Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ultimate RPG help  (Read 5465 times)

February 23, 2012, 12:48:53 AM
Reply #15

Offline MLDKF

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 04, 2010, 03:08:56 PM

• View Profile
Re: Ultimate RPG help
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 12:48:53 AM »
Quote from: "PressStart"
Gotta start somewhere! At the very least, maybe there's an already existing picture or piece of art that kind of conveys a similar idea for what you wanna do (like if I wanted to make a game where you play as dinosaurs, I'd post a shot from Jurassic Park).

Well...that's where the challenge comes in. Basically, it's a bunch of characters from a bunch of different franchises I like coming together to try and save the world through typical RPG fashion

Quote from: "Epic Kirby"
I'm curious, how do you plan to make a game when you lack sprites, and a program that you can actually make the game with.
Ideas are great and all, but you should at least get your program so it would be easier to give advice and such.

Well PressStart sent me a program. For sprites, there are some I can get from other sites considering what it is I'm doing the RPG based off of, but for everything else, I'd need a spriter for.

February 23, 2012, 12:54:33 AM
Reply #16

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 12:54:33 AM »
Quote from: "MLDKF"
Quote from: "PressStart"
Gotta start somewhere! At the very least, maybe there's an already existing picture or piece of art that kind of conveys a similar idea for what you wanna do (like if I wanted to make a game where you play as dinosaurs, I'd post a shot from Jurassic Park).

Well...that's where the challenge comes in. Basically, it's a bunch of characters from a bunch of different franchises I like coming together to try and save the world through typical RPG fashion

I'm curious, how do you plan to make a game when you lack sprites, and a program that you can actually make the game with.
Ideas are great and all, but you should at least get your program so it would be easier to give advice and such.

Well PressStart sent me a program. For sprites, there are some I can get from other sites considering what it is I'm doing the RPG based off of, but for everything else, I'd need a spriter for.

Ok, I see what you're trying to do. And if you want to make a game using a lot of different game characters. DON'T TAKE SPRITES FROM THEIR GAMES! Let's say I need a Mario sprite. So I take Mario from Mario and Luigi. And I also need a Link one. The Link sprite will not match the style of the Mario one. And the game will look kinda ugly. So you need to stick to one style, which means you're going to have to make a crap ton of sprites.

February 23, 2012, 01:03:41 AM
Reply #17

Offline MLDKF

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »
Ok, I see what you're trying to do. And if you want to make a game using a lot of different game characters. DON'T TAKE SPRITES FROM THEIR GAMES! Let's say I need a Mario sprite. So I take Mario from Mario and Luigi. And I also need a Link one. The Link sprite will not match the style of the Mario one. And the game will look kinda ugly. So you need to stick to one style, which means you're going to have to make a crap ton of sprites.

Oh I know that. I'm planning on making it 16-bit since I know one site that does have a good ammount of 16-bit sprites I need (since it does some Final Fantasy spriting, which I'll need those.) It has a Pikachu and Link Sprite set as well. But there's gonna be some I'll have trouble with, such as most of the villains, Mega Man, Samus Aran, etc. The villains will especially be tough since I'll need a much larger sprite. Like for Ridley. I'll need a sprite for him in there as a boss. Hence why I need Spriters.

February 23, 2012, 10:28:58 PM
Reply #18

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:58 PM »
Why is Mega Man a bad guy?

February 23, 2012, 10:37:21 PM
Reply #19

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »
Quote from: "Star Dood"
... most of the villains, Mega Man, Samus Aran, etc. ...

Mega Man isn't a villain. He's just going to be tough to find sprites for, apparently.

February 23, 2012, 10:46:08 PM
Reply #20

Offline MLDKF

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »
Quote from: "xColdxFusionx"
Quote from: "Star Dood"
... most of the villains, Mega Man, Samus Aran, etc. ...

Mega Man isn't a villain. He's just going to be tough to find sprites for, apparently.

Thank you for clearing that up Cold. But yeah, finding sprites for Mega Man's gonna be tough. I think that I can get his easily from another site full of Mega Man sprites and maybe it's sister site for the Simon Belmont Sprites, but everything else'll be tough.