Advanced Search

Author Topic: Your thoughts on the Mega Man X series?  (Read 20168 times)

June 14, 2014, 08:18:04 PM
Reply #30

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on the Mega Man X series?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
Heart tanks would be fixed just fine if they either applied to all characters or if there were more of them and a hard limit per character such that finding them all means all charterers get full life.  Where it really went wrong on powerups was typing them all to the rescue guys and the boss DNA crap.

June 15, 2014, 04:16:49 PM
Reply #31

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
Question, which is more useful: Dive Man's Dive Missile or Launch Octopus's Horming Torpedo?

June 15, 2014, 04:28:15 PM
Reply #32

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 04:28:15 PM »
Homing Torpedo by far!

June 15, 2014, 05:53:44 PM
Reply #33

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »
Dive Missile feels as if it has an ironic trouble of landing a hit, and iirc it's 1 damage and up to 1 missile on screen does make it a bit bad for serious power. It's more of a weapon to pick out harder to hit yet low health enemies.

Horming Torpedo however is fast and has a very high chance of hitting. It also does a decent amount of damage per hit. Charging it up fires 4 powerful projectiles that require little aiming. It's still good at picking out hard to hit enemies and is strong in more than just that aspect.

Horming Torpedo > Dive Missile

June 16, 2014, 05:03:04 PM
Reply #34

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »
I have completed X1 to X5. I shall give my very well thought out, extended, long-winded thoughts.

X1: Good.
X2: Good.
X3 (with Zero hack): Good.
X4: Good.
X5: Good, though less production values.

Yay.

June 17, 2014, 01:48:39 AM
Reply #35

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 01:48:39 AM »
I like X1 but I just couldn't get into X2 for some reason. I haven't played the rest but from what I heard the only one worth my time is X4.

June 17, 2014, 02:38:52 AM
Reply #36

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »
I didnt like X2 before, the sound and melody or design of the mavericks were weird (for me).
Even if i dont like a lot when we must search some items (like mm7?), MMX is a pretty EPIC serie with an epic story and rocknroll musics....
Since MMX is dead in mmz2 (with Zero in mmZ4 <_<) i dream of a mmX9 (or something like that).....
Actually, i replay all the mmx, i finished mmx1 and x2 again, so epic and good... <3

June 18, 2014, 03:15:33 PM
Reply #37

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
It's at the point now where I prefer the MMX series to classic.

It's probably because classic feels so slow and repetitive to me, and X is a lot more open and complex. Like, Mega Man has two speeds, he's either running or he's not. X has dashes, dash jumps, walljumps and so on and so forth that makes movement flow a lot better. In addition the only collectives classic has are little things like the Magnet Beam, Balloon, Wire Adaptor, X has heart tanks in every stage, sub tanks and weapon tanks in later games, and some of the most fun gameplay updates I've seen through use of the armours, especially later armours like Falcon and Gaea that actively change lots of the ways you'd be playing before.

Classic just seems dull in comparison. The only problem I have is that the X series is incredibly inconsistent, for every spectacular game in the series (X, X4, X5, X8) there are an equal number of forgettable ones (X2, X3) and terrible ones (X6, X7).

That's probably why I made XSP.

June 22, 2014, 05:00:57 AM
Reply #38

Offline Threxx

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2014, 10:52:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 05:00:57 AM »
When the series is good, it's amazing, incredibly fun to play, well designed, and leaves you wanting more. (X1, X4)

When the series is bad, it might just put you off for good. (X6, X7)

It's really polarizing for me, since my favorite and least favorite Mega Man games come from the X series. (X1 and X6 respectively.)

June 23, 2014, 12:19:44 AM
Reply #39

Offline Shyster

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 20, 2012, 12:19:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »
The things I love about classic Mega Man are its simple mechanics and game structure and replayability value from getting robot master weapons in different orders.

I feel like all the stuff to collect in Mega Man X gets tedious after a while, especially in X3, and that as the series went on, becoming more powerful over time became increasingly dependent on hidden armors, sub-tanks, etc. instead of maverick weapons. Especially in X4, the special weapons feel almost superfluous. X1 essentially had most of the special weapons I really enjoyed using.

X's new movement doesn't make the game much more interesting for me, and it almost feels clunky after playing the zero series first.

Overall, it's an okay series but not one that's worth really going back to again and again. My opinion may slip further after I play X5 and X6.

June 24, 2014, 05:12:54 PM
Reply #40

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
My opinion on the villains:

Oh hey, interesting villains with interesting motiv-

Nope, Sigma.

Fuh.

Though Doppler is cool.

June 24, 2014, 05:28:52 PM
Reply #41

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »
Sigma's honestly my least favorite character in the entire franchise - he's not really interesting enough to be a captivating villain, and the fact that antagonists in the series keep doing the same damn thing (Doppler, Gate, to a lesser extent Lumine) with him just really makes him boring. Dr. Wily at least changes up his M.O. from time to time, and is surprisingly charming to boot. Hell, even lesser villains like Elpizo or Serpent offer more in their short existance than Sigma ever did. He was interesting in X1, and then just became evil for the sake of being evil.

