Advanced Search

Author Topic: Unofficial Weapon Tiers (Updated!)  (Read 48141 times)

March 14, 2011, 05:28:42 AM
Read 48141 times

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
Unofficial Weapon Tiers (Updated!)
« on: March 14, 2011, 05:28:42 AM »
First of all this is what the title says, this list is completely unofficial. This list is based off of opinions of others and my thoughts and opinion. Weapons will be placed in a tier list (in no particular order within same rank), and the tier is based off of usage of the weapons in DUELS. Exploits do not count forward toward the tiers. Also note that both duelist have the same range of ping and lag.

Any thoughts are appreciated, so the tier list can be more and more “accurate”.

S:
None!

A:

+Atomic Fire
+Ballade Cracker (S)
Top Spin
Silver Tomahawk
-Thunder Beam
-Magnet Missile (S-) (A+)
-Yamato Spear

B:
+Rolling Cutter
+Super Arm (C+) (B)
+Leaf Shield
+Pharaoh Shot (S-) (C+)
+Gravity Hold (S-) (C+)
+Blizzard Attack (C-)
Metal Blade
Hard Knuckle
Ring Boomerang (C+)
Dust Crusher (D+) (C+)
Skull Barrier (A)
Gyro Attack (A) (C+)
Charge Kick (B-)
Water Wave
Star Crash
Crystal Eye
Knight Crush (S)
Plant Barrier (C-)
Slash Claw
Noise Crush
Bass Buster
Triple Blade
-Ice Slasher (C+)
-Crash Bomb
-Quick Boomerang (C-)
-Shadow Blade
-Centaur Flash (C) (C+)
-Danger Wrap (C+)
-Thunder Bolt
-Junk Shield (S+)
-Scorch Wheel
-Mirror Buster

C:
+Fire Storm (B)
+Air Shooter
+Bubble Lead (C)
+Needle Cannon
+Drill Bomb (B) (B-)
+Power Stone (D) (B+) (B)
+Wild Coil (A-)
+Noise Crush (B)
Gemini Laser (C) (C-)
Rain Flush
Napalm Bomb
Flame Blast
Screw Crusher
Freeze Cracker
-Mega Buster (C)
-Hyper Bomb (C)
-Wind Storm (C+)

D:
Spark Shock
Search Snake
Sakugarne

E:
Dive Missile

F:
Flash Stopper

Remember that all weapons should not be in one tier to be “perfectly balanced”. Every FPS has their weak weapons and strong weapons.

Explanations/reasoning for each weapon is ordered mostly by game.

MM1
(click to show/hide)

MM2
(click to show/hide)

MM3
(click to show/hide)

MM4
(click to show/hide)

MM5
(click to show/hide)

MM6
(click to show/hide)

MM7
(click to show/hide)

Others
(click to show/hide)

Non-standard Weapons
(click to show/hide)

March 14, 2011, 06:46:51 AM
Reply #1

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
Re: Unofficial Weapon Tiers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:46:51 AM »
The real "issues" I have with the tier list is the C-tier, which is "megabuster level". It's kinda messy to compare all that stuff to the Megabuster, my main beef being Ring Boomerangs. (I would place higher) Of course, it's an easy fix if you move some weapons down. Weapons I would suggest moving down (from C-tier):

-Megabuster (weak)
-Gemini Laser (weak)
-Blizzard Attack (weak AND slow)
-Freeze Cracker (weak)
-Bubble Lead (very slow)

It could be the way the game is setup but the tier list seems like an inverse pyramid- you want more weapons at the bottom, not the top, and right now Flash Stopper is kinda lonely. My suggestion: put Megabuster in D or E tier, then put weapons below that you would never use over the Megabuster (like Stopper, Blizzard Attack) since you view things in terms of megabuster replacements. This would clean up the C-tier a bit. If you're curious about a single weapon I mentioned holler.

March 14, 2011, 07:08:39 AM
Reply #2

Offline Smunch

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 28, 2010, 04:11:16 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:39 AM »
Hoo boy.  Just 12 hours ago on the duel server I said "inb4 tier list" and look what happens.  Mind = Blown  :lol:

I'll leave my 2-bit opinion though, based off of my limited duel knowledge;
Spark Shock and Search Snake are worse than Dive Missile, definitely.  It is very difficult to successfully hit with the Spark Shock, and even if it happens, chances are you will not be able to chain hits, due to the fact that you were probably moving around whilst firing it.  The Snake is beyond too easy to dodge, unless caught off guard.  Even if caught off guard, the little damage it does is no threat.  Dive missile, when fired, is like a beautifully aimed mega buster shot, very useful for hitting fleers, even those with charge kick.  Just today, I got 2 duel kills with it (however, it was in dive man's stage, take it how you will).  I am uncertain that the Missile is better than Saku and Stone, though.

