Advanced Search

Author Topic: Is MM8BDM dead yet? And is NS cancer to GVH?  (Read 39496 times)

December 04, 2011, 08:20:09 AM
Read 39496 times

Offline TERRORsphere

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 22, 2009, 08:45:17 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DoomThroughDoom
Is MM8BDM dead yet? And is NS cancer to GVH?
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »
I personally believe that MM8BDM is dying. The most players I ever see looking through Doomseeker never extends out from 1 server, this is different to how it was 6 months ago at this games peak. Back then, servers were sometimes full with 32 legit players which is actually rare anywhere in Skulltag. I think that the future of MM8BDM is done, there will be no more. It's over, unless people start playing more. Maybe people don't advertise enouph? Even though the Youtube vid on Cutmanmike's channel has a ton of views and the game is easy to setup. There's not many players. Even I don't play MM8BDM, I much prefer Doom, less spamming involved with weapons intended for a FPS game rather than a side scroller.

I personally no longer feel part of this community any more either, I'm not even that active any more. (I'm less active on the Doom side of Skulltag too). It's changed a lot since 2009 where the topics would be about Cutmanmike's mods such as GvH which is now a finished mod thanks to CarThief. (Unfortuatly cancer like the "The Nordic Saga" project is adding shit that GvH doesn't need or add better gameplay).

There's also drama going on in the Doom part of Skulltag too, here's a link: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30314

Another reason I don't feel welcome here: I feel uncomfortable around players that get offended easily.

December 04, 2011, 08:50:02 AM
Reply #1

Offline ice

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 05, 2010, 05:09:31 PM

• View Profile
Re: Is MM8BDM dead yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »
Sadly, I feel the same way. I've been trying to find a way to bring back interest but with poor results. one factor is due to the lack of game modes. Messatsu seems to insist on only hosting rage roboenza and other overplayed modes, personaly, I'd prefer if vanilla (hates that term) modes were hosted again

(on a unrelated note, CMM gave me the green light to go beyond that if you know what I mean)

December 04, 2011, 08:52:08 AM
Reply #2

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:52:08 AM »
It's not ENTIRELY dead yet. There's still about 75-100 players total that still care about this game. But yeah, it seems like there are a lot less players than usual. You know what we need? A gimmicky marketing campaign to get the word out about this relatively unique FPS. I think we should make someone popular post more about this game. Hmmmmmm....
I remember Vardoc bringing me in, and I remember the roboenza videos that brought more people in. So how about we make someone incredibly popular on the internet mention this game? But who.....
Better yet, how about we all chip in and see if we can try and spread the word out about the game by making videos and crazy moments in this game, similar to what's been done before. We can get that going, and in the meantime we can try and create a custom server broswer for MM8BDM servers inside the MM8BDM launcher itself so that people aren't required to get doomseeker. Or maybe, we can go to Megaman forums and advertise this game a bit so that people get interested. Worse case scenario is that one of us starts a thread on /v/ and it results in a giant shitstorm.
Don't worry TERRORSphere, I won't let this game die on me. At least, not until AMP2 comes out. After that, to hell with you guys, I'm out of here.

December 04, 2011, 10:31:37 AM
Reply #3

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
My servers a kinda dead I guess....
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
I do try to host other game modes such as Mafia and Timed based 4-team deathmatchs and stuff, but most of the time, people don't show up. If they did, we would defiantly have less people filling up the bot apoc and proboenza servers.

I remember the good old days when everyone stuck with the game modes, skins and maps that we used to have. Especially the skins. All this random touhou flooding the game completely defeats the purpose of "The whole point of this game is to play as your favourite robot master". After the outbreak of custom skins, who actually does that? Sure we have Savior using Elecman, me using Quickman, and YD using Hardman, but be honest, how many of us actually play as our favourite robot master?

Speaking of that, I still need to get back to hosting that "No custom skins" deathmatch server that I thought of ages ago. But yeah, now that I think of it, no one will join -_-

December 04, 2011, 11:22:58 AM
Reply #4

Offline KillerChair

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 24, 2010, 11:27:42 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/pixellerate
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
I kinda agree on this.
Its too bad that most people that were really active at the start barely even pop up in servers anymore.
And heck... I personally play once a week/once in 2 weeks even though i really like this game.

