Advanced Search

Author Topic: SSP_DRSG_v3A Is here :D (Plz Host)  (Read 26887 times)

July 18, 2011, 09:27:33 AM
Reply #15

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: SSP_DRSG_vA1 Rereleased :D
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
Quote from: "xxkirbysonicxx1"
I give this map pack a 5 Star rating!

But I did find a few errors.

Error #1: DSRG01 Has an incomplete bsp tree.
Error #2: DSRG02's boss theme fades in the end. (If this is not an error, correct me.)
Error #3: Where are the ctf maps?!
Error #2010: In COLD02 you can't slip on the ice. What did you do?!
Error #5: In COLD03 is the other thing a slide? Or at least a shortcut to the bottom? (not the big one. the little one.)

#1:...I dont actually know what a bsp tree is.
#2: Its not really an error. I just decided to go with it. (Funny story, i didnt edit half the songs i had, they were already like that)
#3: Somthing was wrong with the levels pack but i be sure to fix it.
#2010?: I didnt do anything. Somethings wrong with it. The water acks like doom water.
#5: Its more of a shortcut (Im changeing the music there later. Couldent find anything to fit it.)

Il fix these things during the next update.

July 18, 2011, 10:06:28 AM
Reply #16

Offline Jc494

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: February 23, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
Quote from: "Duora Super Gyro"
Quote from: "xxkirbysonicxx1"
I give this map pack a 5 Star rating!

But I did find a few errors.

Error #1: DSRG01 Has an incomplete bsp tree.
Error #2: DSRG02's boss theme fades in the end. (If this is not an error, correct me.)
Error #3: Where are the ctf maps?!
Error #2010: In COLD02 you can't slip on the ice. What did you do?!
Error #5: In COLD03 is the other thing a slide? Or at least a shortcut to the bottom? (not the big one. the little one.)

#1:...I dont actually know what a bsp tree is.
#2: Its not really an error. I just decided to go with it. (Funny story, i didnt edit half the songs i had, they were already like that)
#3: Somthing was wrong with the levels pack but i be sure to fix it.
#2010?: I didnt do anything. Somethings wrong with it. The water acks like doom water.
#5: Its more of a shortcut (Im changeing the music there later. Couldent find anything to fit it.)

Il fix these things during the next update.

... Why did you make a topic in the WIP Forum, when you released it?

July 18, 2011, 10:09:28 AM
Reply #17

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 10:09:28 AM »
I couldent find the "New Topic" Button in the projects section.
I was hoping someone would move it. But, until that happens, i guess it will be here.

July 18, 2011, 04:50:28 PM
Reply #18

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
*sighs* does anyone reason the stickies?
You are supposed to request it to be moved to a moderator as I'm not going to magically know if you want this moved or not. Anyways I'll move it.

July 21, 2011, 09:54:33 PM
Reply #19

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
Thanks Ivory. And remember this: There are secrets in the levels that can lead to some awsome stuff.
And on the next update. There will be three hidden yasichis in every deathmatch stage (Not The Cold Stages)
Find all three in a stage and i will show you a secret.

July 26, 2011, 05:49:15 PM
Reply #20

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »
DRSG01: Why low gravity? When I put gravity to 2000, the map became more interesting. Right now it has the slow drawl of Dive Man or Bubble Man. The layout "makes sense" as in most of the jumps are do-able in normal gravity and you would be required to do them one at a time. In water physics you can jump over entire stairs and get the Gravity Hold in one swoop (making Item-1 useless)! It's highly amusing to get Gravity Held by a bot, I'll admit. There is one "long jump" that connects two areas (it's near flame blast and possibly GHold, iirc) that isn't possible in low-gravity without Item-1, which would add more utility to Item-1. If you don't place gravity to normal, the item-1 is entirely useless for platforming (and also not hidden at all).

Weapon and item placement could be a bit more through here. One, there are no small weapon energy or small health capsules. Use them! They should be more prominent than the large capsules, and usually grouped in groups of 2-4, usually by walls.

(click to show/hide)

Mainly the point is that weapons and items *generally* need to be out of the way, not littered across the map. Some weapons can go in the center of areas, but usually not powerful ones. (Super Arm is probably the biggest offender here). What surprises me is you have most of the lethal one-hit kill weapons: Atomic Fire, Super Arm, Power Stone, Slash Claw... then Thunder Bolt? That thing will never get any use. Drop it for Elec Beam (or anything not so weak). There's an abundance of shield weapons. Star Crash and Scorch Wheel both remove Junk Shield, so they're useless in the long run (Junk Shield is rarely ever worth discarding). In normal/high gravity Gravity Hold will probably lose some use, so you could consider it with another "coveted" weapon or item - Super Adaptor, or Mirror Buster would be very interesting. (Mirror Buster also destroys Junk Shield, but it would protect you better from the numerous OHKO weapons in the map)

Boss music isn't looped. If you can, try and find 8-bit renditions of your songs (just search for famitracker covers) to get a more "8-bit/Mega Man" feel.

Also the skybox texture looks odd in Open GL. Right above the "space station" or whatnot in the background, there's some sort of dividing line that separates the textures. Not sure if it's fixable and it's only a aesthetic issue, anyway.

DRSG02: I try to avoid talking about textures, but a few really bug me here. Gravity Dark isn't really a good death-pit indicator; I'd use lava, spikes, water, or even just plain black. The walls next to Eddie seem incorrectly offset by just a hair (maybe a few pixels or so) - they don't meet the floor at "the line". The deathpit with Gravity Dark is also a bit unnecessarily deep. Life/energy placement is better in this map but about 90% of them need to replaced with *small* health/weapon energy. Gravity Hold also has no "barriers" that prevent people from getting it right away, which is a bit of problem, and Top Spin is even worse! Putting Top Spin in the Gravity Hold spot makes more sense. If you're standing at Eddie and facing Gravity Hold, you've got two potential "power items" right there. If you want to keep Gravity Hold you could add an area left (between the three pillars) that's very tall and put it there.

