Advanced Search

Author Topic: Gizmo's Basement of Blueprints/Ideas (Totally not a ripoff)  (Read 3121 times)

September 04, 2011, 04:31:58 AM
Read 3121 times

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
Gizmo's Basement of Blueprints/Ideas (Totally not a ripoff)
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:31:58 AM »
I'm serious. It's not. This has absolutely no relation/connection to Smashbros' Wall of Blueprints. (actually, he suggested I do this.)

Welcome. Lately I've been getting interested in mapping, however, I simply have no time at all to make any maps. I've got a crapload of skins to finish, 4 sprite sheets to make and 1 to update, a level pack to make for Jazz Jackrabbit 2, and an entire game to create. Also 8 roleplays to keep up with and a fanfiction to write. So as you can see, my plate is more than full. But I can't help but think of so many map ideas, it's painful to see them go to waste. So, without further ado, I'm gonna list my ideas that came to mind.

And By the way, I named this "Gizmo's basement" instead of "Smash's basement" because Gizmo is way more likely to have these kinds of blueprints than Smash, character-wise. =P

Deathmatch Stages

EDDIE CLONING FACTORY

A map where the only item pickups other than health and energy...is Eddie. At first it seemed like an idea that nobody would like, but then I got an idea for the whole map. Basically, it's a factory that's making Eddie Clones. Hence the Eddie pickups everywhere. At one point you can see Eddie in the middle of a machine, hooked up to all kinds of wires and whatnot behind glass. To the side there's a conveyer belt also inside of glass where you can see several monochrome Eddie's are coming out of the big part of the Machine where the real Eddie is, and going into another rather large part of the machine. And coming out on the other side of that are Eddie patches, which are not behind glass so you can just take one off the conveyer belt. The belt goes into a wall, and you can't see what happens to them next. Though in various rooms of the factory, there are pipes coming out of the ceiling which dump Eddie patches every now and then. (which is precisely how they respawn.)

Whether or not this would be a fun map to play in due to the balance issues, I think that it could be very interesting.

AERIAL GARDEN ZONE

Quote from: "In the [url=http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2040&p=104692#p104692
Spam Thread[/url], SmashTheEchidna"] The main ideas that came to mind were Eddie Factory and some SRB2 levels.

I would kill to fight in Aerial Garden Zone.

A level from the Mystic Realm mod of SRB2, my favorite mod of the game and quite possibly my favorite level, too. This place is situated in the sky, and can easily be deemed as "That One Level" but awesome at the same time. There are pits everywhere, and lots of towers to scale. The higher you climb, the better weapons you'll find. Ultimately at the highest point of the level you'll either get Time Stopper or Gravity Hold. I'm also thinking about adding the Mystic Temple, which when activated, slowly changes the textures to Starlight Palace Zone's textures, somewhat like Ring Man X. However, though I'm no mapper, I don't think it's really possible to change the textures like that. The Skybox, yes, but the textures? That doesn't really seem possible. If not, I'd settle for the skybox changing and the lighting growing darker (because it's turning from day to night). Also, there would be a music change as well. Still haven't completely decided on what it'd change to, but I already have one in mind.

I could easily rip the textures and make them 8bit. The only problem is finding an 8-bit Aerial Garden zone song...I'm not sure if it's already been done.

And while we're at Aerial Garden...

The Mystic Realm

The final stage of that mod. Basically, the whole floor is a skybox as well as the walls and (of course) ceiling. Meaning there's one gigantic pit in the whole place. There would be a few platforms you can stand on, but for the most part, there isn't much else besides them to rest your feet on, and they generally are just there to hold items and weapons. The good part? Infinite flight and Turbo Sphere. (Maybe even added armor, but I dunno 'bout that.) Since this is a Super Sonic Final Boss stage, let's say you immediately go super once you get there. Minus the invincibility, otherwise that'd be unfair. (If possible, I'd add sparkles to the players to emphasize the powerup. =3 )

It'd be interesting if you had to keep collecting screws to maintain your super form. Once it runs out, Gravity weighs you down.
Gravity is a harsh mistress, indeed.

I already have the textures for this down.

Bowser's Castle

I hope this hasn't been done before. All I can think of is trying to put together pieces from each of the 8 castles from Super Mario Brothers into one map. I could probably rip the textures myself, but I could probably find them around easier. (not that there are many of them in the first place, but whatever) This would most likely include the "Sewer" area of the last castle. Gonna have to think this one out a little more.

Team Game Stages
For CTF, LMS, Team Possession, etc.

Ocean Warzone

Greatly inspired/based off of that map in (I forgot which map pack it was) where there were a bunch of ships going along the sea, and you got across from one ship to another via Wavebikes. (and the one leading them all was none other than a Hot Head.) So credit goes to the owner of that map for the inspiration. :mrgreen:
My idea is to have pretty much the same thing, except with even more ships. And there are two fleets facing eachother; One fleet belonging to Dr. Light (they all have Dr.Light signatures on them, and the flagship has the flag. Hooray for redundancy.) and the other belongs to Dr. Wily. Now, I really liked that idea in the original map where you press a button and the ship fires a big ol' quick beam. I'm thinking this idea could stay, but somewhat modified. The flagship will have the quick beams, while some of the other ships (not all of the ships will, but rather some of the bigger ones aside from the flagship) will have turrets that shoot Dive Missiles. I'm thinking you should be able to aim them, but I have no idea how that would work. Probably why I picked Dive anyway, because they're homing. I'm also considering having magnet missiles capable of firing out of some of the turrets, too, but I'm not sure whether or not that'd be OP. Also, they should give you frags if you kill someone. Including the Quick Beam. (Don't know if it already did or not in the original.)

