Advanced Search

Author Topic: CTF Maps- Suggestions/Reworks  (Read 5415 times)

August 15, 2016, 11:23:21 PM
Read 5415 times

Offline LordDamager

• Standard Member

• Its me.
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2013, 10:39:17 PM

• View Profile
CTF Maps- Suggestions/Reworks
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:23:21 PM »
Hey there!

After playing ATF/CTF for a little bit recently, i feel that most maps could use a bit of a revamp or at least newer weapon placement.
Generally the mode itself isnt that popular, i know, but its still a classic of first person shooters and bringing a few new weapons and layouts to the table would at least help the mod become a little more lively, even if for a little bit.

Here are some things that i can think of so far:

WEAPON VARIETY: Now that we have megaman 9 weapons in the game, i noticed there are alot of older weapons prominent on most maps, and a lack of some utility weapons. For example, theres not many maps that contain scorch wheel from what i seen, which would be a nice weapon to get a speed boost to distract enemies or cap flags faster to push pressure on the enemy team. It seems that most weapons are more so geared to be offensive, with a lack of the more defensive weapons. there aren't many shield weapons availble, and with skull/leaf shield's revamp, it would be a nice weapon to include in CTF for defensive plays.

MAPS AND FUNCTIONALITY: While stock deathmatch maps have pretty neat gimmicks, such as thunder claw and clown orbs to latch and swing across, magic/clown trains, and roadster environmental hazards. While they should be more prominent in vanilla deathmatch maps, it would not hurt to spice up CTF a bit more with some of these (although, i dont think the clownman panels would work out well...). Another thing i feel is that it could benefit off of the newest textures from V4 and V5 to help liven up the maps a little more. Not many of them really utilize that many textures from the newer megaman games because they weren't available at the time.

The layouts do need a bit of rework as well, like icyfort for example:
(click to show/hide)

The arena is generally wide open here with the little paths in the river in the middle, which dont allow much room for movement and falling in hampers the flow of the map a little bit. there also isnt much cover out here save for the two cubes in mid and the blocks at either fort.

Another personal gripe is this:
(click to show/hide)

Blocks aren't red, its all blue. Just a personal texture gripe but sometimes it throws me off. idunno, maybe im dumb.

And finally the mid section of clash in the city needs some improvement as well. It looks nice but this doesnt flow very well:
(click to show/hide)

I'd honestly suggest removing the middle pillar, put down two instead with spike pits around them as well. This helps the flow above the surface a bit more while presenting a bit more of a challenge in the underwater section for combat. I'd also recommend making these bars be unable to shoot through the whole length, but still provide some open windows for firing through.

(thanks sonicfam for getting these screenshots btw)

This is just what i generally think so far, and when i get a bit more time, i'd be glad to come up with some potential changes/ideas for a few maps to help improve on CTF.

August 15, 2016, 11:30:11 PM
Reply #1

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: CTF Maps- Suggestions/Reworks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:30:11 PM »
To elaborate a bit more on the lack of defensive weapons, I noticed we have weapons like Copy Vision or Remote Mine which you can use to block off passageways, but as far as I know none of the CTF maps actually have these. Instead most maps tend to focus on excessive placement of weapons like Ring Boomerang or Needle Cannon. A few other weapons I'd suggest adding to more maps are the following:

Hornet Chaser
Scorch Wheel
Leaf Shield
Skull Barrier
Copy Vision (already mentioned)
Remote Mine (also already mentioned)
Crash Bomb
Concrete Shot

August 16, 2016, 01:32:20 AM
Reply #2

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 01:32:20 AM »
The problem with Copy Vision and Remote Mine isn't that they can block pathways; it's that some punk kid can just take a dump all over the flag pedestal and prevent anyone from picking it up without dying. Hornet Chaser is a different issue entirely; homing straight-up doesn't work in CTF, for some inane reason... despite working perfectly in every other team-based game mode ever. It's probably some Zandronum issue or something, not much we can do about it for the moment. And because homing doesn't work, Hornet Chaser just sort of hangs in the air wherever you drop it... which makes it a flying Flame Blast... and continues the issue of being able to just plant death around the flag pedestal.

August 16, 2016, 02:21:25 AM
Reply #3

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga
  • Date Registered: September 13, 2011, 06:26:12 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 02:21:25 AM »
And that's exactly why we should include shield / defensive weapons. Some idiot using copy vision to block the flag, pop up mirror buster, people shitting on it using flame blast? Skull barrier or junk shield can prevent that from being an issue. But then the game can get stalled out by people just running around with plant or skull barrier. BUT there is likely a way to work around this too. You can make those weapons work if the layout and other weapons compliment them.

Also this should be under bugs/suggestions but w/e

August 16, 2016, 02:55:36 AM
Reply #4

Offline Orange juice :l

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=590
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 02:55:36 AM »
If Scorch Wheel or Shield weapons were included they would need to be disabled for flag holders else they would be unstoppable.

August 22, 2016, 03:30:27 PM
Reply #5

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »
The only shield weapon that would be acceptable in its current state for CTF is Leaf Shield, in my opinion. All of the others offer way too much defensive benefit for flag carriers. At least Leaf Shield doesn't last very long or offer defense buffs that can protect a flag carrier to an inane degree.

Star Crash would also be all right, but that's much less of a shield weapon than the others are.

September 26, 2016, 04:47:01 PM
Reply #6

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »
The only shield weapon that would be acceptable in its current state for CTF is Leaf Shield
*COUGH* Jewel Satellite *COUGH*
It has pretty much no defensive benefits, except against homing weapons, which I don't think work in CTF.

Also, we definitely need more CTF maps. Definitely indubitably assuredly absolutely maybe.