Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch > MM8BDM Discussion

Bad Map Design (Discussion on what makes some of the current maps bad)

(1/2) > >>

PinjewIsHere:
So I was sitting there, swagging like a true gamer, when I realized some of these maps are kinda dog water. So, instead of making empty complaints on the Unofficial MM8BDM server, I'm starting a thread where I'll be hand picking the maps that I have qualms with.

How am I gonna criticize these maps? Simple. Using this swagger "Bad Map Design Sin list" I've created with a few people (Mendez and Lil Gibton mainly), I will go into details onto how they break some of the rules and commit the sins I've listed. The Sin list can be found in this link:
https://pastebin.com/XXfyLwmQ
It goes over the sins of mapping, as well as what maps avoid the sins.

I'll most likely be using Pastebin for a majority of my posts too, just to make it easier on me when writing up my complaints.
If you got problems with my opinions on the maps, I'm open to discussion about these maps. That is to say, you don't also do empty complaints on my opinions (Such as: Just adapt, It was only made for deathmatch, etc. If you wanna prove that a map is good, please give a logical explanation and reasoning behind it).

Pr. Gibberoni:
dis gon b gud :cool:

dont fuck with lil gibton's mapping advice bro

CutmanMike:

--- Quote from: PinjewIsHere on October 28, 2020, 05:59:28 PM ---That is to say, you don't also do empty complaints on my opinions (Such as: Just adapt, It was only made for deathmatch, etc. If you wanna prove that a map is good, please give a logical explanation and reasoning behind it).

--- End quote ---

Opinions are fine but I don't think "It was only made for deathmatch" is an invalid counterpoint since every map in the game (sans ctf) is designed around that mode first, and it's clear from the pastebin the gameplay you're basing the critique rules on LMS/TLMS (I assume ccbm). If the complaint focuses around stalling or one point of the map being too controlling, that probably just makes it a bad LMS map and not necessarily a bad deathmatch map, for example. Though I'm sure there's plenty of complaints to be had that effect any game mode (i.e bad textures/item layouts/dead ends), so go nuts.

PinjewIsHere:
I do believe in the idea that if it's good in a non-objective based team mode (tlms, tdm, the likes), it's good for lms and dm. It's why I don't like the talk about a map only being based on dm, especially in a game like this where team modes correlate good maps (MM9DW1 MM7DW1 MM8DUO MM5DAR are all great for team modes and deathmatch).

Laggy Blazko:
I think "megaman stairs" are fine if there's other alternatives nearby. Like you could have a elevated area and the shortest way to go up is a megaman stair, but there can be other stairs/jump pads/whatever as well. Taking the "megaman stair" could make players save time with the cost of being an easy target or something. Like a middle point between regular stairs and ladders.
Nothing wrong with having to jump in a Megaman fangame. :v

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version