Honestly, if someone made this map, I would play CTF 80x more than I usually do. (And if this were remade to suit 4teams...oh man, can you imagine the insanity!? That'd be more than the normal mind could possibly comprehend.)

Rainstorm Keeps

Based on a CTF map I enjoyed from SRB2. I don't remember it's name (it MIGHT have been Thunder Citadel, but I think that was something else...)

Basically, both teams have their own castles. (The castles shouldn't be too big, but it should be big enough to feel like a fort/stronghold. There are moats in front of each castle, which both actually have secret passageways to get inside. The secret passageway I just thought up like right this instant (making it up as I go on.) when I considered making the bridges over the moats working drawbridges to keep the other team out. In between the two castles, there's a bit of a field and two cave entrances inside of one large wall. One cave leads to a small meadow with a few powerups and a passageway leading into the moat. There's also a passageway to the top of a cliff with a good view of the castle. The other cave leads to the enemies side. (There should be a few twists and turns, and some areas to explore in there--possibly even leading into the first cave's path.) The castle should have a large open space once you get in, and a few rooms on the sides. There should also be a staircase leading to the top of the wall of the entrance, perfect spot for camping snipers. In the back of the castle, up a flight of stairs, lies the flag. The flag can be visible from the entrance via a window from that room.

Thinking it over, this could either be a really good map, or a really terrible map depending on how it's played out. I have a feeling that it's on a really thin line here, so whoever decides to make this better be competent. D:< should be careful. Oh right, one more thing. I had planned for it to be rainy (and kinda dark and dreary), with rain that doesn't push you anywhere. Still, I'm not sure if it would work out well...Them lag issues, y'know? If it doesn't work, then the name should be changed.

I could rip some textures, OR we could just use already existing ones...

Crystal Lake

Originally was gonna be Lime Forest Zone (Yeah, I think I miss playing SRB2. XD) Basically, it's a lush green area with a big ol' lake in the middle of the stage. The lake should be swimable, as it's actually really deep. I'm thinking though, that the there should be underwater passageways that would carry you like a current, and also be swimable (so you can float around while the water tunnel sucks you to the end), and at the end of the passage you come out of a small cave above the lake which has a waterfall coming out of it. Or it could be inside the lake, just shoot you out into the open water, or there could be both. I think that this map should focus a lot of work into making it visually appealing.

Racing Maps!
Yes, I had an idea for more racing maps, too. =P

Turbo Colosseum

I am disappoint. With all those race tracks around there, why have I not seen a single Turbo Man stage? There will be no wave bikes here, (maybe race cars, though...) This should be a race track worthy of Turbo Man's name.

Nitro Stadium

Pretty much the same as the above, but with Nitro Man. And yes, the two names are plays on Waluigi Stadium and Wario Colosseum from Mario Kart D.D! Turbo man would have his stage in the daytime, while Nitro Man at night. I have no real outright ideas for these two stages, I just really wanted to see them made. .___.;

Sewer Surfin'!

Okay so Jafar and I coincidentally came up with the same idea. There should definitely be two versions of this map, one for normal DM and the other for this. Either way, you need infinite oil slider or a surf board to ride on the raging rapids of waste water. Complete with Pizza Monsters jumping out of the water and trying to bite your head off!

SINGLE PLAYER/COOPERATIVE MAPS

I've had this idea for a long time. I want to play a story mode like the original games in the style of 8bit deathmatch. Playing through Robot Master's stages, platforming and fighting robots, and finally fighting the boss of that stage--Complete with their respectful class! In fact, We should start up a big ol project like this for all of the community to get into. That way there could be so much more aside from all the original robot masters. I'm serious, I would kill for this type of expansion.

No map ideas here yet.

Alright, that's all I've got so far. Any thoughts? =3

September 04, 2011, 04:49:19 AM
Reply #1

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
Re: Gizmo's Basement of Blueprints/Ideas (Totally not a ripo
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 04:49:19 AM »
Another step forward is to be like SmashBro, have ACTUAL blueprints. Have an idea of the final layout. Layout is what makes or breaks it. So if ya could supply them, then yar gonna have a more likely chance of this project to take off.

September 04, 2011, 04:56:51 AM
Reply #2

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:56:51 AM »
Well of course. The first thing I wanted to do way lay out all of my ideas first, making sure I didn't miss anything. THEN go ahead any make the real layouts/blueprints. I have a nack for forgetting good ideas quite often, so I wanted to do that first.

Quite a number of these I didn't even finish thinking through, yet. (i.e the one I was making up as I went along.) So there wasn't much I could do yet, anyway. But I'll be thinking over these and hopefully get the time to make actual detailed blueprints.

So aside from that, What are your thoughts on the actual ideas themselves?

September 04, 2011, 05:14:23 AM
Reply #3

Offline Blathers

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 02, 2011, 06:45:21 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 05:14:23 AM »
I could imagine having hundreds of different projectiles flying around that factory. But it would probably be fun.

As you said, balance may be an issue, but I'd probably overlook that if the map was interesting enough. You
don't join an insane place like that and hope for completely balanced game play. It's not really possible.

September 04, 2011, 07:22:57 AM
Reply #4

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:22:57 AM »
Quote from: "Blathers"
I could imagine having hundreds of different projectiles flying around that factory. But it would probably be fun.

As you said, balance may be an issue, but I'd probably overlook that if the map was interesting enough. You
don't join an insane place like that and hope for completely balanced game play. It's not really possible.

Good point there. Still, it sounded like a fun idea, but I can imagine the people raging about it. Though hey, if you see a map called "Eddie Cloning Factory", or even just "Cloning Factory", that outta tell you something.