Advanced Search

Author Topic: [New Sprites Suggestion] Rotund Item Icons  (Read 2400 times)

March 14, 2023, 01:29:46 PM
Read 2400 times

Offline __Sidle

• Standard Member

• salutations and stuff~ .w.
  • Date Registered: September 15, 2020, 11:47:30 AM

• View Profile
[New Sprites Suggestion] Rotund Item Icons
« on: March 14, 2023, 01:29:46 PM »
I've wanted to suggest some new visuals to potentially help newer players remember and recognize their kit easier: making the icons for weapon/item tokens distinct from each other.

All of the items that were previously in a normal box are rotund, similar to the Beat letters of MM5. Most of the original art can be cropped into this new form with little hassle, but not all.

(click to show/hide)

I believe that having items and weps in different "containers," in addition to the more varied artwork ends up making them much more identifiable at a glance than they are currently.

Test it out in-game at your own leisure!
https://allfearthesentinel.com/zandronum/download.php?file=rotund.item.icons_rev01.pk3

March 15, 2023, 11:09:55 PM
Reply #1

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: [New Sprites Suggestion] Rotund Item Icons
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 11:09:55 PM »
While I definitely agree that items should have some sort of indicator that visually distinguishes them from normal weapons, I don't like the one proposed here. The circles look a bit awkward at such a low resolution, many icons had to be retrofitted to make them work with some still looking a bit rough around the edges, and I also generally don't think the circles make sense with the rest of the UI's rectangular design.

Campaign already has a half-solution for this, as all infinite use items have a gold border. To throw my hat into the ring, I would personally just want to continue that and simply recolor the border of items to something different from the weapon icons. Below, I recolored all the borders to the peach that the HP bar uses, since that's where these items end up appearing in the UI once you've picked them up.