Advanced Search

Author Topic: GVH:Cold Demise feedback  (Read 56560 times)

December 01, 2009, 10:21:08 AM
Reply #15

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
Re: GVH:Cold Demise feedback
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 10:21:08 AM »
What complaints? I'll start work on GVH:EWv2 next year when cold demise has no(less) complaints.

December 01, 2009, 11:31:53 AM
Reply #16

Offline Mobius

• Donator

• A3's magnus faber - Fait Accompli
  • Date Registered: October 12, 2009, 12:08:01 AM

• View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/TheZones/index.php?act=site
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 11:31:53 AM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
What complaints? I'll start work on GVH:EWv2 next year when cold demise has no(less) complaints.

A few, but the minority, are having the good old, "lag," thingy involving it. It was a small few though, but they went spectate when the map came up.

Quote from: "Cutman"
no(less) complaints.

Gvh

You mean never, right? ;)

December 01, 2009, 12:51:32 PM
Reply #17

Offline Captain Ventris

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 06, 2009, 01:31:38 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 12:51:32 PM »
The boat map needs... something more. Also, it lags pretty badly while on deck.

The Aeons map needs those candelabras removed - they're just pointless clutter which screws the flow of the map. Also, it's generally an ugly map. The texturing is obnoxious.

December 01, 2009, 01:18:28 PM
Reply #18

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 01:18:28 PM »
Quote from: "Captain Ventris"
The boat map needs... something more. Also, it lags pretty badly while on deck.

Arg! Any idea what it is? I thought it was the skybox at first but I replaced it with a large sector instead and apparently it's still lagging folk.

December 01, 2009, 01:19:23 PM
Reply #19

Offline Mobius

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »
There is no pleasing you nit-pickers :P I like Gvh30 as a ghoul and human.

I just say space it apart and get rid of a few of the candles so people don't get fps dips when a ghoul dies.

Well it doesn't lag as HORRIBLY as before when you added that thing in. I'd say the removal altogether made it run flawlessly in gl.

Edit* Oh yeah! Santa clause trips over his own grenade with he dies by his own Star Cannon.

And somehow Ghost Busters get hurt by Holly traps when Santa dies, but no other human class is effected.

December 01, 2009, 01:31:57 PM
Reply #20

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 01:31:57 PM »
Quote from: "Mobius"
Edit* Oh yeah! Santa clause trips over his own grenade with he dies by his own Star Cannon.

And somehow Ghost Busters get hurt by Holly traps when Santa dies, but no other human class is effected.

Double arggg! I can't fix the tripped over grenade thing because it replaces the only "You blew yourself up" obituary that exists. Ghostbuster needs a flag set to make him not be hurt by the holly. Actually if a Hunter dies while his ice spikes are up you'll probably notice the same thing.

December 01, 2009, 01:40:45 PM
Reply #21

Offline Mobius

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
I never really tried. I am surprised I didn't find out eventually considering how my Gvh server has been up since release with 9584395045858907 people playing it throughout its duration.

Even now..

That is how I am getting a lot of my feedback. I've been playing it for more than 12 hours (it's like the first time I see a consistently active Gvh server).

December 01, 2009, 02:20:35 PM
Reply #22

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »
Don't wear it out too much, I still haven't had a go yet!  ;)

December 01, 2009, 02:43:01 PM
Reply #23

Offline Captain Ventris

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »
Also, I believe that Sjas' scream can destroy the holly traps.

About the boat, I remember that one of Mik's ZDWars maps lagged like crazy until he removed the rain effect. I know that will dim the effect of the level, but that might be it, and it makes sense, since the level doesn't lag while inside. Mess with that, or find an alternative method of generating rain or something.

December 01, 2009, 04:34:56 PM
Reply #24

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
In that case does GVH26 lag too? That one also uses lots of rain.

December 01, 2009, 04:40:06 PM
Reply #25

Offline Captain Ventris

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
In that case does GVH26 lag too? That one also uses lots of rain.
You'll have to remind me of which map GvH26 is. XD

December 01, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
Reply #26

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »
I can't even remember if it's 26 now... Basically the one by DTD that kinda looks like a DM map.

