Advanced Search

Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is for men  (Read 19358 times)

November 20, 2011, 07:28:47 AM
Reply #15

Offline Mrguy891

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 01, 2011, 08:43:05 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Mrguy891
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is for men
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 07:28:47 AM »
Quote from: "Bikdark"
I also hate it when people call it "Manly." It's not. It's a cartoon about horses that live in a magical world.
This. Please change the topic title, just please.

November 20, 2011, 04:36:56 PM
Reply #16

Offline brotoad

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: February 25, 2010, 01:33:13 AM

• View Profile
    • http://brotoad.tumblr.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »
Men were certainly not the target demographic of the show, but the fact that they are watching is is free advertising for hasbro. there is no way they could have predicted this.

as for the show, i agree with everyone else. it wasn't bad, it was certainly enjoyable especially considering the source material, but obsessive bronies scare me.

on the other hand, the extreme anti bronies are just as bad

November 20, 2011, 05:07:38 PM
Reply #17

Offline ?Tsan?

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 22, 2011, 10:53:26 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.burnie.com
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
I think MLP is your average mediocre children's cartoon with silly morals and boring characters. I also hate it when people call it "Manly." It's not. It's a cartoon about horses that live in a magical world.

I'm so insulted. Why didn't you just say you hate the fanbase like everyone else.

November 20, 2011, 05:13:50 PM
Reply #18

Offline Tails

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 02:26:40 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
Well quite frankly, I find the show a bit mediocre too.

November 20, 2011, 06:31:39 PM
Reply #19

Offline brotoad

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: February 25, 2010, 01:33:13 AM

• View Profile
    • http://brotoad.tumblr.com/
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »
people have a right to their opinion, you shouldn't be insulted just because he doesn't like the show/didn't say what everyone else was saying.

November 20, 2011, 06:36:48 PM
Reply #20

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
I also really, really hate the term "Brony". I associate all the "rabid fans" as Bronies, and consider anyone sensible about the show as "Friendship is Magic Fans". Seriously, the term Brony has such a negative connotation at this point in time.

November 20, 2011, 07:01:10 PM
Reply #21

Offline ?Tsan?

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
So here's what i've gathered;
Everyone hates the fans, but likes the show?
Uhh, well I'm kind of angry but brotoad is right. Everyone has their own opinion. But if anyone is sucked into the magic of friendship then I applaud you. By the way, I sincerely apologize to hater taters, ponies are not girly.
I don't know why some of you hate bronies and recognize them as tards, but none of them are rabid in anyway to randomly obstruct you, or mentally forcing you to click on pony images/videos.

November 20, 2011, 07:15:19 PM
Reply #22

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
i'll post what a friend once told me

"like final fantazy.

fanbase is utter crap, but the thing itself is good"

November 20, 2011, 07:17:19 PM
Reply #23

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »
You've just started some sick fires, bro.

Okay, let's begin on the most basic grounds--My Little Pony, like every other TV show on these days, is a work of art.  That's something no one can deny about it.  Whether it's good or not is clearly up for debate, but I think it's a fair statement to say it's well-made.  The animation is fluent, the art is colorful and very friendly--and even if an animation mistake is made ("Derpy Hooves," "Cyclops," etc.), it earns a fan following rather than a good bashing.

Now for the characters.  I've seen many people who skimmed and said that all the characters were generic--which I suppose is typical to think if you skimmed, but far from the truth.  Upon watching several episodes, you will notice how multidimensional the Mane Cast is--they don't just act one way all the time like you would expect, they react differently to the situations they're put in, like, y'know, human beings.  This makes them fun to watch in most cases (Which, on a side note, is why I liked S02E03), or at least interesting to place alongside "normal" characters.  Hay, I bet that if I directed you to a large-scale group photo, you could pick out a favorite or at least one you think "looks cool" based on appearance alone.
(click to show/hide)

