Advanced Search

Author Topic: Mega Man Awesome Network (intern positions available)  (Read 62852 times)

August 07, 2011, 03:58:29 PM
Read 62852 times

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
Mega Man Awesome Network (intern positions available)
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »
So I thought this was going to be one of those amazing projects with a ton of work and shit put into it that never gets released because the leader up and quits on everyone. I didn't want that to happen. Instead, I'm pulling "an MMX Classes" and releasing whatever cobbled-together mess I have to the public, hoping that the sweat, love, and tears put into the project isn't wasted. Really, I'm relying on the game mode's fun, replayability, and "sheer fanboy power" to keep the whole project alive here.

After six or seven betas (I lost count), a few servers, massive glitch debugging, a HUUUUGE overhaul by Yellow Devil, and some new chips while I was on vacation, I present to you... the 8-Bit Battle Network unofficial beta release. Now remember, this is a BETA so some things might be broken, overpowered, or just plain non-operational, so bear with me. I'm just pushing out something "at the moment" so you all can check it out, so to speak.

Have fun, I guess.

EDIT 1/16/2012: instead of heckling everyone I know on Skype to do work, I thought I'd just put a giant request list up here on the front page for anyone to tackle. My interns are happy because I stop pestering them, I'm happy because they can't say "they forgot" about it, and you're happy because you can help contribute and see your content hosted in a major expansion! Hey, everyone wins.

(click to show/hide)

August 07, 2011, 04:23:57 PM
Reply #1

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
Re: MegaMan.EXE ~ I won't give up yet!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
Well if this is just a single class, this better belongs in the actors forum.

August 07, 2011, 09:59:33 PM
Reply #2

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
Obviously, MegaMan.EXE's MegaBuster is quite different than Rock's. Rock's Mega Buster has a constant bullet speed and an average damage, but lacks of lock-on features.

EXE's MegaBuster would have a medium-close range lock-on feature (m2?), and bullets would become hard to distinguish (semi-transparent and small). The EXE Buster shot's bullet speed varies depending on the proximity of the target. If the target is too close, it's fast; if it's too far, it's slow. But almost all shots would be certain to hit IF lock-on is enabled. Charged shots function the same way, but take way longer to build up, and cause average-to-heavy damage.

Chip attacks should be treated as individual attack types, each with their own ammo, in order to summarize all same attacks with higher damage value (ex. reducing all types of Cannon into one, with the same damage as the weakest type).

Stuff like program advances and Soul Unisons are just too complicated for me to introduce to a Jump-n-Shoot formula, let alone an FPS.

There's something to get this thing going.

August 07, 2011, 11:31:31 PM
Reply #3

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »
This will be interesting.

That doesn't mean I'll accept it. Feel free to make it compatible though.

I still think the buster should be hitscanand deal pathetic damage. It was hitscan in the RPG games...

August 14, 2011, 05:07:43 PM
Reply #4

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Here's something I had whipped up a while ago. I added most of the black necessary to replace the outline and dark grey areas, removed the shadow, and lined up the frames. (in Front / R the "junk" graphic is just leftover from Classic Mega Man who was pasted over.) Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to get the colors to just blue and cyan without it looking... eh. Anyone wants to do a sample frame or even stab at recoloring the rest of it, go for it.

August 14, 2011, 05:32:25 PM
Reply #5

Offline NaePoliTan

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 22, 2011, 02:44:32 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »
I saw these in Deviant Art:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Maybe he can help you.

August 14, 2011, 05:33:30 PM
Reply #6

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
You're following Tsuki on deviantART?

August 14, 2011, 06:09:05 PM
Reply #7

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:09:05 PM »
Musashi, I had already decided how I wanted to portray MegaMan.EXE in a class format. Your ideas are great and highly appreciated, but I already have a blueprint to work from. Thanks anyway.

In case you wanted to see it then HERE YA GO copy-pasta directly from ColdFusion's thread
(click to show/hide)

Ice-IX, thanks for the skin blueprint! That looks great. I already had a MegaMan.EXE skin (and it was 8-bit and blue/cyan to boot!) but yours looks a lot better... Ehh, I'll probably throw both of 'em in.

also lol Tsuki Buster (the blue one looks suggestive)

Also, I'm lovin' the help, but I still need a weapons template because, well, I don't know how to make weapons!

August 15, 2011, 10:52:17 PM
Reply #8

Offline zyborg

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 29, 2011, 10:32:43 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:52:17 PM »
I would LOVE a MegaMan.exe class! I like everything about your idea... except for one thing. Why the Star Force shield? There are shielding options in the MegaMan Battle Network games already. There's the BattleChip you get from Mettaurs/Mettools -  "Guard". There's also the NaviCust programs Shield and Reflect.

August 18, 2011, 03:01:38 AM
Reply #9

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
I changed my mind... looks like I gave up after all
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:38 AM »
Charge Shots and the Custom Gauge were being a bitch so I decided to start with something easier. I will still be working on MegaMan.EXE here and there, but my main focus will be on...

SPIRAL KNIGHT

Yep, the adorable pint-sized hero is my next project. This should be NOTICEABLY easier than MegaMan.EXE because he isn't quite as complicated. No Custom Gauge, no Style Changes, and no Battle Chips! Charge Shots are still there to worry about, but it's not a top priority. I'll pretty much just have to make three weapons with identical shield altfires: the sword, the handgun, and the bomb.

Now to figure out how that darned Proto Shield works...

August 18, 2011, 04:07:10 AM
Reply #10

Offline zyborg

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 29, 2011, 10:32:43 PM

• View Profile
Re: SmashBro's Wall of Bluepri-- I mean "Custom Classes"
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:07:10 AM »
...I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you don't end up hitting a wall and being unable to work on MegaMan.EXE at all...

August 18, 2011, 12:07:19 PM
Reply #11

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
I'll come back to it... eventually. I really need some more experience working with the Doom code before I go to attempt something so... complex. Heh heh.

On a side note I must be a complete tool, because I cannot find the buster sprites in the 8BDM PK3! All I see are sprites for the default Mega Buster and various "throwing" sprites (not a buster, just hands holding things). Can anyone point me to the colored buster sprites? Thanks.

EDIT: I would love it if someone could provide me with HUDs for the Spiral Sword and Spiral Bomb. If it helps, the Spiral Knight is going to be green. Thanks!

August 18, 2011, 02:11:36 PM
Reply #12

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
The colored buster sprites are textures. I was also working on a Mega Man Battle Network game mode thingy long ago. Maybe we can team up eventually or something.

August 18, 2011, 05:39:14 PM
Reply #13

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
Quote from: "Gummywormz"
The sprites are textures.
WHAT. :shock: No wonder I didn't find them! Thanks for the help.
And about the expansion, that's good to know!

September 01, 2011, 11:52:00 AM
Reply #14

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
PROGRESS

I got charge shots to cooperate with me. Normal Style and Wood Custom's main fires have been completed. Might have to nerf Wood Custom's Twister though, the ripping attribute seems a little OP.

How do you stun players, like Spark Shock? (to complete Elec Shield's charge)
What's the difference between Wave Burner and Flamethrower? (to complete Heat Support's charge)
How do you make an "item" act like a weapon? (to start work on Battle Chips)

Screenshots coming soon, I promise :cool: