Advanced Search

Author Topic: Cutstuff Sanctuary  (Read 124700 times)

June 22, 2016, 07:54:06 AM
Reply #330

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
Chris Benoit
« Reply #330 on: June 22, 2016, 07:54:06 AM »
Yeah, I'd agree that imitating broken English is almost never out of tribute, especially if the person writing broken English finds it to be a flaw. There really wasn't any good reason to post that, but I assume Red has just presented himself as one of the people you can directly talk to about an issue you might have with people mocking you for broken English.
I still feel like there are a couple of people on the forum who like to take potshots at me whenever they can, but since I'm never very involved in the forum, I just avoid making a big deal about it. Conflict is inevitable, and so far this generation is struggling to confront it in a productive and honest manner. I get a feeling Shina's post was an attempt to undermine the issue being discussed, but that's never helpful for resolving any issues. Trying to sweep things under the rug only helps in the short-term, but leads to strained relations in the long-term. Good to see Stonefunk and others at least airing out their grievances.

June 22, 2016, 02:49:47 PM
Reply #331

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
Re: Cutstuff Sanctuary
« Reply #331 on: June 22, 2016, 02:49:47 PM »
"oooh, we joked about you but it's to be funnyyyyyy, loooool"

things like this and "but it's out of love" drive me crazy 'cuz it's always a shoddy coverup they just made up-- the same kind of people look at you like you've got three heads if you try to speak and think your existence is a funny joke

June 22, 2016, 06:08:46 PM
Reply #332

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
I'm 10% sober.
« Reply #332 on: June 22, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »
Sorry for not quoting but I'm hoping the point gets across anyways

I only really wanted to tell you stonefunk that there was no ill intent there. Even if you feel like you are being mocked or being made out as a fool, that's not always the case, isn't it? Not everything is an attack, dude. Sorry if I sent you negative vibes or some shit.

edit because I just saw ceridran s post
I can assure you it's not a shitty cover up nor anything because if I just wanted to make fun of you and shit over you, I'd just do it and not really tell you in a forum nor anything. And that's clearly not my intention.

August 08, 2016, 05:02:10 AM
Reply #333

Offline Jman

• Standard Member

• ( ͡° ͜&#
  • Date Registered: June 28, 2011, 02:09:25 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 08, 2016, 05:02:10 AM »
It's that time of the year again where my stress levels shoot through the roof. I really need some input on this. This might turn into a bit of a sob story, but I'll do what I can to keep the QQ to a minimum.

I've been feeling down lately. Not mildly depressed or anxious, but down in the dumps. Damn near rock bottom. I entered college three years ago feeling determined, optimistic, full of drive, and did pretty alright my first semester. Then I started failing classes - and it just got worse and worse from there. My gpa took a sharp curve downward halfway through my sophomore year. It got to the point where I lost major scholarships, nearly had my loans and grants cut, and had to change my major from CS to IT. This coming semester is pretty much my last chance. The reason I took a "break" earlier this year was to go cold turkey on games so I could focus on school. Games weren't the problem, though, as I found out. The real problem is that I'm just a terrible college student.

Those of you who have struggled with this before and won this battle, or never had trouble with it at all: please, what do I do? How do I get over this slump of thinking that I've worked hard only to find out that I've not even scratched the surface of what's called effort? How do I go from failing nearly all of my classes to making straight A's? Why am I asking YOU all of these questions?
Mermaid Man, where are you?!?

August 08, 2016, 05:25:12 AM
Reply #334

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #334 on: August 08, 2016, 05:25:12 AM »
Those of you who have struggled with this before and won this battle, or never had trouble with it at all: please, what do I do? How do I get over this slump of thinking that I've worked hard only to find out that I've not even scratched the surface of what's called effort? How do I go from failing nearly all of my classes to making straight A's? Why am I asking YOU all of these questions?
Mermaid Man, where are you?!?

No freaking clue. I started studying for a B.Sc. in CS and just dropped out after 2-3 semesters, because of things similar to what you described.

So I did something like (I live in Germany, things are kind of different here) an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apprenticeship as a programmer instead (which I recently finished, yay!).

I already had a diploma that was roughly associate's degree level, though.

EDIT: I guess not having any loans and such helped. A semester cost like, what, $200 where I studied?

August 08, 2016, 05:28:46 AM
Reply #335

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 08, 2016, 05:28:46 AM »
While I may not have any real solution to these concerns, I recommend turning to people at your college. Ask an advisor what you should do, find counseling.

I'm sorry if that seems really basic and straight, and may even be something you've already tried. I'm just not sure how else I can help you in this state.
My only remaining recommendation is to just quit school or finish what you can, take the winnings, and leave. Find work and build a life. Try again when you find yourself able to.

Life sucks sometimes and the best I can tell you is to bear with it and go with the grain.
I wish you the best of luck.

August 08, 2016, 07:59:26 AM
Reply #336

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 08, 2016, 07:59:26 AM »
While more difficult, it is possible to get a well-paying job and stuff without schooling. With how far you've come though, I recommend not taking that route. I think the worst time of my life was right after I made the decision to not continue college because the idea of crippling debt scared the living shit out of me. I felt terrible for the next year and I was full of regret. It took a lot of willpower to get myself back on my feet.

The fact of the matter is though unless you're happy, nothing is going to feel like it's worth it. Focus on yourself before anything else. Get help, talk to someone like a therapist. I've been through multiple. It may not feel like it helps the first few times but it's something you have to force yourself to get into the habit of doing, much like joining a gym and working out. If you ever need some heavy venting shoot me a message, I've got a lot of time to listen.

September 26, 2016, 10:31:21 PM
Reply #337

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
I have flashbacks. But they aren't flashbacks of horrible, cruel events. They're flashbacks of embarrassing events. Even though they had no lasting effect, my subconcious treats them like they were the death of a family member.

And yet, when my grandfather died 8 years ago, I didn't mourn. At his funeral, I was just bored. I still don't feel any sadness. I was sadder when (spoiler) died in Star Wars Episode 7.

Something's really wrong with me.

September 27, 2016, 04:24:06 AM
Reply #338

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2016, 04:24:06 AM »
Did you have any real connection or closeness to your grandfather?

September 27, 2016, 04:34:05 AM
Reply #339

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yeah call us, we'll be drunk!
  • Date Registered: November 23, 2011, 03:40:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 27, 2016, 04:34:05 AM »
I have flashbacks. But they aren't flashbacks of horrible, cruel events. They're flashbacks of embarrassing events. Even though they had no lasting effect, my subconcious treats them like they were the death of a family member.

And yet, when my grandfather died 8 years ago, I didn't mourn. At his funeral, I was just bored. I still don't feel any sadness. I was sadder when (spoiler) died in Star Wars Episode 7.

Something's really wrong with me.

I lost my grandfather 9 years ago, I too did not feel any sort of sadness. I didn't realize how much it would've become important to me later in life when I felt left out during "bring your grandparents to school" days when I was in elementary school 7-8 years ago.

September 27, 2016, 07:56:35 AM
Reply #340

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2016, 07:56:35 AM »
Did you have any real connection or closeness to your grandfather?
Yes. I often visited him when I was young. One thing I vividly remember about him was that his last name* was the same as Spongebob's in Iceland(Svampur Sveinson) as weird as it sounds.

*Icelanders don't have last names

October 01, 2016, 02:07:30 PM
Reply #341

Offline BlastDaSky

• Standard Member

• sup
  • Date Registered: September 29, 2016, 05:40:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 01, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »
I never met my grandfather

October 26, 2016, 01:05:08 AM
Reply #342

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 26, 2016, 01:05:08 AM »
(click to show/hide)

October 26, 2016, 04:19:20 AM
Reply #343

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!
  • Date Registered: November 05, 2011, 12:47:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 26, 2016, 04:19:20 AM »
@ Myroc (don't read if you don't like existential crisis/fears)

(click to show/hide)

my writing skills have really gone down the drain, huh.

October 27, 2016, 09:54:54 AM
Reply #344

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2016, 09:54:54 AM »
pip

(click to show/hide)