I really want to say dust crusher deserves a bump up, due to its 3 hit kill.  However, I feel like you may have it right.  

Man, my favorite weapons look a lot crappier in comparison on this list now >.>

March 14, 2011, 07:15:58 AM
Reply #3

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:15:58 AM »
As much as I'd like to bicker over tiers, I'd like to ask you to "review" Triple Blade for this list.

Gogogo.

March 14, 2011, 07:18:57 AM
Reply #4

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:18:57 AM »
Quote from: "Korby"
As much as I'd like to bicker over tiers, I'd like to ask you to "review" Triple Blade for this list.

Gogogo.

FUNNY THING! I TOOK OUT TRIPLE BLADE CAUSE IT WAS NOT "OFFICIAL", BUT I REALLY WANTED TO ADD IT TOO INTO THE LIST!!!
XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXD

But I will some time.

March 14, 2011, 08:51:34 AM
Reply #5

Offline Muzaru

• Bugs/Suggestions Managers
  • Date Registered: November 27, 2010, 05:55:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
Quote from: "Ice-IX"
The real "issues" I have with the tier list is the C-tier, which is "megabuster level". It's kinda messy to compare all that stuff to the Megabuster, my main beef being Ring Boomerangs. (I would place higher) Of course, it's an easy fix if you move some weapons down. Weapons I would suggest moving down (from C-tier):

-Megabuster (weak)
-Gemini Laser (weak)
-Blizzard Attack (weak AND slow)
-Freeze Cracker (weak)
-Bubble Lead (very slow)

It could be the way the game is setup but the tier list seems like an inverse pyramid- you want more weapons at the bottom, not the top, and right now Flash Stopper is kinda lonely. My suggestion: put Megabuster in D or E tier, then put weapons below that you would never use over the Megabuster (like Stopper, Blizzard Attack) since you view things in terms of megabuster replacements. This would clean up the C-tier a bit. If you're curious about a single weapon I mentioned holler. (yo Tesse! etc.)

-Gemini laser isn't really weak, as it kills in 4 shots and can lock down an area with a little bit of planning. Suggested tier Mid-low to low....

-The blizzard attack(god... I miss the v1a blizzard...) It is great to rush with/close range I don't really remember its damage, but I think it can kill in 2 or 3 hits if all connect(someone call me on that) so think of it as a midrange shotgun, that has some of the best stun in the game. Suggested tier.... Mid-high to mid.

-The Freeze Cracker...... I'm not good with, so what I might tell you wont really describe it well.

-The Bubble Lead... Is one of the strongest weps in the game doing 40 damage until after its little doubling thing, otherwise it does 20 damage, fires quickly, travels slowly(if you run with these you can make a "moving fence of death" or something like it). Yet another wep with a high amount of "stun" ensuring it can combo if aligned properly. Suggested tier mid-high to mid.

-The Megabuster is free, fires quickly, and is immediately available to you(most of the time). Its dps is great being higher than most high tier weps, but requires great aim and prediction. Though, its slow, unforgiving and lacks stun it is a high level wep that deserves a mid tier area.

March 14, 2011, 11:26:42 AM
Reply #6

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »
F:
Flash Stopper

You'd be surprised.  Due to its close range nature, it works well by rapidly switching to another close-range and attacking with it.  Roc's Creation beat me in this manner with a Flash Stopper-Top Spin combo.

Also Centaur Flash is more useful than that  :ugeek:

March 14, 2011, 02:44:11 PM
Reply #7

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »
So far from what I've heard so far is that the Duster Crusher and Ring Boomerang needs to be higher up on the list. Agreed almost unainumosly I might add too. I would change it, but I need some good reasons why and suggestions for the description for the weapon for the tier placement explaination.

Quote from: "Muzaru"
(click to show/hide)

These are my arguments for each of those weapons you 2 guys have mentioned.

Gemini Laser: This sits with weapons like Napalm Bomb and Flame Blast. Not good weapons for direct attacks, but decent to create a diversion for an escape attempt. Gemini Laser is not weak weapon, just tricky to use (even as a diversion weapon).

Blizzard Attack: Now Muz's point on Blizzard Attack is quite interesting, and some testing could be done to see if this point could move Blizzard Attack anywhere else in the tier list.

Freeze Cracker: Freeze Cracker is a weaker yet a lot faster version of Dust Crusher. With more shrapnel everywhere, this is a lot less punishable if the user misses. If we had a Freeze Cracker vs Dust Crusher fight, and assume that both players miss around the same number of times, then the Freeze Cracker will probably hit more and the damage will add up more than the Dust Crusher.

