Advanced Search

Author Topic: Mega Man Awesome Network (intern positions available)  (Read 64665 times)

September 02, 2011, 08:22:10 PM
Reply #30

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
Re: SmashBro's Classes! (MegaMan.EXE making his sexy return)
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Alright, started messing around with the weapons a bit to test them out, and noticed a few things that just kind of bug me:

Mid-charged shots should deal more damage than uncharged shots. I'm not sure if they did extra damage in the actual game, but generally mid-charged shots are expected to deal more damage than uncharged shots.
    Firing rate should be significantly faster. IIRC, Megaman.EXE's buster's uncharged firing rate was one of the fastest in the series.
    On a similar note, all shots should travel much faster. Megaman.EXE's buster was practically hitscan. (That is, with the exception of Network Transmission, where they made it projectile again to go with the "classic-meets-modern" theme.)
    To compensate for those changes, you could make the EXE Buster shots do significantly less damage; the single-shot buster in the BN series was pretty much useless damage-wise. (This may be because I never got past the first few areas of MMBN3, but...) I do understand that he needs to have some use or else he'll get steamrolled before he can get a Custom out, but having a rapid-fire low-damage standard shot as well as a decently-powerful charged shot gives you options on how you're going to take out your foes.
    On the subject of the charged shot, the charge takes WAY too long for a 40 damage shot. Make the buster charge faster so the damage will be worth it.
    This is probably part of the WIP-ness of the project, but charge sounds and graphics are a must. You have no clue how much of a pain it was to test the charged buster without the ability to tell what charge level I was at.
    Currently, the EXE Buster "borrows" code from Atomic Fire. Which may be part of some of the problems above, but I digress. The main part of this that I noticed, however (again, this might just be because WIP) was that you turn Atomic Fire colors while charging. This will need to be fixed before the class is actually released.
    More WIP nitpicking, but the WoodCustom Buster is currently using the same code as the NormalStyle Buster. Including the same charge shot.

Alright, I'm done rambling. Despite these points, it doesn't look too bad for a start.

September 02, 2011, 09:14:05 PM
Reply #31

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
SmashBro being an ass again, hardy har har harrrrrr
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:05 PM »
Boy oh boy am I a fucking idiot or what. I realized my names were not aligning about 10 minutes after I had posted, but by then I was on the bus home and couldn't edit the post to say I had fixed it. Sorry for wasting everyone's time!

In response to ColdFusion, I was most concerned with avoiding "broken" weapons, so I didn't even bother changing the values of weapon routines; I just wanted it to work first. Then I would concern myself with balance. Like I said earlier, I found the problem relatively quickly and spent the rest of my two-hour ride home working on "tweaking".

Standard shots fire faster when you mash your mouse. They still do 10 damage though.
    The difference with the first two charge levels is size and speed. Mid-charge goes a lot faster and can hit easier.
    Cannon damage buffed to 50 points while Charge Shot nerfed to 35, to make Cannon suck less.
    Wood Custom charge attack re-inserted (I took it out because it was crashing the game for some reason)
    While I'm on the subject, Wood Custom's attack is fixed and uses Wood elemental damage
    Elec Shield's charge complete (but it uses yellow Ring Boomers for graphics HNNNNNNNNNNNG)
    Mini Bomb and Recov 30 chips added (but I stole Mike's AwsumWeapon sprites, lawl)

By the time I got home, I realized that everyone had posted anyway. I'm upset I failed to recognize such a n00b problem (and I'm a fucking programmer, to boot) and wasted everyone's time, but I'm glad you guys were willing to help me.

Oh yeah, you may have noticed this already but I couldn't figure out how to do that "flag calling pause trick" you were talking about. The chips still fire correctly, but they don't have pretty HUDS to go with them. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned, but a few nitpicky players might notice.

I also made my own weapon translations, but I can't compile them for some strange reason. Slade keeps bitching about missing "acc.exe" so I'm doing a quick Google search to find the file I need.

One more thing, and that's the shield alt-fire. I nearly have the ACS/Decorate bombo combo down pat, but Proto Shield's code is so complicated it still confuses me. As you may or may not know, I want the alt-fire to pull up a temporary frontal shield similar to Proto Buster's shield that blocks most frontal attacks. If anyone could help me understand what the heck the Proto Buster code is doing, that would be super-awesome.

Thanks once again for the help! I'm sorry I wasted your time with such a dumb mistake. :p

MAJOR EDIT: Calling all sprite artists! Please give me your graphics! Requests on the front page.

September 02, 2011, 10:53:59 PM
Reply #32

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
Re: SmashBro being an ass again, hardy har har harrrrrr
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 10:53:59 PM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
I also made my own weapon translations, but I can't compile them for some strange reason. Slade keeps bitching about missing "acc.exe" so I'm doing a quick Google search to find the file I need.

Here, let me save you some trouble.

"flag calling pause trick"

The following is a quick tutorial on how to make an item trigger an alternate state for a weapon. ...This is actually theoretical; you might want to test it first. It also might have a slight delay if your states have long delays to them.