Also I'm starting to realize that my only real problems with the series are Heart Tanks and the occasional camera problem - even in X1 there have been times where leaps of faith had to have been made, and while they're generally good about keeping you safe, there are still spikes everywhere.

I've never really played X5, so maybe I'll get around to that in the future. The Alia boxes are going to kill me, but the rest of the game seems to flow alright.

June 24, 2014, 07:03:59 PM
Reply #42

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »
I think Sigma's vision was just limited by a couple factors and he was actually pretty cool.

X2 / X3 suffered a major case of design failure and his existence in those games was underwhelming especially with the fact that he had no real motives, like what Llama said about him being evil for the sake of evil. That's true in those SNES games, there seems to be a major hole right at the end of their shoddy plots that just kinda stick out horribly. I mean, X2 was like WE ARE THE X HUNTERS > REVIVE ZERO > REVIVE SIGMA > ????, I guess he just wanted to take over the world like Wily was doing the whole classic series. X2 and X3 were so much lighter than X for some reason and I guess that's why they didn't feel the need to explain what he was doing.

X4 / X5 was where he started to become interesting again. He had real motives in those games and it was interesting how well he went about his actions, even if the whole Final Weapon scenario was pretty odd his manipulation of General and the Repliforce using Magma Dragoon and the Sky Lagoon (try saying those last two fast) made him an interesting and threatening villain, despite knowing it was him the whole time. X5 was similar as you knew it was him the whole time, but losing on purpose in the intro stage and using Dynamo to drop the colony and create the Zero virus was pretty smart, although again it was pretty odd how he kept bringing up his MYSTERIOUS ALLY OOOooOooOooOOo

and then X6 and X7 destroyed any credibility he had gg

June 24, 2014, 08:16:10 PM
Reply #43

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »
The problem I have with Sigma is that even though it's really good to be able to actually fight the main antagonist himself unlike in classic series, a bunch of the fights do seem to fall short a little bit.

X1 - The fight is really challenging and intense as it should be....as long as you're not using a really easy exploit.  The battle can actually be really fun otherwise, but those times are little because of how tempting and easy an exploit is.
X3 - Both his forms feel too pattern based. Takes away a bit of the immersion honestly.
X4 - Same as X3.
X5 - First form feels a bit lackluster, though I'm not that sure on why exactly. Second form......uuuughhhhhhh that fight. For what was supposed to be the series finale, it didn't do a great job. Those electric sphere attacks just feel boring to try and avoid, and the fists just generally confuse me. The biggest thing that ruins the battle for me though is that purple square attack. It gets me about 75% of the time at least and takes away a lot of my health per hit. It feels almost impossible to avoid through skill (unless I'm really missing something obvious about it. My hopes of winning the fight are dependent on him not using that attack, which rarely happens.
X6 - My second favourite Sigma battle, though that first form is a bit too quick and easy to take down honestly.

However....

X8 - This one is brilliant. The set of final battles in X8 is my favourite final battle in the franchise, and the Sigma battle is partly why. The battle feels really solid and well made to me, and it makes me wish all the battles in the series were this good. For Sigma's last battle, this is the level of quality it should have been, not X5.

Quote from: "LlamaHombre"
I've never really played X5, so maybe I'll get around to that in the future. The Alia boxes are going to kill me, but the rest of the game seems to flow alright.
I did like the game at first for the most part, but the more I played it, the more I started to not like it. I appreciate the story ambition and the great music as usual, but to me the game has a lot of questionable design choices that really make the game less enjoyable. I do feel really alone on this opinion though, and I actually find X6 to be a much better game.

June 25, 2014, 04:52:10 AM
Reply #44

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 04:52:10 AM »
Sigma is more a victim of the Virus than a true bad guy, it's sad for him :/
I need a new ennemy and Sigma back, it could be fun(ny) (prepare beer glasses! xD I joke )

Anyways, Im sure, MMX corrupted will be helpful to give some LIFE UP to the megaman X serie... i follow JKB games on FB, and it looks more and more crazy....
(click to show/hide)
Here a screenshot, well it's not the good topic for that, but just to say => mmX has more possibilities than MM "classic" because capcom had more possibilities with SNES in the good old times, but without to change the gameplay of the MM classic an without to kill the style of the classic, they created MMX.
Can't wait this game.... :)

But MM classic is as important as MMX for me, the gameplay of the 2 series can be different and as cool than each other.
MM classic is "classic" style but so fun, and like 90% of the soundtracks are perfect for me' (:
MM X is more complicate, harder to re-play because there is a lot of things to search, but it's cool if you have the time for it!

Actually, i re-play mmx3, a bomb.... gameplay, musics, MMX is epic!

Too bad for Rockman Online.....even if the heroes are not MMX and MM Classic but the DNA copy, it could be cool to have a canon game like that.....for occident too....pfff

"IF" capcom make a new megaman game, i think, the best idea could be a crossover between X and Classic like the comics (Archie try to do it, can't wait to read it!) :)