Advanced Search

Author Topic: Bot Apocalypse  (Read 10645 times)

April 06, 2011, 05:18:55 PM
Reply #15

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: December 03, 2010, 07:35:28 AM

• View Profile
Re: Bot Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 05:18:55 PM »
I am about a day/week away from releasing an alpha mode for testing to gather feedback.

This will be compatible with classes, but classes will not be required. It will select random bots.

I'm still working on low-end game scenarios; having 2 or more human players at this time works fine. I need to figure out a better solution for 'single player' or 2 people playing and one disconnecting in the middle of the match. Right now it assigns the human player to the Light team and s/he fights a leaderless bot team.

Things to do before a release:
(click to show/hide)

Things already implemented in the mode:
(click to show/hide)

I will post in Projects when I get to releasing the alpha. Now is the time to provide your input.

Speak now or don't!

April 06, 2011, 05:40:20 PM
Reply #16

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »
Quote from: "SickSadWorld"
I am about a day/week away from releasing an alpha mode for testing to gather feedback.

This will be compatible with classes, but classes will not be required. It will select random bots.

I'm still working on low-end game scenarios; having 2 or more human players at this time works fine. I need to figure out a better solution for 'single player' or 2 people playing and one disconnecting in the middle of the match.
Well, I have said that "# of bots" = 6 + "# of humans" was the best number to work with. Also if there are 5 or less humans, then couldn't ya use a simple boolean for a leaderless game?  Also i someone disconnects during the battle, I hope that if the duel list method works, then the next person in line will be leader. If ya can't seem to get it right, then a random person will be chosen.

Right now it assigns the human player to the Light team and s/he fights a leaderless bot team.
So Team Light is the bot team? I kinda hoped Wily was the bot team.

Things to do before a release:

[*] Endgame scenario where 1 survivor is left on each team; adding the special item that gives some power bonus.
Give only an item that can give both sides the RageRune. Remember, that it is up to the last survivor to use it or not. I also think that once used, they can not "unuse" it.

[*] Scaling bot levels based on number of players
Bots = 6 + Humans (Including leader)

[*] Global message when bot leader is defeated(?)
Sure, why not?

[*] Graphical polish
???

Things already implemented in the mode:

[*] Team assignment is automatic
Good, no more kickin' people off the wrong team.  :D

[*] DM flags/2 are automatic - Crouching is always enabled. Suiciding is always disabled. Chasecam is always enabled. Probably some other things.
Suiciding should be on, while the rest of the flags are fine.

[*] Fixed the colors for team assignment, as sometimes everyone can be blue
That's nice

[*] Bot leader is selected from among the existing human players. S/he becomes the leader of the bot team and a team of all humans fight a team of bots with one human leader to 5 wins per map.
If its possible, could ya add in a duel wait list method? If there is no one on the list and 6 or more humans playin' then the automatic team assignment should be used.

[*] Compatibility with classes and custom map packs
I'd say it is the less important of all the other issues to address (IMO), but it will never hurt for more compatibility.

I will post in Projects when I get to releasing the alpha. Now is the time to provide your input.

Speak now or don't!

I have spoken

April 06, 2011, 06:13:13 PM
Reply #17

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:13 PM »
Duel wait list only works in duel. There is no queue, it selects a person for the level randomly and that person is the bot leader. The bot team is Wily and the human team is Light.

For now suiciding will remain disabled and the ragerune item will be given to the last player(s) alive. If the last player alive is human on the bot team they will also get the option. It will be able to be "unused" for now, but playtesting will determine whether or not that stays in.

Also if there are 5 or less humans, then couldn't ya use a simple boolean for a leaderless game? Also i someone disconnects during the battle, I hope that if the duel list method works, then the next person in line will be leader. If ya can't seem to get it right, then a random person will be chosen.

There is no duel list method. There's either me doing it from scratch (not sure it's worth it) or not. The duel list is made internally in skulltag for duel mode only. It is not compatible with TLMS modes. It might be hard or might be easy to make a queue but I'm not going to promise this or implement it yet.

