Advanced Search

Author Topic: Buster-only runs: completely missing the point?  (Read 7534 times)

October 28, 2010, 10:42:13 PM
Reply #15

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 13, 2009, 03:06:04 PM

• View Profile
    • http://minimega.tumblr.com/
Re: Buster-only runs: completely missing the point?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 10:42:13 PM »
I get the feeling from a lot of game companies now that they either do REALLY old school graphics or 3D/3D pre-renders for new 2D games. Or some other weird new-age graphics style.

The art of 16-bit graphics has been lost except for a few games here and there. I honestly feel like it's too difficult for them to make. I'd love a new MegaMan 7 styled game, but I doubt we will ever see it : (

October 29, 2010, 12:05:32 AM
Reply #16

Offline brotoad

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: February 25, 2010, 01:33:13 AM

• View Profile
    • http://brotoad.tumblr.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 12:05:32 AM »
the megaman 10 box art was like "oh look they did that again"

megaman X6 was a terrible game. hardcore X fans will try to tell you "oh you just hate it because it's too hard for you!" thats true, but it's hard because of piss poor level design. plus the fact they didn't even bother translating the cutscenes and much like MMX5 it just felt like a hack of MMX4

October 29, 2010, 12:33:40 AM
Reply #17

Offline TrueTenguMan

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 22, 2010, 11:10:20 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 12:33:40 AM »
Quote from: "brotoad"
the megaman 10 box art was like "oh look they did that again"

megaman X6 was a terrible game. hardcore X fans will try to tell you "oh you just hate it because it's too hard for you!" thats true, but it's hard because of piss poor level design. plus the fact they didn't even bother translating the cutscenes and much like MMX5 it just felt like a hack of MMX4

Thing is that... X6 was never suppose to happen :|

October 29, 2010, 03:27:31 AM
Reply #18

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 03:27:31 AM »
It seems Capcom forgot to use a condom!
I actually kinda liked X5, but that's really only because I love having more than one armor.

October 29, 2010, 03:45:18 AM
Reply #19

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 03:45:18 AM »
Quote from: "brotoad"
...and much like MMX5 it just felt like a hack of MMX4

I have played the living hell of the three PSX MMX games: believe me, they are different. Can't tell you why, but they are.

On topic, while we're discussing the purpose of buster-only runs, a common issue is brought upon us:

Are we really sure when we say that certain weapons aren't useful? I used to say that about Dust Crusher and Gyro Attack and Gemini Laser, and now I use them more often than the buster. Hell, I used to think Top Spin sucked. How wrong I was :3

October 29, 2010, 03:52:19 AM
Reply #20

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 03:52:19 AM »
I know when I used to play a long time ago, I never switched weapons. The main reason being cause I wanted to save all the energy for the boss fight, and didn't want to waste any before then.

My oldest brother likes using buster only for the most part, for a couple of reasons. Some fights are ridiculously easy with weapons, so the buster makes it a bit more of a challenge/a cooler fight. Also, buster is the default weapon and thus EVERYTHING can be hit by it, whereas some weapons are completely ineffective against some enemies. Plus it's fast with rapid fire and has infinite ammo.

Now when I play, I like switching weapons, as a way to find interesting and easier ways through levels. This became really apparent when they released 9, where not only they had a bunch of useful weapons but the time attack mode, which had you figuring out what combo of weapons could get you through a level the fastest.

October 29, 2010, 04:03:18 AM
Reply #21

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 04:03:18 AM »
Quote from: "PressStart"
This became really apparent when they released 9...

Remember MM8? Flame Sword? Flash Bomb? Ice Wave? Homing Sniper? Tornado Hold?. They're all useful, and I learned that in my very first run through MM8.

Maybe the buster-only run does give a sensation of challenge, but it should be that way if by challenge you mean "harder boss fights". But the buster doesn't run out of ammo, it's fast and, in some games, chargeable if you didn't like the base AT and wanted more firepower from it. Which is why I keep saying that the Charge Shot needs some tweaking (or probably nerfing. Some hackers lowered the Charge Shot's AT to 2, instead of the normal 3).

MM4GB's Charge Shot is a good example of a tweak. A longer charge time can also be a good example.

October 29, 2010, 04:10:15 AM
Reply #22

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 04:10:15 AM »
Oh for sure, MM8 really gives me a sensation of not only useful weapons, but useful in an interesting way. Tornado Hold particularly as a vertical-bomb-hover thingy.

What I meant to emphasize was MM9's time attack mode. Sorry about that : (