Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Map Pack] SHARP (Version 3b - Hotfix)  (Read 57388 times)

June 07, 2011, 04:19:26 AM
Read 57388 times

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
[Map Pack] SHARP (Version 3b - Hotfix)
« on: June 07, 2011, 04:19:26 AM »
Welcome! This is my thread for the map pack SHARP: a collection of my maps with edited maps from the old map pack, Vortale's Roboenza Pack.

This pack currently contains a total of 20 maps; 15 maps by yours truly, along with 5 of Vortale's maps, refitted for DM.
SHARPv3b replaces 1 map and includes content introduced in MM8BDMv4a.

Maps included:
(click to show/hide)
Screenshots + Map Descriptions:
(click to show/hide)
Music Codes/Credits:
(click to show/hide)
Download:
SHARPv3b-https://www.mediafire.com/?as74r8a3tm5cjd1

Changelog:
(click to show/hide)
Old Downloads:
SHARPv3a: https://www.mediafire.com/?wm5qik75a3mmma8
SHARPv2a: http://www.mediafire.com/?49w540ld62z4ae9
SHARPv1: http://www.mediafire.com/?t65ubgv6x7a78yn

June 07, 2011, 04:39:39 AM
Reply #1

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
Re: Shade's Cave Of...Mapping...Stuff.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:39:39 AM »
By the impression of the 1st screen, it looks a little clustered. Try to give people breathin' space.  ;)

June 10, 2011, 05:15:06 PM
Reply #2

Offline lol

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 28, 2011, 11:55:45 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/christheawesome2423
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Downloaded it and played on it for a while. This map is really nice, but like Savior said, there are some corridors (especially in the picture with the Darkman bot) where it's really narrow. It seem as if you kinda scrunched everything together, as if you had a limit on how big it should be. However, weapon placement is nice. I like how you put Tango and Star Crash in places where it is most likely that players will fall to their doom. Overall, it's a good map.  :)

June 11, 2011, 02:30:52 AM
Reply #3

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:30:52 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I don't think I had a size limit, I just have a poor sense of scale. I'll widen the corridors more when I work on it next.

June 12, 2011, 01:13:33 AM
Reply #4

Offline Muzaru

• Bugs/Suggestions Managers
  • Date Registered: November 27, 2010, 05:55:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:13:33 AM »
I liked it, seems like a good duel/2v2/5 person ffa map.
The only part I thought was small was the room with the Bass buster.

June 13, 2011, 01:33:55 AM
Reply #5

Offline Darkseed

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 20, 2011, 01:18:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:33:55 AM »
This is a very nice map! if you fixed the problems They've told you, i would be asking you if i could put it in Me and Roc's Map Pack! (name not known)

June 17, 2011, 08:14:57 AM
Reply #6

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »
Okay, question to people who have tried playing this map. In the middle area with pits where the windows are, there's that platform in the corner (I believe that was where I placed Pharaoh Shot) that can only be reached by item 1 or simply hopping on the edge of the window and walking to it. Should I place some block everything linedefs to the window ledge to make it so it is only reachable by item 1, or keep it the way it is?

June 17, 2011, 01:15:30 PM
Reply #7

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
Keep it the way it is.

v1b Pharaoh Shot, I miss you.

June 22, 2011, 10:14:51 AM
Reply #8

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: Shade's Cave Of...Mapping...Stuff. [Drain Fortress V2]
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
Update time! I made corridors bigger and other things I thought were somewhat important. Also added some MM7 weapons and textures.

July 15, 2011, 01:26:31 AM
Reply #9

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:26:31 AM »
Okay, minor progress bump. I have been working on a map based on MM1DW2 recently, and it has confused the hell out of me. First of all, one of the shafts where you hop out of the water doesn't seem to like my low-gravity coding, even though every other shaft works fine. I've made a quick fix to that, but still...It's annoying.

Secondly, I want to know how the original Wily2 works at all. I looked at the script editor for that map...It's empty. Yet, there are underwater segments and everything.

July 15, 2011, 03:10:38 AM
Reply #10

Offline Vortale

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 02, 2010, 03:04:46 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 03:10:38 AM »
I'm taking an epically wild guess since I'm not sure on how this works myself.
But MM1DW2 is in the same campaign as MM1ICE, and the entrances to the water shafts in MM1DW2 share the same tag as the outside water patch of MM1ICE. I don't know if it's using Iceman's script in a different level, but if it is, it would make sense.

