Advanced Search

Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is for men  (Read 19290 times)

December 01, 2011, 06:30:26 AM
Reply #90

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is for men
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2011, 06:30:26 AM »
Quote from: "Mr. X"
Hell, I'd say my XDM05 is pushing the line with randomly inserting stuff into MM8BDM.
But that was tastefully done, not just shoved everywhere.

December 01, 2011, 07:13:31 AM
Reply #91

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
I spam Umineko references a lot, no one's chewed me out yet!
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2011, 07:13:31 AM »
Are you a fan of the show?
No. I would have to watch it to be a fan of it, most likely. Unfortunately, I tend to stay away from series that are "serialized" - and given that this show's origin is as a marketing ploy, I probably can't rule that out. The other immediately obvious thing to me is the recurring "friendship" themes that are usually used to drive plot. I find those cliche from my perspective and avoid them as well. There's nothing wrong with either of those; simply my preference to avoid them.  

What do you think of it?
I think it fills an excellent niche. From the fan base I can tell there's a huge crowd of adolescent boys who want to watch a show that harkens back to the style of their childhood cartoon favorites in terms of animation, plot and general themes, but now watching what appears to be a "magical girl" series is novel to them because they lacked the interest in similar shows when they were children. (Well, I suppose many of them got the occasional Sailor Moon in there, but whatever.) From what I've seen the animation quality is pretty good and I've enjoyed a few of the parodies/redubs that involve it. I find putting into other memes such as the "Moonbase Alpha" video (e.g. aeiou) or the sparta remixes etc. are funny.

Does it bother me that people post image macros of Ponies or reference it in numerous scenarios? Not at all. Cultural diffusion is a great way of sharing your interests with the community. However, I think people should have personalities and characteristics OUTSIDE of their pony fanaticism. (This goes for Touhou, as well.) If you're a regular person (e.g. a mega man fan) and you like ponies or touhou, a lot, that's fine. Now, if that's ALL I can associate you with? You're doing it wrong. If you're a person and and you're entirely incapable of escaping the label of "Touhou fanboy" or "brony", you're taking out the "regular person" out of the first equation. People want to discuss things on a regular basis with a person, not a walking meme generator. Is that a problem with the Touhou or MLP franchises? Absolutely not, and anyone who judges the quality of a series based on its fanbase I will deem irrational. Any series can come to completely dominate the persona of a malleable person. They congregate in masses at some places where they can justify their behavior. I use the EXE franchise series as a parallel. I'm a big fan of the series. A lot of the prominent fans of EXE are young children who bash everything else irrationally or act dumb. Do I like the EXE series any less? Of course not. That would be conformism, and I don't believe in that. Ever.

Are you awesome?
Going from my previous responses? Yes. I have it what it takes to judge a franchise on its own merits and not on its creator's or its audience's. Do you?

December 02, 2011, 09:05:12 AM
Reply #92

Offline Snake33AU

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 07, 2010, 02:06:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
Some good responses, though I think Mr. X summed it up nicely.

Are you a fan of the show?
No, to be honest I haven't watched it, but personally it doesn't look like something that would appeal to me either.

What do you think of it?
I can imagine it's an entertaining show, and has its fun, but like almost everything, fanboys kill franchises.
I don't even know what Touhou is and I'm already sick of hearing it on here, lol.
Also, I got this Halo DVD which explains the background story, and I realise it's a fantastic story.
I don't own an Xbox, and all the Halo fanboys almost killed the entire franchise for me. Had it not been for that DVD,
I would have never known that I actually quite like the storyline.
I agree with being a fan of something, but acting onto it like a religion, or trying to defend it in any possible way to the extreme
seems a bit too much to me. It's a flippin' show for Wily's sake!

I miss Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy. They had adult themes which I can laugh at properly nowadays.
I also realise as an adult why I enjoyed Sailor Moon when I was a kid... <_< lol.

Are you awesome?
In bizarro world? Maybe...

