Advanced Search

Author Topic: Protectors of Robot Kingdom [registration thread]  (Read 15114 times)

August 23, 2015, 09:07:21 PM
Read 15114 times

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
Protectors of Robot Kingdom [registration thread]
« on: August 23, 2015, 09:07:21 PM »
The year is 20XX, in the middle of a robotic renaissance. Staggering advances in artificial intelligence and bionic augmentation have led to the development and widespread distribution of a new wave of cutting-edge androids. Known collectively as the Mechanized Masters, these chrome champions lead miniature armies of lesser drones in a variety of tasks, from agriculture to construction to national defense. The men responsible for this revolution? None other than the foremost leader of humanoid robotics, Dr. Thomas Light, and the forefather of the Variable Commands Grid, Dr. Albert Strider.

To keep both humans and robots distracted and entertained, a new sport has emerged alongside the new era. Broadcast around the world, hundreds of thousands of eager viewers tune in each week for another exciting installment of Arena Masters. Whether as a career or simply for sport, Mechanized Masters equip themselves with weapons and armor, then duke it out for their claim to fame.

With aggression kept to a minimum thanks to the Arena Masters program, it seems the world is at a peaceful standstill, humans and robots working in harmony towards a better future for all. Or so it would seem...

This is Protectors of Robot Kingdom, a post-by-post RPG featuring game mechanics from Heroes and Morons. It's basically a tech demo. Cool.

But what is it, anyway? Essentially, PoRK is set in a Mega-Man-esque alternate universe, with augmented humans alongside straight-up robots. The game flow is similar to Cutstuff Adventure 2, in that players alternate between exploration or role-playing scenes and turn-based battle scenes. There are a few... differences between CSA2 and PoRK as far as gameplay is concerned, but that's not really super important right now. Just know that the game is more focused around combining different attacks together, and editing your character's loadout to perform better in battle.

The main mechanic of the game is the spending and budgeting of Combat Energy, or CE. Every ability in the game, except for consumable items, costs CE. Fighters automatically regenerate CE between turns, keeping a steady flow of energy; however, spending all your CE in one turn will leave you mostly dried up for later turns. Deciding whether to hold back or to unleash your entire arsenal is one of the game's biggest points.

Fighters can be one of six elemental types (Fire, Aqua, Bolt, Wood, Tera, or Void), although not all fighters are aligned with an element. In addition, attacks may have one of four physical classifications (Slash, Break, Scope, or Throw) based on its properties. Certain fighters take extra weakness damage from certain types of attacks; while the party can take advantage of weak points, keep in mind that enemies may do so as well.

Finally, the party will contain three "active" fighters at any given moment, with an optional fourth fighter as "support". The support character can't be targeted directly by the enemy party, though they can still attack or use items (albeit at limited capability). Due to the focus on smaller, faster battles, I'm anticipating a maximum player count of 8. I feel that the lower head count will help with balancing the game, as well as ensuring that every character is distinct in playstyle and abilities.

Now for the fun part.

For this game, there is no list of predetermined characters or job classes or anything. Instead, you will be submitting two characters (a desired main, and a runner-up option) based on Robot Masters from the classic series. Keep in mind that they don't have to literally be those Robot Masters; actually, I'd prefer if you used a bit of imagination. Due to the nature of the game, you're free to interpret and re-imagine your choices in any way you so desire. Think of it kind of like Battle Network's NetNavi designs compared to their classic series counterparts... except that in PoRK they're still robots. And not really computer programs. ... You get the idea.

[Character Name] (The name for your character! Don't just call him Wave Man or whatever.)
Based On: (Who your character is based on. This is where you'd put "Wave Man" or whatever.)
Battle Style: (This could either be the type of attacks your character uses, like daggers or wrestling, or it could be how they play in-game, such as heavy offense or inflicting status ailments.)
Appearance: (Optional, though if you don't put one then I'll probably make one up for you. Y'know, role-playing and all that.)
Personality: (Also optional. Just give me an idea of how the character thinks or acts.)

Just in case you don't get the idea, here are a few examples:
(click to show/hide)

Of course, there are a few rules, but don't let that get in the way of having a good time. They're mainly there to preserve my sanity.

