Advanced Search

Author Topic: Fanmade robot masters  (Read 316618 times)

February 26, 2015, 06:49:09 PM
Reply #1305

Offline BookofDobson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 05, 2014, 11:04:24 PM

• View Profile
Re: Fanmade robot masters
« Reply #1305 on: February 26, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »
Made this a year ago

(click to show/hide)

March 16, 2015, 08:51:52 PM
Reply #1306

Offline DoomManFTW

• Standard Member

• I forgot I existed.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2015, 04:46:08 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: March 16, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »
Of course that would be my name,and yes,its supposed to be doomguy in robot master form.I was gonna make a pixelated art for it but i dont really have an image >_<

April 11, 2015, 02:51:46 PM
Reply #1307

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #1307 on: April 11, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »

Fifth one, not that I'm gonna make a game I just find it fun (Boner, Photon, Gauntlet and Illusion are the others, they're all on this topic I think)

May 14, 2015, 08:33:00 PM
Reply #1308

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #1308 on: May 14, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
I know nobody even looks at this topic any more but I made enough for a game

And here's all of them alongside improvements they got from the first time I showed them
originals left, updates right
if you can't tell the difference then I did a good job
and yeah Boulder Man used to be someone completely different

(click to show/hide)
Photon and Gauntlet were the only robots that ever actually got commented on... So if people wanna give me some feedback that would be like the most swell thing in the world

May 14, 2015, 11:17:43 PM
Reply #1309

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 14, 2015, 11:17:43 PM »
Too many colors on most of them.

The NES has 4 palettes for sprites, each with 3 colors and one of those three is pretty much always black.  Yes, on all 4 palettes.  And two of those 4 can't be changed because mega man uses them.  And you have to also make any attack animations they have also fit into this limitation.

So here's what you have for palettes:
#1 = (unusable - changes with mega's weapons)
#2 = white, peach, black
#3 = A, B, black
#4 = C, D, black

On top of all of this you have limitation of 8 sprites per scanline (including any attacks flying around, of which mega can easily eat up to 4-5 when spamming uncharged shots) which severely limit the use of multiple overlapping sprites to create more colors.  Generally you want to use one main palette for the RM and limit other colors to a highlighted area or two, or projectiles/shields/whatever.  Not paying attention to this would produce screen flicker and slowdown.

Your mugshots ALSO have to work with these limitations, though you can make use of 4 background palettes each with 3 colors... but also remember the rest of the screen and any selection indicators will eat into this limit as well.  Generally this means your RMs need to have some common colors, and the amount you're using for shading purposes is just not workable.

May 15, 2015, 08:37:38 PM
Reply #1310

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #1310 on: May 15, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »
Yeah, I know (mostly) about NES Palettes but having it pretty much cleared up like that is awesome and cool, I'm kind of curious if MM9 and 10 follow those limitations (I know 9 had a sprite flicker toggle haha) because those were the types of things I was using as basis mostly
I didn't realise it only had four! Ouch

Plus when I selected the fan game format over say, a ROM hack I elected to break the limits a bit for nicer visuals, as long as it's not too outrageously coloured. Otherwise, well...

Ew.

In other news I spent all of today doing some stage select thingy, the mugshots aren't any different sorry NemZ but yeah, it's not really MM style either
(click to show/hide)

May 16, 2015, 01:58:26 AM
Reply #1311

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 16, 2015, 01:58:26 AM »
Nothing to be sorry about.  You asked for feedback so I gave it, do with that whatever you like.

June 02, 2015, 12:54:53 PM
Reply #1312

Offline Maxxor501

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 20, 2015, 01:40:51 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 02, 2015, 12:54:53 PM »
I have a couple of robot masters I'd like to show. I've actually already sprited them, and with my scanner not working with my computer and all my detailed concept art for them being on paper, the sprites will have to do.

Furnace Man; My first robot master I've ever designed. Fireballs and flamethrowers galore! Used to keep boilers running in a foundry in Moscow. (Also, I always imagined he'd sound like a Mancubus if those could actually talk)

Lead Man; His body is made of lead and can shoot blocks of lead you could also use as platforms. Works in a nuclear waste treatment plant. (Not a lot of people use the Bright Man body type nowadays as far as I can tell.)

Homing Man; Shoots homing missiles. Is a forefront in anti-artillery defense. (The hands were a nightmare to make.)

Tundra Woman; Makes a frost forcefield. Used to keep icecaps from melting during summer in the South Pole. (No idea which sprite I should have posted; The old or new, respectively.)

Laser Man; Shoots lasers. Pew pew! Currently resides at a high tech research facility that focuses primarily on the use of lasers.

Sprint Man; Runs can run incredibly fast. Used as a messenger for importantly land deliveries.

Storm Man; Capable of influencing the weather to change drastically; used primarily for rainstorms in order to prevent droughts. (I was going to use this one for a lil project, but someone beat me to the punch of using him in a fangame [I think] so the oppurtunity feels fruitless.)

I actually kinda want to make a fan game using these guys, but I don't know the first thing about coding in flash or lua or java or whatever. Plus, I'm not too good at level design and stuff. I just thought it'd be fun to post these since I probably won't use them any further than probably making some 8bdm skins for them.

Maybe the fangame will be a mod for 8bdm. That could be interesting, right? I mean, there's a missions mod for 8dbm that's pretty popular, maybe I can do the same for the fan game I'm thinking of. I'll probably make a topic going deeper into the concept I'm thinking of, but no promises.