DRSG03: It's "Nature's Best". Next to Crystal Eye there's this awkward deadspace; probably just should cut it. Same energy problem, replace 90-100% of the health and weapon energy with the small version. The E-tanks should be replaced as they're relatively easy to get; W-Tanks or even large capsules would be a better fit. Rolling Cutter is the only leaf shield piercer here; I'd recommend adding 1-3 more. Shadow Blade is obvious, Pharoah Shot or another "fire" weapon would work as well.

DRSG04: The hallways are wicked cramped and difficult. Expand them (I'd double the size) so you have a little legroom and you're not shoving up against walls/ceilings so much. Thunder Bolt is a generally useless weapon; dust crusher a little less so; but Atomic Fire and Water Wave/Search Snake would fit in this map much better. (Lightning Bolt, on the other hand) The main "outside area" (with thunder bolt) could actually be a little less flat; weapons like Super Arm seem to be unnecessarily hidden. Music loop is non-existent.

DRSG05: Nothing at the top!? Bummer! (I was really expecting G Hold by this point) Once again, less big healths. None of the ice actually makes you slip (not sure if intentional). Generally in player-accessible areas, you want the trees down to a minimum. In fact, the walls surrounding the Knight Crush actually would make more sense impassible, if not for "Teleporter Island". This is an interesting concept. At the very least, I would make the teleporters one-way (you can only teleport through the island once) You would change the destinations to the "flat" teleporter floor. However to me it's largely confusing, as there's no easy way to tell which teleporter goes where. You could try changing the floor beneath each teleporter to match the destination (e.g. the one that goes on a shed would have a shed tile beneath it) although I'm just not a huge fan of it. If you removed it you could make more of the walls in this map that are tree-heavy impassable. (alternatively, remove trees to make it less cluttered) You could take a lot of liberty with making outer-wall areas impassable. The "sinking" death effect sort of reduces the use of Skull Barrier a lot (it's impossible to escape without Rush Coil). However, since Skull Barrier is present, you could add weapon energy underwater to use it. (Oil Slider would also be really cool to go "on" the water; not sure how interested you are in custom weapons).

DRSG06: Oil pits need to be changed to black or something. This map is actually surprisingly flat and wide! Add a little more depth, something simple like a higher elevation along the walls (think Cossack Citadel, or Mr. X) would help out here a bunch. There's a "dead room" that has nothing but two bighealths; something like a weapon on a platform would fit better. Also a random blue section in a wall outside of Rushjet. This map still seems incomplete in terms of layout; try and flesh out the wide, flat areas with a second elevated section.

DRSG07: Lots of inaccessible weapons that are WEAKER than the ones on the ground. Pharoah Shot, Crystal Eye, Proto/Bass easy to get. Gemini, Needle, Slash, Charge Kick inaccessible- it should be the other way around. Replace bighealths/big energies as usual. Don't reeeally like this map... I'll return to this one and the rest later.

DRSG08: Here's the first thing that came to mind.

(click to show/hide)

August 01, 2011, 07:24:51 PM
Reply #21

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »
I took some of your advice Ice-IX.
The next version will be here very soon.
Check the first post for it.

August 03, 2011, 02:43:09 AM
Reply #22

Offline Kage

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 11, 2011, 04:45:35 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/kagegamer12
Re: SSP_DRSG_vB2 Is here :D
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 02:43:09 AM »
Well after looking around those maps for most of the night and the whole morning after downloading the map pack, I manage to find every yashichi except one and I will send you a pm with a link shortly showing the location of almost every yashichi in the DRSG maps. However, I couldn't find or even get to two of the yashichis through normal means and I'll describe what I mean in more detail in that pm so that I don't publicly spoil the location of those yashichis to everyone else.

*btw did any of the yashichi's locations change in version B2?

August 03, 2011, 10:09:13 AM
Reply #23

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
No. All yasichis stay in the same spot.

August 03, 2011, 05:12:11 PM
Reply #24

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »
None of the ice levels have any actual ice physics.

August 06, 2011, 07:14:59 PM
Reply #25

Offline Trollman

• Standard Member

• The elusive BOXARTMAN makes an appearance!
  • Date Registered: April 16, 2011, 02:16:41 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:59 PM »
LOLZ pixie worlds looks like if it was built in minecraft. Anyway I am going to download it to see how it is

August 06, 2011, 08:17:23 PM
Reply #26

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
Wait What?
*Looks at a picture of Minecraft*
Wow... Thats wierd... I looked online for some textures and found that.
Didnt know it was from Mine Craft... Im probably gonna rename it if it looks like minecraft.

Edit: Minecraft makes me think of little big planet.

August 13, 2011, 12:12:01 PM
Reply #27

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
Double post:
Can You guys please use my wad in the servers, I really want to be able to play my wad online.
Plus the levels are good for most games. just dont do roboezna at Shiver Peak

August 14, 2011, 03:59:05 AM
Reply #28

Offline LifeCraft J

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 13, 2011, 05:52:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 03:59:05 AM »
On my gosh... I have never seen SUCH great weapon balance and map layout!
Bravo sir!!
(there are a few flaws, but they are minor)

August 14, 2011, 04:39:22 AM
Reply #29

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 04:56:24 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 04:39:22 AM »
Some of the best CTF maps I've ever seen. using the Doom water physics does seem a bit odd in this game, but my only complaint is that some of the CTF maps feel short. Try extending the middle section a bit on the maps.

(September 4, 2011) EDIT: If there is a link for 3A, Why does the topic still say v_B2? What is the newer version, and what are the changes?