Advanced Search

Author Topic: [INSTALL] Installing MM8BDM on Mac OSX  (Read 20139 times)

October 27, 2010, 10:21:41 PM
Read 20139 times

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
[INSTALL] Installing MM8BDM on Mac OSX
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »
Hello! As I don't actually own a Mac I still have no idea how to do this. Sorry! I did ask for Mac users to step forth and help me out with this but no one really sat down and gave it a proper go, except for Hawkman who managed to get it running using WINE.

Anyway, I'll try my best to point you in the right direction. If you have any better luck, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD POST HOW YOU GOT IT RUNNING, IT WILL HELP YOUR FELLOW MAC BRETHREN!

First, go download MM8BDM.

You can grab the correct version of Skulltag for Mac OSX here.

That's all I got. Sorry! You might want to try your luck with the OLD tutorial for installing the SGC demo.

Here's Hawkman's comments using WINE and the windows version (included in the MM8BDM zip file):

Currently I'm just running the PC version of MM8BDM on my Mac using a program called Darwine http://darwine.sourceforge.net/

I keep getting crashes if I play single player too long but Multiplayer runs like a dream. Great for anyone looking for a temporary solution. I did have to fiddle with display options a bit. You need to tell Darwine to emulate a desktop of your chosen resolution (1024x768 for me) and when the game is up change its native resolution to be the same (thus taking up the entire darwine window). For some reason it doesn't like to run full screen.

October 28, 2010, 09:02:11 PM
Reply #1

Anonymous

Re: [INSTALL] Installing MM8BDM on Mac OSX
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »
I was able to get it running on my machine, by following the direction of the old tutorial.

I can post exactly what I did to get it running, but I pretty much just followed the old tutorial.

The main problem I ran into was skulltag failing on every start. It kept giving me the same error:

/Users/blzut3/Code/svnteam/Skulltag-hg/build/snes_spc/libsnes_spc.dylib does not exists.

That is not my username, and I think that may have been the problem. Why is skulltag looking for this here?

I created this entire folder structure (I hate that) and it runs now.

Anyone know why this is?

October 28, 2010, 09:05:06 PM
Reply #2

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »
Quote from: "partkyle"
I was able to get it running on my machine, by following the direction of the old tutorial.

I can post exactly what I did to get it running, but I pretty much just followed the old tutorial.

The main problem I ran into was skulltag failing on every start. It kept giving me the same error:

/Users/blzut3/Code/svnteam/Skulltag-hg/build/snes_spc/libsnes_spc.dylib does not exists.

That is not my username, and I think that may have been the problem. Why is skulltag looking for this here?

I created this entire folder structure (I hate that) and it runs now.

Anyone know why this is?

blzut3 is the name of a forum user, he may be the one who compiled it. I shall ask.

If you could write a step by step for now, that would be great!

October 29, 2010, 03:16:46 AM
Reply #3

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 03:16:46 AM »
Tried doing that, creating that exact directory just like you did, but I'm still getting a problem. Did you do anything funny to the snes_spc.dll file beyond renaming it libsnes_spc.dylib?

October 29, 2010, 06:01:38 PM
Reply #4

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »
Here is what I have worked out so far.

Download the MM8BDM-v1b.zip file from the main page http://cutstuff.net/blog/?page_id=1490 and unzip it.

Download the latest skulltag http://skulltag.net/download/files/testing/98d/SkullDev98d-2999macosx.dmg and drag it to your applications.

You will also need DoomSeeker - you can find that here http://www.skulltag.com/download/files/doomseeker/doomseeker-0.6b_macosx.dmg

Now, you need to open up the Skulltag app.
    Right click on it and select "Show Package Contents.
    [*}Navigate to Contents/MacOS
    You will see three files, copy "skulltag_data.pk3" and "skulltag.pk3" from the MM8BDM-v1b.zip file here and overwrite them.

Now you need to set up your WAD files.
    Create a folder in your user folder "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/ZDoom/"
    Copy "megaggame.wad" and "MM8BDM-v1b.pk3" to this folder

Now you need to set up Doomseeker.
    Open Doomseeker and Open the preference pane (command+,)
    Underneath Engines click "Skulltag" and change "Path to client Binary" to the app you installed (it should read "/Applications/Skulltag.app")
    Change "file paths" and add the IWAD and PWAD paths. It should be the same as above: "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/ZDoom/"

This is the tricky part. If you try to join a game with doomseeker Skulltag will crash. You need to set up a file in the user directory (this is an issue, and I don't know who to contact about that):
    You need to first create the folder: "/Users/blzut3/Code/svnteam/Skulltag-hg/build/snes_spc/"
    You can do this easily with a terminal command (Note: this will only work if you are the computer's Administrator, and you have a password set out your account. Otherwise you need to create the folders one at a time) run "sudo mkdir -p /Users/blzut3/Code/svnteam/Skulltag-hg/build/snes_spc/" (it will prompt for your password)
     open the folder (if you used terminal, just type "open !$" and hit enter)
     now that it's created, go back to the "Show Package Contents" of the Skulltag app.
     Navigate to "Contents/Frameworks"
     Copy the "libsnes_spc.dylib" to the directory you just created in the previous steps.

You should now be able to join a multiplayer game using Doomseeker. Enjoy.

October 29, 2010, 10:53:01 PM
Reply #5

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »
Partkyle, you are a GENIUS!!! Now if only I actually had any time to play this weekend -_-;;;

November 02, 2010, 10:30:37 PM
Reply #6

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »
Hi Partkyle,

Sorry, but that didn't workout for me.

