Advanced Search

Author Topic: A somewhat centralized MM8BDM Install Guide  (Read 14539 times)

December 06, 2015, 03:16:03 AM
Read 14539 times

Offline Orange juice :l

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=590
A somewhat centralized MM8BDM Install Guide
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:16:03 AM »
Posting this here because previous guides have been buried or point to now outdated servers or addons.

This is a guide for Windows. If you have a Mac and don't have any better way to run Windows programs, look here... but no promises, sorry.
STEP 1: Download the game.
Go to <!-- m -->http://cutstuff.net/mm8bdm/<!-- m --> and click the prominent download button. Easy as that!
STEP 2: Install the game.
Extract the downloaded ZIP file wherever you want it. If you don't know a good place, just extract it to a folder on your Desktop.
STEP 3: Install Doomseeker, a server browser.
Click this link to download Doomseeker: <!-- m -->http://doomseeker.drdteam.org/files/doo ... indows.zip<!-- m -->
Install it much the same as you did MM8BDM; I recommend another directory inside of your MM8BDM folder.
STEP 4: Configure Doomseeker.
Run Doomseeker.exe to open Doomseeker. Ensure the following settings are set:
• In the "Query" dropdown tab, ensure the only option enabled is "Zandronum".
• In the "Options" dropdown tab, open "Configure".
- Under Engines, select Zandronum. Click the three dots next to the "Path to Executable" field and navigate to the directory you extracted MM8BDM to. Select "Zandronum.exe"
*Note: If you finish these steps and selecting a server in Doomseeker causes the single player launcher to appear, you selected MM8BDM.exe instead of Zandronum.exe- Ensure you have the latter in this field.
- In the same Zandronum tab, ENSURE your "Masterserver address" is set to master.zandronum.com:15300 and "Testing Releases" is UNCHECKED.
- In the configure window, locate "File Paths". Select the folder that contains MM8BDM.exe and Zandronum.exe (along with a number of other files).
- Under WadSeeker, select General. For "Directory WadSeeker will put WADs into", select the same directory that you selected for File Paths.
- Under WadSeeker, select Sites. If the website <!-- m -->https://static.painkiller.allfearthesentinel.net/wads<!-- m --> is not listed, add it. This site holds the vast majority of mods you will need to use to connect to servers.
If you're not interested in other games (Doom 2, Hexen, CHEX 3D etc.) click the funnel icon near the top of the window. In the WADs field, type the following: megagame
STEP 5: You're done!
Double click on a server to connect to it. Chances are you'll have to download some extra files before you can connect- allow Wadseeker to download them (the thing we configured earlier) and it'll grab all the mods for you automatically (handy!). If it doesn't find a mod file, chances are it's not publically available (in beta, made for certain people, etc etc.). If you're having issues, sign up here on the forums and post in the Help&Editing section.

STEP 6: Future Proofing
If you open up Doomseeker and see that your "MM8BDM-v##.pk3" (i.e. MM8BDM-v4a.pk3 or MM8BDM-v5d.pk3) is not the most up-to-date version of the game, redownload from the original mm8bdm download site. If you copy over your Zandronum-[username].ini file and all your mod files, all your settings will be intact for your fresh install!

Of more importance is the fact that Zandronum updates at a different schedule than MM8BDM. If you try connecting to a server and it says your version of Zandronum is out of date, go to Zandronum.com and download the newest release package. Just get the zip file- you can just extract that into your MM8BDM folder, overwriting the old files. Of course, making a backup never hurts...

FAQ:
No servers are popping up, and there's a message saying I'm banned from the Zandronum Master Server! Why?
Sometimes, the Zandronum Staff needs to ban a range of IPs to keep a known cheater or troll out of the servers. Sometimes, players get caught up in these ranges and are banned before they can even play. If that happens to you, follow these instructions and you'll be unbanned.

October 10, 2017, 12:34:57 AM
Reply #1

Superjoak

Re: A somewhat centralized MM8BDM Install Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:34:57 AM »
Hello! I want to create a server in DoomSeeker but when I try to start it, the Zandronum opens and asks me for a Doom directory. Is it an error because I didnt follow the instruction or I need to download the actual Doom for playing online? I know, it sounds a bit dumb the question but this doesnt figurate in the instruction.

February 10, 2020, 10:57:04 AM
Reply #2

Offline NotPurpleGeist

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 09, 2020, 06:02:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
So, can you answer his message, I also need explainations about why does the game doesn't want to start !

April 02, 2020, 03:33:18 PM
Reply #3

Offline Bowsertime28

• Standard Member

• MEWTWO GOT A SHOTGUN *click* *click*
  • Date Registered: March 29, 2020, 03:47:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 03:33:18 PM »
How do i join a server? I really want to play mm8bdm and not accidentaly join a doom server... I am not a fan of doom because it has waaaaaaaaaaay too much blood...

April 06, 2020, 08:06:40 PM
Reply #4

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 08:06:40 PM »
If you're using Doomseeker, there should be an option near the top that looks like a funnel. If you click it, you can filter servers by several different ways. If you filter for the "megagame.wad" WAD then you'll only find MM8BDM servers.

November 26, 2020, 08:38:11 PM
Reply #5

Offline Steller

• Standard Member

• Just naming a few more stars!
  • Date Registered: November 03, 2020, 08:53:22 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 08:38:11 PM »
Is there a video for this, I'm confused?