December 01, 2009, 05:16:30 PM
Reply #27

Offline Major Cooke

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 20, 2009, 03:50:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »
After I heard Knux's map didn't get accepted, I looked at my map shamefully and thought... This definitely won't work either. I was going to send you the email, cutman, but sadly 1. the power went out, and 2. when I saw the release at an early hour, the design idea became putrid. I didn't want to burden you any further.

I was also struggling with a way to prevent the jitterskulls from flying over the edges of the iceburg, which in turn would make Sjas unable to fly around (and die in the mist from over-time damage), then as I tried to get a new idea in the barrel, to rework the map, but it didn't get done in time. I still have an hour's worth of work to be put into the new map, if you even care to still accept it.

Not to mention, thanksgiving was a nightmare... The whole damn family melted down.

Sorry for letting you down cutman. I'm not trying to make excuses for not turning it in, but if you are still willing to accept the map, I'll turn it in at some point... when the actual bit of the "jolly" mood removes this demotivated side of my creativity...

December 01, 2009, 06:07:28 PM
Reply #28

Offline ThaMarine

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 13, 2009, 09:13:47 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 06:07:28 PM »
Well, the "ship map" is okay, but when we talk performance the FPS is so low it turns GvH into a turn based game.

What is the Hollytrap supposed to do? I filled a corridor with 'em, a Creeper passed through and it didn't even hurt him.

Honestly, what is the purpose of the hollytraps?

What does the Star launcher do? It does more damage to the people who fire it than than to the one who is hit.

December 01, 2009, 06:17:23 PM
Reply #29

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
Well, i might as well post some map feedback i've collected.

GVH22 has some trouble with camping spots inside the graves, in particular the large one without the marine stabbed by the sword. Altrough the ghouls can approach from the teleporter, it still may be hard to impossible to counter them. Especially if the ENTIRE team likes to camp there, and the halls in the graveyard are somewhat small, too. The doors even more, its hard to fit a Jitterskull trough there, if i try to nab someone going trough, they fit in, i get stuck on door sides, ussally.

GVH23 does well so far, some like to camp in the room with the switch that can turn off the lights temporarely. Nothing impossible. Not sure what to think of GVH24 other then that the textures could have looked better. But i guess thats standard doom textures made blue. :P

As for GVH25, it could use some major tweaks. Perhaps more cover, but more importantly, more then one tunnel leading from one to the other section. Currently there's 3 big chunks of map connected in a row by tunnels, having 2 or 3 tunnels connect to each chunk of map would do in order to get past humans guarding one entrance and attacking them from behind. Some (especially Mobius) find the ceiling rather low for Sjas, too. And it could perhaps use more cover, in some spots, to not get sniped by a marine/hunter on the other side of the map, atleast.

And GVH26, last time i seen a game, humans dominated. Atleast they're running around more instead of using said camping spot, its alot better now.
As for GVh27, i think you kinda ruined it by completely removing all cover near the pointy end of the ship. Ghouls will heavily reduced in numbers just trying to get there, especially if the entire human team camps there. Perhaps add where that small gap with the fire barrel is a larger gap, with a ladder, containing some cargo? A bit of cover for those who go down, perhaps. Or add more boxes, it can hardly be Jitterrape if you added less then originally where.

I cant think of any feedback for GVH28 other then that some people are reporting that there are a few HOM's left. GVH29 is pretty interesting at large scale games, but marines with accurate shots will destroy any ghoul rather easily. Cyborgs can jump onto the... higher bars that connect the poles around the giant laser shooting pillar, and actually stand on it, standing out of Jitter's reach by being on this bridge thing. Oh well, if your faced against projectile classes and are good at dodging, it might be more fair then meets the eye. Cant think of any feedback at all for GVH30, its... normal.

Oh, and in GVH25, there's also a weird HOM effect Mobius found, i made a screenshot of it since he has trouble doing so. :P

I'm merely guessing some of the map feedback is a tad... repetetive. :P
When it comes to classes, many find Frostbite rather weak, a buff would be of use. And seems Santa's star launcher is rather effective if you use it close range, it may be a bit cruel on the ghouls, but they didnt get me that often with that trick. Hmm... Unless it damages the user now too. :P

Edit: The ship map doesnt seem to lag me. And the new sea is much better too. I only get lag when frostbite uses his breath in that certain location, did you fix that yet?