I'm probably wrong though. Very wrong lol

Anyway I think I was supposed to comment on your map and I forgot. I quite enjoy it, though I have a few personal bugs.
One is the pink jumping room with nasty holes. To me, it feels really uncomfy, because I feel it's going to be very difficult to get out and the main reason are the holes between each step. I can't advance, or knock back could throw me into a hole. And except for Air Shooter, I don't see myself going in for anything worthwhile. There are needles outside that seem not too difficult to get. I actually preferred the previous version, when the ground was much higher.
Also, are you supposed to use the window sill to get to the Pharaoh Shot? I was constantly trying to get Item-1 to get there until I noticed it.
There's that tiny gap between two platforms at the end of the waterfall. Though it's difficult to fall into it unless you kind of do it deliberately, I don't think that small gap should be there, since I can just walk over them and I'd only fall straight in it by one fluke of an accident. Makes the room feel a little less deadly as well.
Although it's not an actual issue, you have many walls that are sectors with the ceiling brought to the top. You can just delete those, though it's not important. Just something I noticed while looking at the automap.

But these are personal gripes! I do quite like this map. Many folk may still think it's a bit claustrophobic at points, but it has improved since the previous version. Keep at it man, good luck with your next endeavour!

July 15, 2011, 10:41:17 AM
Reply #11

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
Hm...I'll try and make that pink area a bit less dangerous. The main reason I lowered the area was that I wanted that area's purpose to be 'come in here and get some good stuff, but you might die trying'. I guess that I've failed to provide enough reward for that level of risk. Would you be able to suggest any weapons/items to make going there more worthwhile?

Also, I lowered that area because at the height the platforms were, you could simply jump to the Pharaoh Shot platform instead of Item 1'ing or taking the windowsill path (yes that was intentional; might change it, though).
Quote from: "Vortal"
You have many walls that are sectors with the ceiling brought to the top.
Eheheheh...Yeah, I made this map when I was a bit new to DB2. I've learned not to do that now.

With the tiny gap, do you mean the gap between the passage from the Shade Man-esque room and the waterfall area? Or do you mean in the lower half of that area?

Anyway, thanks for those comments and I'll try to work on things you've pointed out.

July 15, 2011, 02:56:48 PM
Reply #12

Offline Vortale

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 02, 2010, 03:04:46 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »
When it comes to weapon choices, people will probably tell you I'm one of the worst for choosing weapons lol
However, I feel this room - and some of the evil pitfalls in this map - could be saved with a Beat Call. That way if I do fall to an epic death, I'll at least get one extra chance to get out. At this moment, the map doesn't accommodate Beat, as the pits are just labelled instant death. You could probably borrow some code from Gyroman's stage and apply it to the death sectors.
As for weapons, I'd say keep Air Shooter, but that's because I personally like it lol
The thing is with this room is that if you're caught it's difficult to get out, but if no-one has noticed you in there it's easy to get out. Perhaps have an Eddie in the centre; have fate decide if it was worth going in the hole. You can keep the Air Shooter and Bass/Metal Blade down there if there's a Beat somewhere on the map. If you don't want to go for Beat, perhaps Skull Barrier could also do the job. With something like this it's best to experiment to see what would be worthwhile, because what's worthwhile to some won't be for others. Some people love Bass for instance, I don't. But EVERYONE loves a Top Spin!

I'm referring to the lower half of the waterfall. The tiny gap in the upper portion is easily missed. If you come from the upper portion into the lower, especially in Software Mode, it's difficult to see what's down there. I expected water first time. Thankfully I landed on a platform, but came a few pixels from falling in the small gap. If there was no gap I wouldn't feel as if I was taking any risk falling down, and that would help keep a nice flow with the rest of the level as I could fall down, not worry about a possible death, then run into the next rooms. You're free to keep the room as a giant pit with a few platforms of course, this is merely a minor gripe.

Remember, as creator of a map you can always say "No, I disagree and I'm keeping it that way."

August 04, 2011, 12:01:43 PM
Reply #13

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »
Update time! Yeah...At the moment I've stopped work on the MM1DW2-esque map due to lack of interest. But instead, I give to you Frozen Fantasy, a snowy map with some rather...Unique...Platforms. As usual, I've just dropped weapons and items in spots I thought were good, so please tell me anything wrong with the layouts. Link is in the first post.

I did some things to Drain Fortress, so I'll have to update that sometime.

August 04, 2011, 06:35:37 PM
Reply #14

Offline lol

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 28, 2011, 11:55:45 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/christheawesome2423
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »
Sorry if my choice of words aren't the best.
It's a nice looking map. For one thing, the rise-fall platforms. I like how some are placed to possibly trap you, if you don't have any items. The weapons placement is great, esp. on the rise-fall platforms. Though, in the little alcoves, maybe you can put one weapon there, or an item like Rush Coil. Overall, I love it. Though in my own opinion, where Eddie is, maybe you can move it along to the side on that narrow walkway, but it's just my suggestion. Also, I don't know, but:

(click to show/hide)