Go nuts! ... Just not too nuts.
    While it's fine to do something unconventional or flat-out strange, please don't ask for a character that has a move that changes his stats and also completely changes all of his other moves. Having moves change properties or elements or something is fine, I already have a design around that gimmick, but totally flipping the entire game on its head is a big no. If you're not sure, it's best to remain on the reasonable side of things.
    Don't get super specific with moves.
    I cannot stress this enough. Because I'm handling all of the movesets and everything, please don't come to me saying "Sword Paladin needs to have a Justice Slash attack that has a high burn chance". It's fine asking for Sword Paladin to have a move called Justice Slash, or to have a sword attack that's Fire element, but keep requests low and keep them simplistic.
    You can't choose Mega Man, Bass, or Roll.
    I'm pretty lax when it comes to characters. I'm fine with concepts inspired by Stardroids, or Rockman & Forte 2 RMs, or even those constellation weirdos from that one Mega Man strategy game. However, I do have a couple pre-existing characters on hand (mainly for story reasons), and because of that, I can't have two copies of what is essentially the same base character. Sorry guys.
    Have some level of commitment.
    This should go without saying, but (despite being a shameless tech demo) PoRK will hopefully last a little while. Don't sign up if you're not in for the long haul! Also, I'm hoping to update the game at least once a day, so for that reason the autocommand time limit is 24 hours. If you can't at least glance at the thread and make a quick post every now and then, don't sign up. Hopefully this won't be too much of an issue for anyone.
    Don't get salty.
    Signups are in the style of Cutstuff Adventure 2, where a bunch of dudes show up and then I hand-pick players for the final party. I'll be prioritizing players based on their concepts, availability, and party balance (won't do much good to have four physical tanks in an 8-man squad). There will also be slight priority given to players not currently enrolled in CSA2, though this doesn't mean you can't get in if you're in CSA2. Generally speaking though, if you don't get in, don't take it personally. I probably didn't mean it.
    Most importantly, have fun!
    Even if you don't get in, I might end up using your concept anyway as an NPC character somewhere in the game. The whole point of the game is to have fun, so come in with a good attitude and I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Cool? Cool. Let's get this PoRK on the grill already.

Registered Players (green indicates the final roster):
(click to show/hide)
DEADLINE IS AUGUST 27

August 23, 2015, 09:38:55 PM
Reply #1

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
Re: Protectors of Robot Kingdom [registration thread]
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »
1:
(click to show/hide)

2:
(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 09:40:47 PM
Reply #2

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
LET'S GET TO THE POINT
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:47 PM »
did somebody say stupid characters

Primary pick
(click to show/hide)

Salty pick
(click to show/hide)

I still don't understand this naming scheme

August 23, 2015, 10:07:54 PM
Reply #3

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:07:54 PM »
Oh man let's go nuts.

Here's the primary pick.
(click to show/hide)

And in the event someone likes Dive Man more than I do, I've got this.
(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 10:17:02 PM
Reply #4

Offline Jatea

• Enthusiast

• same
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 02:32:48 AM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1339
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 10:17:02 PM »
I don't even play megaman !o!

Primary Choice
(click to show/hide)

Alternate Choice
(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 10:18:22 PM
Reply #5

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:18:22 PM »
Preferred Pick
(click to show/hide)

"Salty" Pick
(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 10:28:38 PM
Reply #6

Offline Galactan

• Enthusiast

• Excellence in Explosives
  • Date Registered: August 30, 2012, 04:24:46 AM

• View Profile
    • https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nvpvjnhtEK1uzrbyf.mp4#_=_
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:28:38 PM »
Primary pick:
(click to show/hide)

Secondary pick:
(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 10:51:46 PM
Reply #7

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
hi mom i can play a forum game for once
wow

So this was my secondary pick, but then I liked it more than my other one. So now it's my first.
(click to show/hide)

The Sexy Pick even though he is secondary.
Sexcondary.
(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 10:56:21 PM
Reply #8

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
HAM and PORK
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 10:56:21 PM »
I have a pathological need for stupid names.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 10:57:22 PM
Reply #9

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
Woop one of these is considerably shorter than the other.
Last post on front page too.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: Valiant Bushido is bad.
(click to show/hide)

Unused pick:
(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 11:47:44 PM
Reply #10

Offline Jennifer

• Standard Member

• *Flaps arms*
  • Date Registered: October 31, 2010, 03:59:53 PM

• View Profile
Hey, nobody said I couldn't so...
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 11:47:44 PM »
Hey this looks interesting, let's give it a whirl.

Primary Option.
(click to show/hide)

Secondary Option.
(click to show/hide)

August 23, 2015, 11:58:20 PM
Reply #11

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »
Primary
(click to show/hide)

Salty Runback
(click to show/hide)

August 24, 2015, 01:22:49 AM
Reply #12

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
ack
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 01:22:49 AM »
hi i'm the anti rp man
i've abandoned all i stand for

primary
(click to show/hide)
secondary
(click to show/hide)

August 24, 2015, 01:24:19 AM
Reply #13

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 01:24:19 AM »
Sure whatever

First Choice:
(click to show/hide)

Second Choice:
(click to show/hide)

August 24, 2015, 01:45:16 AM
Reply #14

Offline Spiderpig2398

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 24, 2015, 10:19:52 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 01:45:16 AM »
Oh boy, being dead forumwise for a while and then living again sure is weird. Let's try doing the thing here to stay focused.

Primary:
(click to show/hide)

Salt Powered Robot Option:
(click to show/hide)