Advanced Search

Author Topic: Another Mayday - An experimental survival invasion mod. [v1b update]  (Read 9114 times)

October 26, 2020, 02:27:05 AM
Read 9114 times

Offline TerminusEst13

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 18, 2020, 10:17:16 AM

• View Profile

"They're coming!"
"Again?! There was another attack just an hour ago!"
"They used it as a distraction to invade this spot!"
"The military can't defend against this assault! The civilians need to be evacuated!"
"Call the Robot Masters! Call for the mercenaries, tell 'em we have a defense job!"
"Sound out another mayday! We have to defend this ship!"

So what's this, then?:
Another Mayday is a survival invasion gameplay mode that forsakes the whole "Deathmatch" part of Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch. A little bit proof-of-concept and a little bit something an attempt at something potentially bigger, Another Mayday provides a pseudo-invasion competitive-cooperative experience that I like a lot. Then again, I'm slightly biased.

The set-up is simple.
Load up on any Deathmatch map (as long as they have co-op starts), or a built-in map. Players spawn in with limited lives (traditionally one), and enemies will spawn throughout the map to a specific timer. The enemies will continue to spawn as long as the timer is active, forming an ever-encroaching horde to overwhelm the players with sheer numbers, picking them off one by one. Once the timer hits zero, a boss will spawn to harass any remaining survivors!
For every enemy slain, zenny erupts out of their body because video games. Picking up this zenny will heal for 1 HP, but more importantly will also add to a score supplementing the amount of enemies a player's killed.
After the boss is defeated, all survivors will have their zenny compared. The player with the highest amount wins!

Since the mod essentially boils down to just code and a map, this is theoretically capable of being loaded alongside additional gameplay mods.

Setting Up:
If you'd like to host this mod, please do the following:
- Host server in Survival Cooperative. Make sure sv_maxlives is above 0! (Currently preferred at 1)
- Set up a DM maplist. Large maps very much preferred! (Please don't use MM2CRA)
 ^- you can include invmap01 if you want. i guess.
- Use some custom cvars to tweak as you see fit:
 ^- mayday_timelimit to determine how many minutes a match lasts. (Default 5)
 ^- mayday_countdown to determine how long until a match starts. (Default 20)
 ^- mayday_frequency to determine how many seconds between enemy spaws at. (Default 3)
 ^- mayday_perplayerdelay to include an additional delay to the spawn rate, with each player adding an additional 3 tics to the spawn rate. (Default 1)
 ^- mayday_beatcall to include a (deprecated) BeatCall to pick you out of (some) deathpits. (Given that the old BeatCall is deprecated, this is a temporary cvar to test public reaction. Please do not expect it to stay. Because of this, it defaults to 0)
- shoot the dudes
- don't get shot by the dudes
- yeah...

Maps:
INVMAP01: SEALAND FACTORY

Sealand is a tiny micronation begat from a reclaimed offshore fortress. While generally unnoticed by the greater world, its independence provides political refuge, and the abandoned military tech hides ancient treasures for plunderers. This, of course, makes it a viable target to attack...

Changelog:
(click to show/hide)

Download:
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=anothermayday-v1b.pk3 - AFTS link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqm6gbjatf6lx8s/AnotherMayday-v1b.pk3?dl=1 - DropBox link.
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=anothermayday-v1b.pk3 - Google Drive link.

Known Issues:
- Sometimes enemies spawn weird and get stuck into walls or spawn in OOB areas. Need to refine that.
- Zenny killed from these enemies just lingers there, unable to be picked up.
- Black Hole Bomb doesn't drag enemies in, due to them not having player TIDs.
- Does not work well with the following maps:
 ^- MM6CEN (No co-op start)
 ^- MMBDYN (No co-op start)
 ^- MMBPIR (No co-op start)
 ^- MMVNEP (Boss spawns in an area it cannot move from)
 ^- MMCTF02 (No co-op start)
 ^- MMCTF04-12 (No co-op start)
 ^- MMCTF14-18 (No co-op start)
 ^- MMCTF20 (No co-op start)
 ^- MMCTF23 (No co-op start)
 ^- MMCTF25 (No co-op start)

Credits:
(click to show/hide)

Thank you all for looking this over, and I hope you're willing to give it a shot.
This is my very first published 8BDM mod, and so I'm very curious to hear what folks think.
Please feel free to offer any critiques, suggestions, ideas, feedback, or more.

Please enjoy.

November 08, 2020, 08:08:31 PM
Reply #1

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
Re: Another Mayday - An experimental survival invasion mod.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 08:08:31 PM »
I guess you're aware, but the boss fight lags a lot, to the point I can only fight it in singleplayer.

Fun mod tho. This game really needs more coop/survival stuff.

November 08, 2020, 08:40:04 PM
Reply #2

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 08:40:04 PM »
I was experiencing some strong lag as well, unfortunately.

The match I did get to play on Mercury was really fun though! I'd love to experience how other maps are effected by it.

November 11, 2020, 05:27:39 PM
Reply #3

Offline TerminusEst13

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
I actually was not aware.
Fairly sure it's because of the boss HP bar, I'll see if I can figure out how to work around it.

Thank you for letting me know!

November 15, 2020, 04:38:44 AM
Reply #4

Offline JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 04:38:44 AM »
I think the zenny gives too much health and also that it would be cool if it gave ammo.
So here's v1b zenny doing that.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/160882052177199104/777390595496738826/ZennyJb.pk3

November 15, 2020, 07:00:19 AM
Reply #5

Offline TerminusEst13

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Another Mayday - An experimental survival invasion mod. [v1b update]
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 07:00:19 AM »
Ah, this is interesting. Thank you very much for the mod. A little bit of playing and I could already feel the shift in dynamic.

Speaking of v1b. I released an update today.
A bit of a delay between v1 and v1b to address some urgent things, but there were things that I couldn't help.

Here's a changelog.

(click to show/hide)

I'm still in the v1 stages, where I'm experimenting around with things and trying to figure out what would be fun to do with this. There's a lot of possibilities.
No promises, but next for v1c I'd like to include a shop to buy stuff with collected zenny.

I'm hoping to start doing some additional bosses/enemies and to do some more intricate refinements to the existing ones (Glass Joe's really kind of simple, huh?) with v2.
It's been a lot of fun seeing folks shoot the dudes, but as it stands now just one dude to shoot at again and again can get kind of stale.

Thank you all for playing.

November 18, 2020, 02:24:47 AM
Reply #6

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 02:24:47 AM »
Well, looks like all that boss lag is gone now. Good job.

January 04, 2021, 08:38:49 AM
Reply #7

Offline hansungkee

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor
  • Date Registered: March 24, 2017, 01:17:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 08:38:49 AM »
so... What's Next Stage And Boss?

May 04, 2023, 06:32:53 AM
Reply #8

Offline hansungkee