Also i agree on the part that there are more people that get offended easily these days.
I dont know if anyone notices, But ive been posting a lot less since a couple of months.

Ive been telling lots of friends about this game and only 3 of them started playing (not even online)

Like i said before.
I am planning on setting up a small youtube channel playing games with a friend of mine and showing stuff off.
I wanted to play 8BDM every now and then for this too and hope it will get us a few more people.

(click to show/hide)

December 04, 2011, 03:27:22 PM
Reply #5

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
Host some TLMS.

Then I'll play this game again.

December 04, 2011, 03:49:15 PM
Reply #6

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
About the advertising, I want to make a spanish MM8BDM forum but I'll have to ask CutManMike first.
Also without new mods/skins/maps this would've died long ago. (Well, I still use crashman's skin despite I made "Laggy Blazko" skins for CSCC)

December 04, 2011, 04:17:16 PM
Reply #7

Offline Jc494

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: February 23, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
I have to disagree. The only reason is because most of us here are teens who have to go to school and put up with it. During summer we are free and play MM8BDM 24/7.

December 04, 2011, 04:34:02 PM
Reply #8

Offline WheelieCarbonate

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 04, 2011, 07:51:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Corvus"
I have to disagree. The only reason is because most of us here are teens who have to go to school and put up with it. During summer we are free and play MM8BDM 24/7.
Quote from: "LlamaHombre"
Host some TLMS.

My honest opinion on the situation.

December 04, 2011, 04:39:34 PM
Reply #9

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 04:39:34 PM »
Quote from: "TERRORsphere"
Maybe people don't advertise enouph?

I think this is a big thing, it's curious to see how many people have heard of all the oh so amazing megaman fangames that aren't even out yet, yet they have no idea what MM8BDM is. I'm not sure what else we can do in that regard though.

Another big thing is the lack of vanilla servers. If one was to download and attempt to play MM8BDM online, they'd get fed up of trying to download 80MB+ PWADs just to get into a server. I can count ONE vanilla server up at the moment, and it's empty. Don't get me wrong, modding keeps the community going, but without some kind of idiot-proof way to get online and play against people, there's not much we can do.

I did once try to make my own launcher with a friendly client that did everything for you, but I couldn't grasp how the launchers receive information from the skulltag master. I think this would be a big step forward in getting MM8BDM noticed, a "relaunch" if you will.

Lastly, I haven't given up on MM8BDM. There are still things in the works.

December 04, 2011, 04:59:09 PM
Reply #10

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
Quote from: "LlamaHombre"
Host some TLMS.

My wish has been answered

Vanilla TLMS up.

December 04, 2011, 05:44:38 PM
Reply #11

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 13, 2009, 03:06:04 PM

• View Profile
    • http://minimega.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »
Give me one more week. ONE MORE WEEK.

Then I'll be playing this for like...a week until school starts again!

December 04, 2011, 05:55:03 PM
Reply #12

Offline Nostalgia

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2011, 12:03:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Corvus"
Quoted for truth, yo.

December 04, 2011, 06:31:31 PM
Reply #13

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
There really are a lot less people playing this game. Even during the Summer break earlier this year, not many people were in servers. I'm trying to do everything I can to preserve interest. I play whenever I have the free time, I make skins and maps, and I also upload some videos to youtube.

If some of the custom expansions get finished, maybe activity would boost a bit.

December 04, 2011, 06:31:57 PM
Reply #14

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 06:31:57 PM »
Lack of servers is the prime reason. Almost everyone is hosting classes. If we had some of the other modes hosted, that would bring more people online. I'd definitely be up for some good old LMS or CTF myself, maybe even Possession. I only do Bot Apoc since it's the only mode online I find fun. I would try to host myself, but my router's security prevents me from doing so.

I can always record more videos for my Youtube Channel, though it's not quite as popular as you guys might hope for (it is on the rise in popularity, though, almost 3,000 subscribers).