On a major note, though, there is the fanbase.  I'm not talking about the obnoxious bronies that shove it down the hater's throats; I'm not talking about those weird, ever-so-slightly-creepy bronies that have fantasies about this sort of thing; I'm talking about the people who are sensible about enjoying the show and can take people that don't like it.  You may have never encountered someone like this, but it seems that's the only type I run into over at Twenty Percent Cooler (image board for ponies; it's where I go to talk to the fanbase).  Not only do I have a good friend there, to analyze and debate aspects of the show with; there are a slew of artists that draw their own amazing little tributes to the show.
And when you have all these sensible people together, you get into a bit of a cycle of inspiration--this drawing inspired me to invent my own take on a pony villain, and--although I can't draw--my writings may inspire someone else in the community.  What you wind up getting is this happy network that's constantly distributing things it can enjoy to itself--works of art, pony FCs, fan fictions.  It's a wonderful thing to be part of this network--to be inspired by the odd encounter of just an image, and to hopefully inspire someone else by what I made.

Which brings me back to the beginning of my rambling.  My Little Pony is a work of art. That's something no one can deny about it.

November 20, 2011, 07:29:07 PM
Reply #24

Offline ?Tsan?

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »
Quote from: "Lag Man"
i'll post what a friend once told me

"like final fantazy.

fanbase is utter crap, but the thing itself is good"

Your friend may think it's like final "fantazy" but I think My Little Pony's fanbase is slowly becoming the Sonic fanbase...
Animals and Rule 34
Fanmade characters
Fanmade characters and Rule 34
Besides, at least cross-over final fantasy yaoi parings make some people happy compared to furry animal rule 34.

November 20, 2011, 07:32:58 PM
Reply #25

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
@Tsan
You don't seem to understand. I used to like the show, but now, like Korby, I can't watch it precisely because it got shoved EVERYWHERE. The fans who tend to be those annoying vocal pushers are the ones who call themselves Bronies. I never liked the term Brony when it was first coined, I didn't like it now.

The fact you are trying to protect those people implies to me that you haven't opened your eyes, and/or you are just acting blindly in support. True, I do know of some sensible people who still would call themselves "Bronies".

@Fantazy
Yes, the characters are multidimensional, and I enjoyed that. Even Rarity who would normally be one of the most hated archetypes in some other show, ends up being one of my favorites. Precisely because she goes beyond having a one track mind. For a flash cartoon, I'm amazed with the effort that went into it. It gives a good name to the animation style which is otherwise filled with mediocre cartoons.
It certainly is not the best work I have ever seen, but it's actually pretty good for what it is. It's just the general vocal portion of the fan base is what I absolutely can't stand.

This goes again to the Touhou Community, when you get past the general vocal fanbase, the series does have rather "normal" fans. By normal I mean the ones who aren't the compulsive members of the fan base. None the less, both things got ruined to me because they have some of the worse vocal fans I have ever seen.

So to recap? Bronies aren't all bad. What did Tsan say? None of them are bad.

November 20, 2011, 07:35:56 PM
Reply #26

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
Quote from: "thatguy74"
See, Imma make an analogy here: Ponies is to the west as touhou is to the east. Both are overrated, overloved, forced-into-peoples-throats things that I frankly think only do this to prolong each other. Each are loved at where they originate at, as most of the fanbase is there. I personally hate the fanbases more than the actual thing, as I'm indifferent to both.
What about TF2? =P
I also hate it when people call it "Manly." It's not. It's a cartoon about horses that live in a magical world.
Thisthisthis.
Quote from: "?Tsan?"
Besides, at least cross-over final fantasy yaoi parings make some people happy compared to furry animal rule 34.
O.ó

November 20, 2011, 07:36:49 PM
Reply #27

Offline Mr. Sean Nelson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 30, 2010, 06:37:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is for men girls.

Umad?

November 20, 2011, 07:38:03 PM
Reply #28

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
sean actually has a point

isn't mlp a show for little girls?

November 20, 2011, 07:40:54 PM
Reply #29

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »
No, the target audience was for girls, but the show was designed to be still enjoyable for the parents who watch the show with their kids. Which doesn't rule out the show being entertaining for those who aren't the girls, or aren't the parents.