. There are 5 whole map packs in the current jam file and it's pretty huge. Bloating that file size anymore seems highly questionable so unless there are some major objections (which if you have them, I would like to hear it because if you have a good point I'm all ears) this Jam is going to mark the beginning of a new wad file.
THAT SAID, if anyone wants to edit their existing Jam Maps, please feel free and there is no restriction on doing that (and I'll be doing any bugfixes / adding extra maps I've received as well when release takes place). While the wads will likely be separated, the first pack will still be updated as needed.

As I said above, submitting a map piece is how you sign up and you won't be able to participate if you don't submit one! So the next two weeks are more or less just the sign up period.

All map pieces are to be submitted to me either by PM on Cutstuff or over Discord (you can find me at Freems#2222). Map piece submissions will close on Wednesday, November 10th at 11:59 PM EST. (a little awkward of a date but i blame my work schedule). Once we have hit the deadline and the map pieces are in, we will discuss phase 2!

That should be everything for the time being! If you have any questions whatsoever, do not be afraid to ask me! And here's to another jam!

October 25, 2021, 06:57:46 PM
Reply #1

Offline Yoshiatom

• Standard Member

• Procrastination Woman
  • Date Registered: May 29, 2016, 07:59:25 PM

• View Profile
    • Check out the award-winning COP MARIO today!
Re: Cutstuff Mapping Jam 7: Jamomma
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
...it's been a whole year since the last mapjam? Doesn't feel like it.

Count me in for this year's, I was kind of disappointed with how my map for the last jam turned out (it ended up being pretty overscaled) so I want to have another shot. I also didn't get much done for NaNoWADMo this month due to personal issues so this should help get my Doom mapping fix in.

October 25, 2021, 07:10:33 PM
Reply #2

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 07:10:33 PM »
Once again, you can expect me to hop on in.

Excited for the turnout!

October 25, 2021, 07:21:19 PM
Reply #3

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 07:21:19 PM »
Are you guys ready for

another blatantly thieved quake map

October 25, 2021, 07:29:12 PM
Reply #4

Offline FTX6004

• MM8BDM Extender

• aaaaaaB
  • Date Registered: August 07, 2012, 05:12:49 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 07:29:12 PM »
Expect another me made map this time

BUT dont expect the last of us part 2

October 25, 2021, 07:51:42 PM
Reply #5

Offline LordDamager

• Standard Member

• Its me.
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2013, 10:39:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 07:51:42 PM »
Heck Yeah lets go. Time to redeem myself for last time.

October 25, 2021, 07:59:48 PM
Reply #6

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »
If you've never made a map before, but would like to get started, here's a bunch of links to the programs/tutorials used by most MM8BDM mappers these days.

Programs:
Ultimate Doom Builder (recommended map editor): https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=66745
SLADE 3 (recommended wad editor): https://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads
V6 Resource pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybcpjb0yhqle10n/v6a-resourcepack_r0.1.pk3?dl=0

Tutorials:
[TUTOR] Doombuilder and You: Mapping Essentials 20XX: https://cutstuff.net/forum/index.php?topic=9763.0
[Tutorial] MAPINFO + Custom Music: https://cutstuff.net/forum/index.php?topic=2596.0
Mendez's mapping tutorials: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKkNsgKdqBf2lHHTtn_-rLCEE50pR9WxV

References:
Slade 3 Wiki: https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/wiki
ZDoom ACS wiki: https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS
ZDoom DECORATE reference: https://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE
ZDoom mapinfo reference: https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO
ZDoom texture reference: https://zdoom.org/wiki/TEXTURES
ZDoom SNDINFO reference: https://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO
ZDoom Sprite reference: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Sprite

October 25, 2021, 08:05:02 PM
Reply #7

Offline Great Glass

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 27, 2020, 01:53:29 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »
Time to go on the wild ride yet again.

October 25, 2021, 09:31:22 PM
Reply #8

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 09:31:22 PM »
Who's jam?

Yeah sure I'm down (and this time I'm gonna finish my PBJ map too)

October 26, 2021, 05:46:32 AM
Reply #9

Offline YairDude

• Standard Member

• I make maps.
  • Date Registered: January 02, 2016, 12:53:52 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 05:46:32 AM »
theres no rules regarding how vertically big a map piece can be, time to abuse this !

(for the sake of clarity this is a joke)

October 30, 2021, 06:28:21 PM
Reply #10

Offline Kraven/Hadouken

• Athlete (Runner-up)

• Sha!
  • Date Registered: May 04, 2015, 10:11:09 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 06:28:21 PM »
Hey hey! I'm there bud, glad to be part of a jam again :D

November 03, 2021, 01:49:01 PM
Reply #11

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 01:49:01 PM »
Last time I participated, I made a cramped map, and a map piece best suited for cramped maps. Before that, I submitted a cramped map to CSCM. Methinks it’s time to switch things up.

I’m ready to jam!

November 03, 2021, 04:50:05 PM
Reply #12

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 04:50:05 PM »
I will make something too

November 08, 2021, 03:52:38 AM
Reply #13

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 03:52:38 AM »
One last reminder since the deadline is closing in, you have until the very end of Wednesday the 10th to get pieces in!

November 11, 2021, 05:31:13 PM
Reply #14

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »
The submission period is over so let's get this show on the road!

As we learned last time, having an unreasonably long deadline period is for the better given all the insanity that is the holiday season and even just life itself. And I've always extended the deadline at the last second, so I'm going to do that prematurely this year and pull a repeat of last year's deadline. So maps will be due on 11:59 EST on Sunday, February 20th. That's a very long period of time but I do not want people feeling crunched for time or anything, and I'd rather sacrifice some time on getting the maps out if it means less stress for the mappers overall.

As for the maps itself, let's go over a few ground rules, though it's pretty much the same as always so I'll happily copy/paste most of it.

-Each mapper must use both map pieces given to them in their map. The piece must be in the playable space of the map and not off in the background or something. However, the mapper is able to make plenty of changes to the pieces if they so desire. Common ways map pieces are changed include...

-Changing the height of parts.
-Changing jump stairs to walk stairs, the other way around, changing it to a ladder or a fan, changing a slope to not a slope or the other way around, etc. etc.
-Adding little things to fill up blank space.
-Changing curved walls to normal angles (or the other way around).
-Flattening out uneven terrain.
-Any textures, aesthetics, or anything like that in the piece.

There are certainly more options than just these, but these are the common ones I've seen in the past. The general rule of thumb is I should still be able to recognize the map piece when everything is said and done. If you have any question about editing a piece because you're unsure, just ask me and I'll let you know if it's legal or not.

-You're allowed to use custom assets to your heart's content. As long as it's still 8-bit in nature, though I'm sure that goes without saying. But you're not obliged to stick with what's in the core game, though you can if you want!

-Likewise, the song in your map must be 8-bit in nature. If it's not, I have full authority to change the song. Likewise, try not to use a song that's already in the core game, I will also change it in that case. Do not worry about adding boss themes because they will be replaced when the pack is released. And while you don't need to worry about adding a map card, I will need the song information so I can do it myself at the very least.

-Some general mapping courtesies. Include at least 32 spawns, 16 Light Team Spawns, 16 Wily Team Spawns, 8 Cossack Team Spawns, and 8 King Spawns (if there's a big problem I can add the team spawns myself). Make sure to keep the lighting at an even 255 unless there's a really good reason for it to be something else (AKA don't make the whole map the default 192). Also make sure you lighting isn't 256, that's a common error that leads to lighting problems. If you have any sorta instant death such as pits, lava, etc. make sure to block the edges of the platforms with block monster lines.

-Remember that this is NOT a competition, nor is it a race to the finish line. Feel free to get input from other people if you're unsure about something, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any! If you're new to mapping or unsure on something, I would definitely recommend not waiting until the last second to make your map so there's time to get feedback/make potential changes if that needs to happen.

-While it's incredibly unlikely to happen, I hold full authority to reject a map for a failure to abide by the main rules or for any other very unlikely reason that might pop up. As such I hold authority to make slight edits to a map myself if for some reason the situation calls for it. Don't worry about this one too much, it's more of the "just in case" rule.

And without further ado, the part everyone has been waiting for (or stressing if they already have ideas!) The map piece assignments! Names are in alphabetical order below.
If anyone wishes to be credited as something else by the way, just let me know.

(click to show/hide)

Anyhow, here's the dropbox link with all the pieces!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jes984t3qidav8j/AABDolETV9HY25r8SN2FqiFta?dl=0

If you have any questions whatsoever, just give me an ask! And lastly, the most important rule of jam: have fun!