Advanced Search

Author Topic: Federation farce?  (Read 6248 times)

June 18, 2015, 07:00:04 AM
Read 6248 times

Offline Ehibika

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 15, 2015, 06:43:37 PM

• View Profile
Federation farce?
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:00:04 AM »
So, while I missed E3, I got myself up to speed on things and learned about how kinda "meh" the nintendo event largely was, especially in comparison to it's event before E3, but there was one title that has brought it's own Fanbase to a raging boil, Metroid prime: Federation force.

As far as I know, it is a co-op FPS in style of the Metroid prime games with the aim of characterizing the galactic federation, a plot element in the Metroid games that has remained largely out of focus due to the focus naturally being on Samus and her exploits. it also has a sort of gun soccer game mode with seemed...*Eh* to me, probably because it feels like it would lack depth, and also that it felt like something we could easily mod in doom itself if we wanted. But the key problem with this title is the clear absence of Samus within it, which makes it feel somewhat less like a Metroid game. that combined with the fact that we haven't had a core Metroid game, let alone a universally loved one; in years has enraged the fanbase to the point of actually starting a petition to cancel the game. and as of posting, is already at 12k signatures!

What do you all make of this? Admitingly I'm not much of a Metroid fan so my feelings towards the game are largely indifferent, but the fact that a petition is being made against it is disgusting to me. rather than communicating their disdain by just not buying it, they are actively trying to stop it's production altogether. it's an attempt at strong arming the company in order to bend them to the people's will. It just comes off as uncivilized, and if made a habit of, could be destructive to the field of gaming or entertainment at large.

...Thought I might be acting a bit extreme in that regard, I mean it's only a list of signatures, albeit a massive one. and there's no global law that states that if over a thousand people want you to do something then you must comply. Still, I worry that this may give an inaccurate impression that there would be no audience for the product, and thus no money to be made from it.

June 18, 2015, 05:46:26 PM
Reply #1

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
Re: Federation farce?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:46:26 PM »
The Metroid Prime universe is done, it's finished, it's story arc was culminated. There is no need to revisit it, other than with these kinds of side games. Federation Force looks ok.

These Metroid "fans" are looking like a bunch of whiners to me, but it makes contextual sense. After all, the franchise's 30th anniversary is coming, so it makes sense to expect something bigger than a side game. Their reaction would be understandable...if it wasn't so childish. You know there's some really stupid logic in there when change.org is involved.

I can safely say Nintendo will not relegate one of its oldest franchises with just a side game, so I expect a new Metroid game to already be in the works, and soon to be announced in one of those Nintendo Directs where they do big announcements nowadays instead of big gaming conferences.

Also, don't we have a Metroid topic to discuss Metroid stuff already?

June 18, 2015, 06:08:19 PM
Reply #2

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 06:08:19 PM »
"Ya'll self entitled bitches better chill the fuck out"

There's a fun summary and my sentiment on this whole thing. Give the game a chance.

June 18, 2015, 08:16:54 PM
Reply #3

Offline Ehibika

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 15, 2015, 06:43:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
I'm clinging to hope that Nintendo will have greater plans for the Metroid franchise as well, they've shown time and time again that they do indeed listen to their fans. Who knows? they may even try a super metroid style game again if there's interest in non linear action platformers.

I also hope that Federation Force does some interesting stuff with the co-op aspect, like maybe have a boss monster with impenetrable hide but a weakness that has to be peeled open with the grapple beam, thus one player has to expose it for the rest of the team to open fire while the opportunity is present.

Also, there wasn't a general Metroid thread on the first page so I just made a new thread to avoid Necrobumping.

June 19, 2015, 02:56:25 PM
Reply #4

Offline Blutorus

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 07, 2014, 03:02:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:56:25 PM »
I'm not a huge Metroid fan, but I'd probably be upset about the game too, just not as butthurt. That doesn't mean that every complainer can be so whiny about it, though. They should be giving Nintendo a chance and not jump to conclusions based on 50 seconds of gameplay.

But who am I kidding?

June 19, 2015, 09:57:10 PM
Reply #5

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 09:57:10 PM »
Quote from: "Rozark Kyouko"
Ya'll self entitled bitches better chill the fuck out
Damn fucking straight.

These people with the petition need to cut the shit and vote with their wallet, not with their e-peens.

June 19, 2015, 10:48:16 PM
Reply #6

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »
My favorite part is how everyone is acting like this video game personally stabbed your mother in the chest.
Fifty times.

Who the hell cares? If you don't like it, don't buy it. (I personally couldn't care less about this game. It's a game that doesn't look interesting to me, woop dee doo. Let's go burn down the world for RUINING METROID FASDFSAFSADFL;DSAKFJ)

June 23, 2015, 07:30:42 AM
Reply #7

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 07:30:42 AM »
I can't even get the game since I don't own a 3DS, but I honestly don't understand the backlash Nintendo is getting. If anything I'd say this could be a welcome side track of the story, since hardly anything in the Metroid Universe ever gets covered without Samus getting involved. I guess it's a good thing I never really read the news anyway. I have seen a lot of negativity in the gaming industry recently. Maybe it was for the best I'm stuck in the Gamecube/DS era...

June 23, 2015, 04:09:09 PM
Reply #8

Offline Jdude330

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 22, 2013, 12:57:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »
OOOOOOOO MYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOSH.

How to appease fans:
1. Add samus's face to the character
2. Make blastball an unrelated bonus game. (remove the  Metroid Prime: from the title)

then ALL THE FANS will shadapp?

that's my take on it.
I've played all the Metroid prims, and this looks EXACTLY like an upgrade of hunters.

so why all the hate?

June 23, 2015, 10:02:25 PM
Reply #9

Offline sa173533

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 18, 2014, 02:01:12 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 10:02:25 PM »
Quote from: "Jdude330"
that's my take on it.
I've played all the Metroid prims, and this looks EXACTLY like an upgrade of hunters.

so why all the hate?

I think this all stems from a number of different factors.

1: Metroid fans have been waiting for a new game for 5 (or, if Other M didn't count, 8) years and Nintendo had revealed this instead of a new Metroid Prime game (Although, with the speculations of the next Metroid Prime game probably being made on the NX, this would calm people down a bit and give Nintendo a reason why they did make Federation Force...).

2: You don't play as Samus in the Multiplayer, instead, you play as Federation soldiers. However, with the anouncement of Samus being in the game and, thanks to this evidence, being in a playable state, fans will have to wait until they get it in their hands to see if it is good or not.

3: Blast Ball. What more do I have to say?

Those are just three factors of why this spinoff of the Metroid Prime series is getting much hate.