Advanced Search

Author Topic: [BUG] Splitting weapons occasionally hit more than once  (Read 2384 times)

March 01, 2015, 02:59:06 AM
Read 2384 times

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
[BUG] Splitting weapons occasionally hit more than once
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:59:06 AM »
You know the deal.
The class of weapons composed of Thunder Bolt, Freeze Cracker, and Dust Crusher can occasionally hit twice or more, dealing more damage than initially intended.

This particular issue will require a bunch of experimentation, but my current plan is to spawn a special version of the projectile if the initial shot hits a player. This version of the projectile is partially transparent and has the THRUACTORS flag. After a delay of approximately 46/speed of the projectile [distance of the hypotenuse of the player's x/y hitbox divided by the speed of the projectile.]
The transparent deal is to make it more clear that the projectile is there, but won't deal damage.

If the initial projectile does not hit a player, the split projectiles do not have THRUACTORS and are fully opaque.

I suggest using THRUACTORS over NOCLIP because that will allow the projectile to not clip over walls which projectiles of that type seem to do at the moment.

This suggestion applies to Dust Crusher, Freeze Cracker, and Thunder Bolt.

Any discussion of Gyro Attack in this topic should be ignored, as this bug is not the same as the double-hit exploit on said weapon.

March 01, 2015, 11:59:11 AM
Reply #1

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
Re: [BUG] Splitting weapons occasionally hit more than once
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
It's a FEATURE!

Actually, on weapons that use NOCLIP in this way, I agree we should switch to THRUACTORS.  

On Dust Crusher and Thunder Bolt, they currently do have moments where the hit player cannot be struck again, but if the player runs in the direction of the split projectile, they will be hit.  I'm not sure increasing the window will fix this problem entirely.  I'm also not entirely sold in the transparent part.  I think that will be too subtle to notice, or too obvious and odd looking.  Something that can be looked at though.

As for Freeze Cracker, I dunno, I actually think having the small bits hit the player are a good way for it to boost damage.  I know it can be sweet spotted, but that's not exactly simple and the bits are so low damage that it's not something I worry about too much.