Advanced Search

Author Topic: [HUD Mod] Minimalist UI - v1a  (Read 7738 times)

March 09, 2015, 12:19:30 AM
Read 7738 times

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
[HUD Mod] Minimalist UI - v1a
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:19:30 AM »
A UI with arguably more features than core with half as much code.
That is the way of the minimalist.

This is a modified UI for MM8BDM based on efforts to make a UI that was compatible with virtually every normal weapons mod out there and while this does not exactly do that, I think the result was pretty nice nonetheless.
This HUD eventually became a somewhat-complete redesign of the Classic Megaman UI with graphics based off of Megaman ZX.

I noted in the horizontal HUD rework thread, the code for creating UIs is completely clientsided, meaning you can run a mod with a custom UI with new graphics and everything on a client and join a server as you would any other.

There isn't much more I can say about this, so I'll just let screenshots speak for themselves.
(click to show/hide)

DOWNLOAD HERE [Dropbox]

INSTALLATION: Use SLADE or SLumpEd to open MM8BDM-v4b.pk3.
Download and import the above wad as a lump.
Ensure the wad is the last file in the pk3 and hit save.
Assuming you didn't tamper with any other core files, you should be able to freely join any server you were able to previously.

NOTES: - This UI will only work on vanilla-based modes. If any mods are running that make use of SBARINFO, this mod will no longer be fully functional.
- As a result of this UI being specifically designed to work in pvp modes, boss health and related resources use the same as horizontal in core. Unsure if I will update it to include a custom version or not.
- The UI was designed in the vein of horizontal bar mode, so it works the same regardless of bar mode.

March 09, 2015, 12:22:23 AM
Reply #1

Offline BookofDobson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 05, 2014, 11:04:24 PM

• View Profile
Re: [HUD Mod] Minimalist UI - v1a
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:22:23 AM »
I don't get it.

Is it just a HUD change?

March 09, 2015, 12:24:45 AM
Reply #2

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc

• View Profile
pls
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:24:45 AM »
Yes it is.

March 09, 2015, 01:02:39 AM
Reply #3

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:02:39 AM »
Wait, can't you just add minimalistui-v1a.wad as a separate file in the launcher? Or it not that simple?

Oh, and can you let it show your frags like in normal Doom? :D

May 31, 2016, 05:23:19 AM
Reply #4

Offline leoalex50

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 29, 2012, 02:13:25 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 05:23:19 AM »
Quote from: "Lego"
I noted in the horizontal HUD rework thread, the code for creating UIs is completely clientsided, meaning you can run a mod with a custom UI with new graphics and everything on a client and join a server as you would any other.
what horizontal HUD rework thread its not there anymore (no topic so it might have been deleted)

May 31, 2016, 02:31:06 PM
Reply #5

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:06 PM »
It must have been purged sometime ago, though either this or Korby's HUDShot would be a good place to start when learning custom HUD stuff.

In retrospect the name of this custom HUD is kind of lame and I've been meaning to release an update at some point to both better reflect what it is, but it should give you a good starting point if you want something easy to look at in terms of coding backend.

Good luck to ya!

June 08, 2016, 05:31:33 AM
Reply #6

Offline RageBurner

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 25, 2015, 03:03:24 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 05:31:33 AM »
I hope this doesn't constitute a thread hijack of sorts, but I've been trying to learn SBARINFO through Lego's HUD. There are still things I want to do with it, like adding weapon and item icons to the gauges that I still don't know how to do, but here's what I have so far:

(click to show/hide)

Some more progress. I refined the look of the bars, and also made a horizontal version of the set (my preferred style of gauges).

Some things still confuse me though:

- I can't seem to make the second weapon bar behave correctly (it empties when it should fill or vice-versa)

- How can I mask bars when they aren't needed? I'm making this bar set primarily for use with Class mods, at least for now, and some classes don't need a second weapon bar (like Needle Man for example).

Edit: Some more progress. I fixed the bars' behaviors in regards to direction and state (full, empty) but I'm still having problems with masking. I can't seem to correctly hide the second weapon bars for classes that don't need it, to save screen clutter.

I even made a different graphic for it (a completely retracted bar; if you played Mega Man Legends you know what I mean). I tried to work it out by specifying class types for each HUD (1Weapon bar, 2Weapon bars) and also trying to use else clauses, but so far nothing worked. I may try to adapt the huds individually for every class' needs, but it will be far from elegant code wise I guess.

I appreciate all feedback.

(click to show/hide)

Edit 2: Trying to individualize bar types per character doesn't seem to work correctly. Maybe I'll need to add one lump for each group of classes, and include both at runtime to avoid conflicts, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Edit 3: I figured out a few things and have been able to make it so the HUD now displays only the bars needed by each class (by using the PlayerClass command to build the sub blocks. I wasn't formatting it correctly I guess).
I'm now working out a few kinks of the copywep classes. I'd like to hide both weapon bars when the busters are in use, but I don't know how yet. I tried DrawSwitchableImage, but it doesn't quite work thus far.
Here's the current state of the HUD.

(click to show/hide)