Cutstuff > Events

Cutstuff CTF Competition 2: That's My Horse! ---FINISHED---

(1/15) > >>

Dr. Freeman:

It was declared that on the dark night of April 11th 2016, that Cutstuff would come together to make some maps for everyone's favorite and most played game mode.
CTF.

wait that's not right

Cutstuff CTF Competition 2: That's My Horse!

i don't know why it's called that don't whip me dad

Hey everyone, I'm Dr. Freeman, and welcome to the Cutstuff CTF Competition 2! Even though it's been freaking forever since the first one, I don't even remember when that was.

So what is this all about, you might be asking. Well luckily, this shouldn't be that hard to explain. It's simply a competition to make a CTF map in 8 Bit Deathmatch. How exciting!
There really isn't a gimmick besides that or anything, so usually where I'd have a few paragraphs explaining everything, I'm already done.
"But Freeman! No one even plays CTF anymore! What's the point?!"
i mean you're not wrong. it is really rare to see a server. But after two Finish That Maps, three Jams, and an INSPIRE, sometimes it's nice to mix up the type of maps you're making. And it's been a long while since CTF maps have been a thing. So why not have some fun?

Of course, like everything else there are some rules behind what's going on, so lets' go over them!

-It's a CTF map. That obviously means the map must be made with the Capture the Flag gamemode in mind. Two flags on opposite ends of the map. A spawn for one flag CTF. All that great stuff.

-As is expected, the maps also must have a symmetrical layout for that CTF goodness. Of course, there can and probably should be some texture differences on both sides so you can tell them apart.

-As always, if you don't use 8 Bit music i'm replacing it. have some class.

All the maps will be due on 11:59 PM, July 19th. No need to sign up, a finished map will be the sign up.
Now, you might be wondering why the hell it's due all the way in July when it's only mid April, that's like 3 months. WHAT KINDA SHAM ARE YOU RUNNING?!

To put it simply, this is a busy time of the year for a lot of people. There's school, there's work, there's probably some other things I don't know about. I think it's important that everyone has plenty of time to make something of quality and not feel like they're time crunched. So to account for all of this, I'm giving an incredibly open timeframe to make a good map. That doesn't mean you have to spend the entire time working on a map. Finish it in the first month if you want, or maybe you're busy but you'll have more time once June rolls around. I think it's important to make sure people have the time to make these things. Even if it means we'll be waiting a while to actually play on the maps.

Speaking of playing on the maps, this is indeed a competition and not just a for fun Jam. When everything is finished, servers will be put up for both CTF and One Flag CTF, and people will rank the maps from their favorite to least favorite. Judging will be entirely community based this time around and we will be lacking our usual panel of judges. Mostly because our usual panel of judges have elected to just have it be community based this time around.
"But wait, people can just band together and rig a winner then!"
i mean i guess
if you can get the numbers to make sure that one person wins a medal and nothing else. congrats then?
But at the very least, when voting does come around, I will not partake in it myself. It somehow feels fair that way even though it really doesn't affect anything.

If you're a winner, hey you get this piece of work.
If you're a runner up, get this instead. Cool.

Have some fun! Make some good maps! Don't only capture those flags, capture the hearts of the masses as well!

King Dumb:
Not only will I be participating in this competition (lets go bby), but I'll also be putting together some fun CTF-related activities over the course of the competition to increase exposure to my favorite game mode, get people more hyped about new CTF maps, and maybe spread some sick CTF knowledge that people can use in their maps!

Stay tuned for these things!

Watzup7856:

SIGN ME THE FUCK UP DUDE I'M ALL IN FOR THIS SHIT. I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO MAKE A CTF MAP

Rui:
I've always felt way too intimidated to try out mapping but symmetrical being one of the key aspects sounds like a helping hand, hopefully. It might be cool having a CTF map be my first map, too? Assuming I haven't made my first one by then.

I might have a lot more free time than what I already have soon so I'll try to take the first stepping stone eventually.

Bikdark:

--- Quote from: "Dr. Freeman" ---Judging will be entirely community based this time around and we will be lacking our usual panel of judges. Mostly because our usual panel of judges have elected to just have it be community based this time around.
--- End quote ---
I can already smell the rigging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version