Code: [Select]
Ready:
XXXX X 0 A_JumpIfInventory("CannonFlag", 1, "Cannon")
<Code and stuff>
Fire:
<Code and stuff>
Hold:
<Code and stuff>
Cannon:
<Code for firing a Cannon chip>
XXXX X 0 A_TakeInventory("CannonFlag", 999)
XXXX X 0 A_Refire
Goto Ready

And then the actual chip would give you a CannonFlag upon use.

September 04, 2011, 01:03:11 AM
Reply #33

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
Re: SmashBro's Classes (CONTEST ~ Winners get a rare chip!)
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »
Okay ladies and gentlemen, I'm holding a contest!

The job is to write obituary strings for the Style Shots and Battle Chips used by MegaMan.EXE! I wrote most of them, but got stumped for a few weapons. I didn't want them to sound lame so I came to the community for help. Don't get discouraged if I already wrote a string for a favorite weapon of yours, though; if it's good enough, it jus t might beat what I had originally came up with! Here's a list of weapons MegaMan.EXE will be using:
    Twister
    Bubbler
    Stun Blast
    Flamethrower
    Cannon
    Mini Bomb (or Cross Bomb)
    Wide Sword
    Yo-Yo
    Time Bomb

The winner of the contest gets to select a Battle Chip "family" from ANY Battle Network game and have it included with MegaMan.EXE once it's finished. Notice I said Battle Chip; Navi Chips and Giga Chips cannot be selected. Also, don't select end-game chips like Big Red Wave or Life Aura, I would like MegaMan.EXE to remain balanced with other classes and as such don't want to see OP chips.

Please PM entries to me. Don't post in this thread, as it will clutter things and make important posts hard to read. Failure to do so will result in your disqualification from the contest. Have fun, and get to NetBattling!

September 04, 2011, 01:37:45 AM
Reply #34

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 01:37:45 AM »
Please PM entries to me. Don't post in this thread, as it will clutter things and make important posts hard to read. Failure to do so will result in your disqualification from the contest. Have fun, and get to NetBattling!

Sorry, Korby. I kind of like some of those obituaries, though.

Don't worry, I won't steal them; I already sent in mine.

September 04, 2011, 01:42:55 AM
Reply #35

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 01:42:55 AM »
I have no idea what you are talking about.  :cool:

September 04, 2011, 01:46:36 AM
Reply #36

Offline chuggaafan1

• Standard Member

• not a fan, really
  • Date Registered: November 26, 2010, 06:14:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2011, 01:46:36 AM »
Sent Mine. I Love MMBN, So im looking forward to this.

September 04, 2011, 01:53:51 AM
Reply #37

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2011, 01:53:51 AM »
I've recieved entries from Chugga and ColdFusion. Lucky for Korby he has mod powers and I didn't see him post in the thread, so TECHNICALLY he's still a valid competitor. Lucky timing, indeed.....

I'm keeping the contest open for a few days so people who don't visit Cutstuff often have a chance at the contest. I might pick two winners (or even three, depending on how much extra Chip coding I'm willing to do) so don't give up!

September 04, 2011, 02:07:03 AM
Reply #38

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2011, 02:07:03 AM »
Darn you Korby and your mod powers...

Can't wait to see who wins!

September 04, 2011, 02:39:19 AM
Reply #39

Offline Blathers

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 02, 2011, 06:45:21 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2011, 02:39:19 AM »
Try and pick something with an interesting icon.

I'm looking forward to making it.

..Or choose whatever,

September 04, 2011, 04:01:23 AM
Reply #40

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 04:01:23 AM »
PROGRESS.

Here's that sexy 8-bit skin of MegaMan.EXE I will be using.
These photos also double as showing off the weapon color schemes.
(click to show/hide)

Here's some images of the various charge shots.
I also show off the HUD busters (yes there is a difference between Normal and Aqua)
Also lol placeholder sprites SHUT UP I'M CHANGING THEM OKAY?
(click to show/hide)

Finally, these are the currently-finished sprites for Battle Chips!
They look really good for being so tiny and 8-bit, you can thank Blathers for that.
He's also going to be working on custom shot graphics, so hooray for me!
(click to show/hide)

Oh, if you win the obituary competition, Blathers is going to sprite your chosen chip as well.

September 04, 2011, 04:06:30 AM
Reply #41

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 04:06:30 AM »
Great job on those, Blathers!

September 04, 2011, 04:24:15 AM
Reply #42

Offline Blathers

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 02, 2011, 06:45:21 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 04:24:15 AM »
I appreciate the praise.

Now to get to work on an over-sized spinning blade of doom.
That's something I have not tried before.

September 04, 2011, 09:45:13 AM
Reply #43

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 09:45:13 AM »
Here's that sexy 8-bit skin of MegaMan.EXE I will be using.
These photos also double as showing off the weapon color schemes.
(click to show/hide)

Uh... what's with his mouth? :?

September 04, 2011, 09:55:07 AM
Reply #44

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 09:55:07 AM »
It's .EXE's mask. You can see it during netbattles.