I followed your guidelines, but Skulltag keeps crashing on me.

Running directly or using Doomseeker, I'm getting the following error:
Code: [Select]
LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/Skulltag.app.
Using OS X Leopard 10.5.8

Thanks.

November 21, 2010, 03:57:21 PM
Reply #7

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »
Hey guys and hoi CutmanMike!

I've been super excited yesterday when I saw that MM8BDM is finaly released.
Lots of props to you CutmanMike for all the effort and most important having the idea in the first place.

Now to the obvious reason writing here.
I sit in front of my MacBook (Intel, OS X 10.5.8) and followed the tutorials about installing MM8BDM, both the one provided by partkyle and the demo one.

I am encountering the same problem as Feyrbrand.
As soon as I try to connect to a server using Doomsecker, Skulltag fires up and crashed a second later.
My knowledge about Skulltag is equal to non-existent.

Long story short, just like to let you know that it's also not working for me.  :cry:

I asked my friends if anybody got a clue and will post here as soon as there's a change to the current situation.

Cheers

December 03, 2010, 01:21:30 AM
Reply #8

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
Hey, partkyle. i followed your instructions, untill the part where you said it was tricky, near the end. I cant seem to get it to work. I used terminal, but it wont work. i typed in "open !$" in new command and after 'process completed.' nothing worked. i would try to create the file w/out terminal, but i cant figure out how. HELP I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME!!!!!!

March 20, 2011, 05:29:26 AM
Reply #9

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 05:29:26 AM »
Hey. I have a mac with OSX and I got this all working. Doomseeker, Skulltag, the whole thing. I just followed the instructions as posted above. But I can only play single player or local/offline death matches. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to join an online game and play against random online users?
Also, I got Doomseeker to be able to search for WADs and download them to skulltag automatically when I join a server.
So if you need help just ask. And if you could help me. That would be great.  :)

:mrgreen: Pardy  :mrgreen:

March 28, 2011, 01:10:18 AM
Reply #10

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 28, 2011, 12:48:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.belthesar.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 01:10:18 AM »
Just posting a link to my MM8BDM package thread:  
http://cutstuff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57028#p57028

March 31, 2011, 06:27:07 AM
Reply #11

Offline MakoAoyama

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2010, 10:26:20 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 06:27:07 AM »
Nice to see someone finally got it going.

I haven't been able to mess with it for a long time(nor have I had the time to play anyway lately). To be honest, I kind of gave up after my last few attempts at trying to get it running. Every time I'd get the damn thing working properly, they'd update Skulltag and then I'd be screwed again. I finally just decided to play on my Windows 7 partition and be done with it. I hate that I couldn't help more, but what can you do?

Mike, feel free to delete the thread with my old guide in it if you feel like it doesn't have any real use anymore. No need having two guides on the site confusing people.

September 10, 2017, 03:33:32 PM
Reply #12

Offline Chronosplit

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 10, 2017, 03:12:04 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »
This topic led me to believe that MM8BDM uses a special version of Zandronum that needs to be ported.  I was wrong, you don't even need Wineskin to do multiplayer.  This assumes you know how OSX Zandronum and Doomseeker work, which isn't far away from Windows at all:

1. Download the latest version, unzip it.
2. Take megagame.wad and place it where you put your other IWADs (doom.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).  Take skulltag_actors.pk3 and place it somewhere where Doomseeker will notice (all skulltag stuff ends up in my folder of downloaded stuff from multiplayer servers, but if you're afraid of deleting it on accident putting it in the same place as megagame or your usual PK3/WADs folder works too.)
3. Put mm8bdm-v5b.pk3 (or whatever the newest version is) somewhere where Zandronum will see it.  If you do not have this attempt to join any server in Doomseeker that uses megagame.wad.  Doomseeker will start looking for WADs and PK3s you don't have as usual, among these is the important thing you need: mm8bdm-v5b.pk3 (or whichever version the newest is).  You might want to move this somewhere safe where you don't delete it.
4. You're done.  Enjoy.

This should also be true for any platform that a Zandronum and Doomseeker version exist for.  You don't even need to update your IWAD aliases.  I really don't know about single player yet but I might attempt it later.

EDIT: Okay, singleplayer works.  This setup or similar launches the vanilla game without problem, just set it up in the create game menu of Doomseeker and click Play Offline.  Only thing is that it goes straight past the start menu into Dr. Light's tutorial/the start spawn point in front of the lab (in theory starting the game from Zandronum itself could fix this, but Doomseeker is better at loading other items with the WAD which is needed here), but no biggie there as you have Player Setup.  Want to add mods?  Just add them in the bottom.

EDIT 2: Just so you know, this all is also true for v5c and beyond.  Just remember to download and update your files when they come out.  Also I have no clue how to deal with the skins folder as I don't really use customs.

March 08, 2018, 07:40:26 PM
Reply #13

Offline LK

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2018, 07:32:09 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »
There is something wrong... I download it, it was successful, but when I try to open it, my mac says that the game may be broken or corrupted. I really want to play megaman 8bit deathmatch! Can you please rearrange the download please?

February 19, 2019, 01:58:18 PM
Reply #14

Dumdum

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
There is something wrong... I download it, it was successful, but when I try to open it, my mac says that the game may be broken or corrupted. I really want to play megaman 8bit deathmatch! Can you please rearrange the download please?
Chronosplit's instructions work for me.