Bubble Lead: It is strong, and no one can deny that. Even with it's damage variation, the downer for this is the painfully slow projectile speed. Being strong is good and all, but what good of an use is it if you always miss because of its speed? I find it still around the C tier.

Mega Buster: Mega Buster is you average weapon. Power is not great, but it does enough to be useable. Being infinite use and it not being a punishable weapon to use, it breaks even with its low power. Then again, when compared to all the other weapons, this becomes dwarfed really fast, so I won't be surprised if I see this weapon to be demoted.

Also Tess, I think a tier list with even amount or a pyramid shape is not necessary. Imagine if all the weapons in this game used sv_fastweapons 2 speed as their default! There would be so many weapons in the A to S tiers, and a few in really low tiers. In short, weapons "earn" their tiers like students earning grades in school.

Quote from: "CHAOS_FANTAZY"
(click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]
This list is about weapons used alone. I think this might change , because 2 lesser tier weapons could outperform higher tier weapons, but it would look awkward for just those individual weapon to be placed in a higher tier while not functioning well alone. Again Flash Stopper alone is just awful. Flash Stopper is the poorest option for an escape weapon, because you may still see through somewhat through the Flash Stopper somewhat. No killing potentail itself and.... /endrantflashstopper.

Explain why Centaur Flash should be higher. I dueled Cutman Mike in Magnet Man's stage and Eddie gave me Centaur Flash twice. Sure it helped me get away from some of his rampaging attacks, but once I used it up, he was still in close quarters with me. Even while I was scrambling to grab more ammo, getting him off my tail with this was not that effective at best. I had to chase him away with Ice Slasher to make him retreat. I do not see how much more useful it is as a defensive weapon.  Centaur Flash as an offensive weapon is just paying too much ammo for kill. I really would like to hear about your thoughts of Centaur Flash though (You might bring up an interesting point like what Muz did!  :) ).

March 14, 2011, 03:15:45 PM
Reply #8

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
Rename this "The Pointless Debate".

Some people rock with weapons, some don't. We don't need a list, and we certainly don't need all this arguing.

March 14, 2011, 03:22:35 PM
Reply #9

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »
Quote from: "Yellow Devil"
Rename this "The Pointless Debate".

Some people rock with weapons, some don't. We don't need a list, and we certainly don't need all this arguing.

If you do not want to get involved, then get out.
Also this is friendly arguments, not some hot-blooded flame war.

March 14, 2011, 08:05:43 PM
Reply #10

Offline Mr. Sean Nelson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 30, 2010, 06:37:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »
*Agrees with SaviorSword*

Plant Barrier: C-

Plant Barrier is an E tank replacement at its best. Healing by a weapon might sound silly, but are just a few instances that Plant Barrier would be a good healing option. Since no other weapons can heal the user (for now), I’ll just put this in the C- tier for the unique quality this weapon has.

I don't understand why this merits a C-. An E-tank replacement would be worth more, wouldn't it? In duels, one is always scrounging to get the E-tank. In addition, the ammo is easily recovered and it can be used again quickly. I know you had said that this list was for duels, but this seems to be an invaluable weapon for both duals and CTF.

March 14, 2011, 08:10:58 PM
Reply #11

Offline arkman

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 17, 2011, 04:22:37 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
I must respectfully disagree with Search snake's placement, the real beauty of the weapon is when you are looking for an opponent. It might as well have unlimited ammo, and as you run forward firing, it basically creates a supersnake, While the odds of hitting someone with this snake are slim, it is always an instant kill. It also is very useful on bumpy levels, as it is hard to dodge the snakes and worry about where the next step is.

While it is in no way an A class weapon, I think it is at least a C-

March 15, 2011, 12:01:56 AM
Reply #12

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 12:01:56 AM »
Well, of course. Bubble Lead is mighty strong (just look at the bubble wall that was going yesterday in Toad Man), but I feel that it's speed is ineffective at hitting a target unless they're moving toward you(or you wall it). The weapons I listed all have their uses; I've killed with Gemini and Cracker before, but imo they are mostly dependent on the area they're being used in. If Gemini's not in a narrow-hallway area, it loses most of its usefulness- to me the strength only comes from recoil shots. Sure, variability in the environment affects all weapons, but to me the C-tier weapons are affected the most(and why I agree with Napalm being C-tier).  If the area wasn't a factor, Super Arm could easily move up(with OHKO potential in it).

Part of it is like you said: you're doing it by 'earning tier placements' but I would put it more distribution style. Or I just think that megabuster at C is too nice. >.>

March 15, 2011, 02:11:17 AM
Reply #13

Offline Alucard

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 01:20:17 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/MetalMephiles9000
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 02:11:17 AM »
You should review the IGMetalblade for the lulz. :p

March 15, 2011, 02:28:54 AM
Reply #14