Advanced Search

Author Topic: Major Best Ever moderation changes  (Read 8792 times)

June 25, 2016, 02:26:14 AM
Reply #15

Offline strafer

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 25, 2016, 02:04:06 AM

• View Profile
Re: Major Best Ever moderation changes
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 02:26:14 AM »
Can't really speak for Jenova, but he has hinted that he can host a master server, in which BE would use and reopen the service without worrying about the Zandronum staff's interference. For this, it is advisable to convince both Zalewa/Blzut3 (doomseeker developer) and/or Bond (doom explorer developer) to add multi master server support. I have written a post on the official site of doom explorer, show your support there I guess:

http://doomutils.ucoz.com/forum/4-103-369-16-1466821306

June 25, 2016, 11:04:27 AM
Reply #16

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »
http://www.best-ever.org/login

"Sorry, I took BE down. I'm generally unhappy with the way the Zandronum staff handles things. I know this petty drama doesn't affect most of you since you just use #bestever to host but they do affect me. I have to deal with these issues on a daily basis because somehow I've apparently become a large figure in this community or something.

You can join #tspg-painkiller for the same thing as BE as they use a fork of our bot."

Thanks again Jenova, i will miss BE, i hope Watakid and you will be still around, people should imagine how some admins and nice people can react to mean things, "like imagine yourself instead them, should you be happy if we do the same thing to you?"
But we can't change people anyway'.

I will miss BE because i have used it for a lot of stuff (not only mm8bdm)...i remember some nice coom with some iwad. :)

Well yeah, let's go to [TSPG] in the hope nobody will troll anymore or start mean stuff here too.

June 25, 2016, 01:45:13 PM
Reply #17

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »
Fine by me. You're providing that hosting service for free, can't complain about something free.

June 25, 2016, 02:13:25 PM
Reply #18

Offline JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »
So wait just to be clear, he took the servers down, put them back up, then took them down again?

June 25, 2016, 03:25:42 PM
Reply #19

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
Quote from: "JaxOf7"
So wait just to be clear, he took the servers down, put them back up, then took them down again?

Yes, no more servers (even for megaman), it seems really dead.

June 26, 2016, 10:40:53 PM
Reply #20

Offline Jenova

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 08, 2013, 02:55:14 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »
You can use TSPG (The Sentinel's Playground). They run a fork of the bot me and Watermelon created to let people host servers easily.

I've shared the sentiment that you guys aren't a part of the Zandronum community, but I am and so is BE. I wanted to keep hosting for Megaman and /vr/ stuff but I simply can't justify spending money and time on it at this point. BE is a part of the Zandronum community whether you think it is or not, and ultimately I am at the mercy of the Zandronum master server and a few Zandronum administrators which I believe are extremely biased and unfit for the position who I will not name.

I've hosted BE for 4 years and tried to be as unbiased as possible. Despite the fact that I absolutely hated Megaman (competitive doom idiot here), I allowed it because even though I thought these mods were terrible, I respected that people should be able to play what they want. The only things we blacklisted where things that affected the server's cpu, RAM, etc.

If you truly want to disassociate yourselves, then pay for your own servers and (optionally) use a different master server. Until then, don't be surprised when a player such as myself who has been a part of the doom community for 12+ years is fed up with a bunch of crap and decides to bounce. It's definitely a shitty situation for you guys but please try to understand my position.

The problem is that I've been running BE for such a long time that it seems like it's become a right rather than a privilege. It's not. I pay out of my own pocket to host servers that I never even play. You can complain that I'm taking the servers down and be upset -- that's your right. However, I find it extremely stupid to just berate me, as a few others have, for simply choosing not to host any servers anymore. I've tried my best to provide for the community for the past 4 years. Even when my servers were getting ddos'd which impacted my actual revenue stream (private game server), I kept the servers up because I genuinely enjoyed watching people play and be able to host servers.

The megaman community has been very pleasant to me and I'd like to think I've been rather pleasant to you guys. Obviously you are not the cause of the drama, but when a player of 12+ years has to leave (as multiple others have by the way, I'm not the first) over a specific group of players and poor administrators then maybe this indicative of a problem larger than "Jenova is a petty idiot!!".

There was another French player called Ch0ww who also used to host competitive doom servers, stopped, and left the Zandronum community for the same reason. I never see it mentioned how he was a petty idiot, simply because his servers didn't generate as much traffic. Obviously you guys aren't the problem here, but as long as Megaman is a Zandronum mod you will always be a part of the community. Whether you'd like to distance yourselves from it is up to you.

June 26, 2016, 11:36:28 PM
Reply #21

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 11:36:28 PM »
I have never been a fan of the idea of disassociating ourselves from Zandronum. I (and Torr Samaho) have never wanted this, there's no need. Players should be encouraged to check out other Zand mods and visa-versa. The Doom community is already split up thanks to it's bazillion ports and game modes and I don't want to add another slice.

I can understand why people are annoyed over the whole thing but alternatives exist. MM8BDM will keep going on regardless.

June 26, 2016, 11:53:59 PM
Reply #22

Offline Jenova

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 08, 2013, 02:55:14 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »
Of course, and I didn't mean to suggest that you should. I've received some complaints about what I did and after I explained (basically the message I posted above), a few suggested that if I hated the admins so much or whatever that I should split off. Obviously as a player of a long time and who has played Skulltag (now Zandronum) since there were about ~5-10 active players on ALL servers, I'd also rather not split the community, which is why I decided to just shut down the servers.

Feel free to host your own BE though! It's completely open source: https://github.com/IvanTopolcic/bestever

If you need help hosting it I can help you out. Just message me on the forums here or message me on IRC (Jenova on irc.zandronum.com, irc.quakenet.org) and I'd be glad to help any person who wants to take over the reigns. I'll even port all of the megaman wads over and write a script to auto-import them into your database. I ran my servers off of http://www.soyoustart.ca which I've found to be cheap and reliable. I paid about $60 CAD (after tax) and the server was able to host about 200 Zandronum servers and handle 10s of terabytes of traffic per month.

I don't play megaman, but I'm sure if there was a server cluster specifically for this you could essentially avoid all of the non-megaman drama.