Advanced Search

Author Topic: Chaos Generator Ver. Q  (Read 8563 times)

October 27, 2020, 06:40:14 PM
Read 8563 times

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
Chaos Generator Ver. Q
« on: October 27, 2020, 06:40:14 PM »
Since Beed28 is no longer updating this mod, might as well.

Chaos Generator
Chaos Generator is a mod originally created by CutmanMike, later developed by Beed28, and then developed by me. In this mod, 3 random effects are chosen every time a match starts, causing all sorts of mayhem. These effects include double damage, low gravity, players exploding into random weapons, players on permenant wavebikes, and many more.

How to run
Simply add chaosgenerator-vq.wad. That's it!

About the Hub
The Chaos Hub's map name is CHAOSHUB, and to return there, someone will have to do a map vote to it. The current "Master" can pick any of the Chaos Effects while the other players wait. The Master can also reset the reels, any misc options and choose which level to go to. Also, note that not all Chaos Effects are compatible with each other (e.g. you can't have Half Damage AND Double Damage), so the hub won't let you pick incompatible effects.

Change Log
(click to show/hide)

Screenshots:
(click to show/hide)

Latest Version Download (Ver. Q):
(Allfearthesentinel)
(Mirror at Weebly)

Old Versions:
(click to show/hide)

October 29, 2020, 07:58:01 AM
Reply #1

Offline JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile

November 01, 2020, 01:10:23 PM
Reply #2

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Chaos Generator Ver. O
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »
Had an effect idea.

Thanks for the idea! I'm not going to incorporate this exactly, but rather something pretty similar featuring SetActorProperty.
cough SetActorProperty cough APROP_ScaleY cough APROP_AttackZOffset cough APROP_ViewHeight cough

November 10, 2020, 07:23:57 AM
Reply #3

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
Re: Chaos Generator Ver. O
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 07:23:57 AM »
It's really a pleasure to see this mod being updated again. It makes DM more attracting and makes the quick games just fun overall.

November 20, 2020, 05:12:35 PM
Reply #4

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Chaos Generator Ver. P
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 05:12:35 PM »
Ver. P Released!

(click to show/hide)

November 20, 2020, 08:40:32 PM
Reply #5

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:40:32 PM »
Wait, does this mean there's no room for spectators at all? Or that, if there is one person sitting in the spec box, the game just won't start?

November 20, 2020, 09:18:50 PM
Reply #6

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:18:50 PM »
Wait, does this mean there's no room for spectators at all? Or that, if there is one person sitting in the spec box, the game just won't start?

It will stop waiting for players at 30 seconds. Looking back at it, maybe that's a bit too long.

December 20, 2020, 05:29:22 PM
Reply #7

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »
3 Effects often feels rather limitin'. Think it'll be possible to bump it up to 4? I would never go over 5 for sanity's sake.

December 20, 2020, 05:31:01 PM
Reply #8

Offline Jedimaster76

• Standard Member

• Professional High Ground Abuser
  • Date Registered: May 04, 2020, 06:25:26 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
3 Effects often feels rather limitin'. Think it'll be possible to bump it up to 4? I would never go over 5 for sanity's sake.
I would make 5 anyway just for those people who want true chaos...

December 21, 2020, 08:40:49 PM
Reply #9

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 08:40:49 PM »
I logged in and I see a post with exactly what I wanted to post lol that's insane

I'd be pretty cool if the effects could be raised to 5 max, indeed. I really want to try Spark shock base wep + rapid fire + spread + vampirism + reflect projectiles on MM4DRI but can't with 3 effects :(

Aside from that a few extra suggestions I'd have :

> right now the "master" is picked randomly, but kind of like in SH sometimes random is not being fair with everyone. I'd say a player couldn't be picked a second time until the whole server got to be the master

> Also that's an extra, but pre-saving effects sets (on your zandronum personal config) could be nice to speed up time in the HUB (especially if effects raise to 5). Each player could have for example 3 slots for pre-registered effect sets, and with some custom button (user_1 user_2 user_3 etc) you could load them instantly when you're the master.

> Also an extra but the HUB has like 6 parts (weapon, hazards, player, world etc) and the spots feel similar, after hours on this mod I still confuse them. I feel like you could use a different wall/floor texture to differentiate the rooms better (red walls/floors for weapon room, blue for player effects, etc), or add some visual icon in the entrance, in addition to the text

December 21, 2020, 10:02:00 PM
Reply #10

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 10:02:00 PM »
Damn, these are some great suggestions!

I've felt for a long time that extra effect slots would be a boon, but 3 was enough for everyone. Judging from the three of you, 3 effect slots are not nearly enough. I'll still probably have 3 effects for default, but allow up to 5 effects if the master wants it.

Players getting to be the master repeatedly was a problem that I noticed, but thought I couldn't solve. I've since found the solution to be pretty straight-forward: use global variables to keep track of who has been the master. Guess I just needed that small kick to get going.

Hotkeying effects for the hub is pretty neat. I haven't played around with controls or configuration before, so that should be an interesting programming experience.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the samey hub. I think I might go for a visual icon, but that might change in the future.

December 23, 2020, 11:46:44 AM
Reply #11

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Chaos Generator Ver. Q Beta
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 11:46:44 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but this is important.

So... I've pretty much finished Ver. Q, which includes the biggest change I've ever done to this mod: up to 5 effects. However, with every new version I make there's always some error or bug that I overlook (anybody remember the force beams?), and for such a big update, I can't have that.

So I'm going to release a beta of this mod. If you have any suggestions or find any mistakes, tell me and I'll fix it.

Oh, and happy holidays. Thank you all for liking Chaos Generator and my contribution to it.

December 23, 2020, 05:38:03 PM
Reply #12

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 05:38:03 PM »
I'd recommend not rushing releases especially since you're almost at the last letter of the alphabet :P take your time, better fewer stable versions than many with plenty of hotfixes (speaking from my personal mistakes lol)

If you're unsure about bugs (and you should) you could have some private testing, proposing a semi-public testing session in the MM8BDM discord could work. It can help find stuff you might have overlooked

I'd love to help you improve this mod if I had more time ewe

January 05, 2021, 08:49:28 AM
Reply #13

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Chaos Generator Ver. Q
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 08:49:28 AM »
Ver. Q Released!

(click to show/hide)

January 06, 2021, 05:37:48 AM
Reply #14

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast

• View Profile
Re: Chaos Generator Ver. Q
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 05:37:48 AM »
Woah that was impressively fast for such major changes.
I didn't get to test it with other players yet but the hotkeys seem operational and properly append the effect to the next unused slot. 1 button = 1 particular effect does seem cleaner and more practical than 1 button = 1 effect set. The fact the effects are sorted alphabetically in the options menu is also nice.
Can't cheat by having uncompatible effects with hotkeys (half damage + double damage i.e)

I was rather expecting the effects category icon to be in the entrance so that you can from the center x,y,z point of the map quickly tell which corridor is where without the need to move toward it.

With 5 effects now I feel like you could shorten the time for the effects to take place (when it does that tsskktssktssk sound and slots-in the effects when the map starts)

Aside from that big gg there, pretty sure Beed28 would be proud of this mod's state now. I'll definitely host this with my mod when it's done.