December 02, 2011, 01:51:15 PM
Reply #93

Offline ?Tsan?

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 22, 2011, 10:53:26 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.burnie.com
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
Interesting...
So would you say Minecraft is shoved everywhere,
Or everywhere shoved into Minecraft?

December 02, 2011, 02:03:49 PM
Reply #94

Offline Snake33AU

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 07, 2010, 02:06:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »
Quote from: "?Tsan?"
Interesting...
To an extent, yes, Minecraft is talked a lot about (and especially Skyrim at the moment) but
there is a Minecraft topic, and I barely post in it. What would be spammy is if I posted something
Minecraft related in topics that aren't related to Minecraft. As for bronies, I get it, they're everywhere in
Funnyjunk and Team Fortress 2, but it doesn't stop me from visiting the site or playing the game.
I even joined a Furry server, and looked past all the connotations, because it was in fact a good server.
The only complaint I had was coz they all knew each other in the server, they would just not shut up, lol.
Being a fan of something is good, but being a fanboy/fanatic, is one step further.

December 02, 2011, 04:05:34 PM
Reply #95

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
Quote from: "?Tsan?"
Interesting...

It's getting there, but Skyrim definitely counts right now to me anyways.

December 09, 2011, 01:04:51 PM
Reply #96

Offline Trollman

• Standard Member

• The elusive BOXARTMAN makes an appearance!
  • Date Registered: April 16, 2011, 02:16:41 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »
Quote from: "Trollman"
Are you a fan of My Little Pony?
Yes, it's a good show.

What do you think about the show?
It's a suprisingly good kids show (IMO) that includes good comedy, episode morals and a good fandom (IMO).

Taking your answers from previous questions, are you awesome?
Yes I can't judge myself without the other people's opinions.
Updated my answers.

December 09, 2011, 07:45:56 PM
Reply #97

Offline Tails

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 02:26:40 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2011, 07:45:56 PM »
Looking at two episodes for about ten minutes, I think the show's mediocre. The jokes aren't that funny to me, and the voices are really annoying at times. Plus, from what I've seen from various clips, NOTHING IN THIS SHOW IS MANLY. I don't find this show manly at all, even looking back I hardly, hardly doubted it. I think the Rarity one fought a dragon or something, but then the dragon became friends or something. But that isn't manly like, at all. Overall, I'm not sure why this show is so overrated and why people defend it heavily. I mean it's colorful and the artwork looks pretty good, but in the end, looks don't matter much if the content doesn't hold up. Or, at least to me I feel as the content doesn't hold up that good.

December 09, 2011, 07:59:39 PM
Reply #98

Offline Mrguy891

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 01, 2011, 08:43:05 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Mrguy891
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
You do know the whole "manly" thing is a joke and wasn't used often in months.

December 09, 2011, 08:14:09 PM
Reply #99

Offline Tails

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 02:26:40 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »
The author of this topic apparently said it was, so I figured a lot of the fans thought it was.

December 09, 2011, 08:25:48 PM
Reply #100

Offline Mrguy891

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 01, 2011, 08:43:05 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Mrguy891
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »
Ah I can understand that. Well as a (kinda) fan, I want the topic title to change too. Something like "MLP FiM Discussion"

January 21, 2012, 11:34:49 PM
Reply #101

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2012, 11:34:49 PM »
I honosly(cant spell) dont care about the show. I dont hate it. but i dont like it... but I do enjoy using it to mess with my sister every now and then... but I kinda stoped that because she for some reason went from not really caring about it to drawing ponies and being a fan in like ten minutes...

January 21, 2012, 11:40:57 PM
Reply #102

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
This thread's name makes me want to bite children
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2012, 11:40:57 PM »
Was it absolutely necessary to bump such a useless thread?

January 21, 2012, 11:46:38 PM
Reply #103

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2012, 11:46:38 PM »
he said honosly

it was absolutely necessary.