Advanced Search

Author Topic: $#!% Cutopians Say - The Quote Thread  (Read 10789 times)

June 27, 2014, 12:03:13 AM
Reply #30

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
Re: $#!% Cutopians Say - The Quote Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »
hi my name is SmashBro and I'm here to ruin everyone's day

So after Myroc provided a valid point and translated Bikdark's bitching and moaning... I'm inclined to side with the "pls leave" train. Stories are cool, RPs are acceptable, but these are just random snippets of slightly larger snippets of non-existent adventures. They don't really add to anything or develop characters in any meaningful way, they're just sort of... well, there. I'd say take it to Skype or The Bumblr if you really must continue; at least people there have a choice in reading things, instead of seeing this thread bumped with one-liners and having a bright orange "hey click me I have unread posts" wiggling around in their face whenever they hit the View New Posts button.

... I probably wouldn't mind this topic so much if Cold Fusion wasn't a donglord and picked out a better thread title. I mean for fuck's sake, he comic-filtered the first word of a title to a thread in Anything Goes, one of the most visited sub-forums on Cutstuff. That's just satanic.

June 27, 2014, 12:22:21 AM
Reply #31

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »
I am inclined to agree. I was going to close this thread before the purpose of it was properly explained, but even then, was this really needed? If you want want to develop your characters more, there are far better alternatives to doing so. Such as actually writing stories, or adding onto those character profiles.

June 28, 2014, 05:11:29 AM
Reply #32

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 05:11:29 AM »
Here was my thought process behind making this thread:

- The quotes don't fit in the Character Catalog because... well... it's a catalog
- They really aren't long enough to go in the Writer's Guild without seeming like a waste of a perfectly good post in there
- Sometimes people don't want to write a full story just to get out a certain line of dialogue

Thus, I made a thread for people who want to share their short dialogues without making an entire short story just to justify them. Sure, there are other, better ways to flesh out characters. But sometimes you just come up with something stupid you need to get out.

And that's what this is all about.

June 28, 2014, 05:36:48 AM
Reply #33

Offline Orange juice :l

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=590
Re: $#!% Cutopians Say - The Drivel Thread
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 05:36:48 AM »
Quote from: "xColdxFusionx"
But sometimes you just come up with something stupid you need to get out. And that's what this is all about.

I do this about once a day, twice if I'm sick

It's a big stretch to say everything, as you call it, stupid needs to be posted.

June 28, 2014, 05:39:07 AM
Reply #34

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 05:39:07 AM »
wow sorry i cant read i thought quotes were allowed oh well too late now i'm already typing

(click to show/hide)

June 28, 2014, 05:46:31 AM
Reply #35

Offline Magikarp

• Standard Member

• LEEEAVE the fucking city NOOooOooW
  • Date Registered: June 24, 2012, 08:44:44 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 05:46:31 AM »
really if this was ACTUALLY 'shit cutopians say', as in like skype logs, maybe this could have gotten off the ground a bit more than it already has (if it has)

I mean, my first post on here was just Smash quoting calls and Gumball being himself, [ninja edit: and me acknowledging a not-so-inside joke] and that seemed pretty fitting to me. I mean, it's shit Cutopians are saying. Whoop lookie I'm doing a thing ma

I like the idea of this thread, but honestly I see no reason for it to exist, as well. It's just kinda... here.

June 28, 2014, 05:52:52 AM
Reply #36

Offline Watzup7856

• MM8BDM Extender

• You're nothing but peppered asscheeks to me
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=992
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:52 AM »
[6/3/2012 9:30:14 PM] Bikdark: fuck you don't even know hwo to speak

[6/3/2012 9:31:05 PM] Bikdark: it's course nto kourse you illiterate dumbass

I fucking cried

June 28, 2014, 05:59:54 AM
Reply #37

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 05:59:54 AM »
i've grown so much :')

June 28, 2014, 06:06:25 AM
Reply #38

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
Alright, when it comes down to it I just feel like this thread has been too far derailed to ever recover.

I understand what this thread's trying to accomplish, but when it comes down to it there's simply better ways to develop a character than making a couple of quick snippets that the writer likely cares more about than the reader. The thread itself is widely confusing from a first glance, and it took an incredible amount of time to actually get this off the ground, from which then no one's actually contributed to this thread in a productive manner.

In my opinion, it would just be more beneficial to both a writer and a reader to write stuff with a point, a plot, something more than just idle-chitchat. Even then, it can just be idle chitchat - just make it more than a one-sided exchange. You can literally write about people walking and talking in the middle of nowhere, and still have creative freedom.

It also seems like these are meant to be slightly more than jokes? In which case, don't write dialogue solely for a punch line. Jokes can add to a personality, but for the most part anyone can make jokes. I think we even have a thread for just short, quick jokes or exchanges that may or may not provoke laughter.

In short, we've gone too far off track for something like this, which could be handled better in a different manner, so I'm just going to lock this.