Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch > DECORATE and ACS Modifications

MM8BDM Weapon Competiton #1 - THE WINNER

(1/31) > >>

CutmanMike:
It's over! Let's do a quick overview of all the weapons I received. I'm proud of all those who gave it a go. I hope you all learned a thing or two about making weapons in Skulltag, and get inspired to do more and help other users out who have questions!

To give these a try, open the launcher, add the file and use "Give all" to find the new weapon. You CANNOT use more than one of these files at a time however.

ENTRIES (in no partic order):

DTD - Flame Rail: This weapon charges up like the BFG in Doom and pretty much deals out the same amount of pain... if it connects. You can hold the charge and it seems to send players sky high if you don't hit them directly!
Yellow Devil - Flamethrower: This is a flamethrower type weapon that spreads fire rapidly in front of you (but has a very long range!). The altfire throws OHKO tackle fires but we weren't judging for altfires.
Blaze - Solar Mine: This weapon creates huge balls of fire that linger around in the map and damage any enemies that happen to run into them. They last forever (I think) and hurt like crazy.
tsukiyomaru0 - Gun De Sol: When the fire button is tapped you fire fast projectiles, but if you hold it you create a sort of beam shield that damages enemies (but blocks your view). It eats ammo like no tomorrow though!
Lio - Will-O-Wisp Knife: This weapon is a knife with ghostly properties. It can be charged for 3 different attacks. Without a charge it fires a ghostly projectile. Second charge fires a bigger more damaging projectile. The final charge uses the knife as a melee attack, which can murder people!
Kapus - Flame Shield: This weapon is a bit buggy (crashed me on few occasions) but I get the premise of it. It's supposed to be the flame shield from sonic 3. It hurts players while it's active, and pressing the fire button charges you forward like charge kick (I couldn't tell if it did extra damage in this state).
TheBladeRoden - Fire Flower: It's the Fire Flower from Mario! This weapon fires the iconic bouncing fireballs from super mario bros. They can be thrown upward/downward but always have the same bouncing height once they land.
MagnetMan497 - Flame Knife: This weapon had some problems, I had to manually go in and fix a few things before I could play it properly. Anyway this is another knife weapon that is thrown.

Once all the entries were obtained, I sat down and tried each one out. I tested them with bots and with a human player online to see which one felt like it belonged in MM8BDM based on balance, look and feel.

And the winner is.... *drumroll*

(click to show/hide)TheBladeRoden's Fire Flower!

Why it won:

I am not a nintendo fan boy. I chose this weapon because of how well it worked in game. It's like a more reliable Bubble Lead, but weaker/faster. Throwing it off cliffs does not cause the bouncing fireballs to bounce all over the place (like napalm bomb), making it one of the best weapons for spamming robots below cliffs or down stairs. It wasn't too overpowered, and it had plenty of ammo to balance that fact. The fireball sprites themselves, despite being so small, also have directions which I didn't notice until someone was chucking them back at my face. Some of the other weapons had better sprites or a more unique take on the fire aspect, but this one I felt I could have chucked in MM8BDM right off the bat without tweaking it in any shape or form (except maybe to get rid of that startup error  :p ).
If you didn't win, don't worry! I enjoyed playing with all the entries and was surprised how unique some of them were. Keep it up, ask for help if you need to, learn more cool tricks and I'll see you next weapon compo!  :mrgreen:

Old info here:
(click to show/hide)In an attempt to get people on board with creating their own weapons, here's a weapon competition to get you inspired!

You are competing to get this medal:

This competition involves making a fire type weapon. There are no specifics for how the weapon works, it can do anything but it has to do with fire, flames, blazes, burning, sizzling, whatever!

RULES:
Submissions must contain ONE new weapon that can be run with MM8BDM launcher (via add file).
 The weapon MUST use new sprites (you may use MM8BDM sprites for effects such as napalm bomb explosion etc)!
 As said, the weapon has to do with fire, but it can do anything you like. Naturally it has to look 8-bit.
 Sounds can be used from MM8BDM but you may use your own.
 Only one submission per user!
 Weapons cannot be posted here until the competition is over (feel free to post screenshots)!
 No MM7-10 weapons please!
 You can include a test map but it will not be judged

Submissions are to be sent to me via PM. I will judge the weapons personally based on creativity, looks and how balanced they feel. I will stop collecting submissions on the 22nd of January, and the winner will be announced shortly after.

Learn how to make weapons here

Good luck! Feel free to ask questions about the rules, or editing questions here!

Hallan Parva:
If someone helps you out with the weapon a lot, do TWO people get the medal?

Max:
I can't enter the Solar Blaze, can I?

:P

Ivory:
Sounds fun. I love making new weapons in Doom. Once I get done with map project this weekend(if everything works well), I'll give it a shot.

Korby:
We're all doomed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version