"Simple boolean" for a leaderless game also doesn't work because bots are treated as players. Until I resolve the other issues it will need a minimum of 2 human players to start or continue a match.

April 06, 2011, 08:45:51 PM
Reply #18

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »
Well well, seems our little game is becoming quite popular. I look forward to more of these matches. And for more wins for me as GeminiLord.

April 09, 2011, 12:10:29 AM
Reply #19

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »
I played this today for the first time.  It's way more fun than I thought it would be!

April 09, 2011, 05:47:03 AM
Reply #20

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:03 AM »
NEW IDEA

We discussed this earlier on Apocalypse.

"NOHOPE should be playing."
"What if SSW adds NOHOPE to the game mod?"

Genius! Basically, when only one human is left, trigger alternative usage. Personally I think the NOHOPE theme is great but anything menacing should take the cake. It's a nice touch you should be able to throw in relatively simply. (I hope. Er, NOHOPE)

April 09, 2011, 06:36:45 AM
Reply #21

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 06:36:45 AM »
Sure man

NOHOPE is one option, but don't you guys associate it with roboenza mode too much? I'm fine with using the actual NOHOPE from roboenza, but think about it. Do you really want that specific song?

Regardless, that's a really good idea to change the music when one survivor is remaining.

April 09, 2011, 10:55:07 AM
Reply #22

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
Eh, the Roboenza NOPHOPE isn't that great. And it will get annoying when the last survivor is inevitably camping above the bots for several minutes.

I suggest a Kevvviiinnn song. Namely, stage 32 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkQAW2viwJA&feature=related) for general awesomeness.

April 09, 2011, 02:22:03 PM
Reply #23

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
I suggest MGS Alarm Sounded.

April 11, 2011, 01:45:02 AM
Reply #24

Offline T's Inventions

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 08, 2011, 03:01:18 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 01:45:02 AM »
Yes, I really like this but, I kinda think there should be no leader for the bots' team because the game 'mode' is already hard
and the leader makes things worse. Maybe sometimes there can be a leader but most of the time it should be just all bots
on the bots' team because this is BOTS vs humans. Also, I think the bots' should be on the Dr. Wily team not the Dr. Light team
because that makes since to me.

June 30, 2011, 10:41:25 PM
Reply #25

Offline T's Inventions

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 08, 2011, 03:01:18 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »
So... It's been a while, but I still want to see a real WAD for this made!

I like most of SickSadWorld's plans for this as well as SaviorSword's...

One idea I have for this is when the bots enter into the game, they enter in one by one just like in single-player!
Think about all the times playing traditional bot apocalypse where you end up with a bad spawn point,
right in the middle of the bot army, and you are screwed. Need I say more?

Another idea I have is that this could be compatible with Team Deathmatch.
Hey Sav! Remember "Bot Deathmatch" you did/had on your server that one time?
I'd like to see that done along with this WAD!

The Last idea I have for now is that before a player joins the game, they chose the bot(s)
they want in their army. This would be pretty much combining the bot setup screen from
skirmish mode and the class selection screen from classes. Just think of all the bot combinations
there could be!

I hope SickSadWorld is still going to finish this!

July 01, 2011, 08:39:20 PM
Reply #26

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
Nice bump......

SSW has quite a lot of trouble due to some Skulltag hardcoded stuff(?).

As for yar ideas are in bold, and I'll give ya my thoughts in italics.

One idea I have for this is when the bots enter into the game, they enter in one by one just like in single-player!
Think about all the times playing traditional bot apocalypse where you end up with a bad spawn point,
right in the middle of the bot army, and you are screwed. Need I say more?

Remember, this is TLMS and NO ONE can enter in a game. This means bots are included too. In short, that idea is no possible. I know that ya could spawn in a bad spot, but that's almost nothin' we could do about it. Maybe an invincibility item given to all for a few seconds could fix this problem.

Another idea I have is that this could be compatible with Team Deathmatch.
Hey Sav! Remember "Bot Deathmatch" you did/had on your server that one time?
I'd like to see that done along with this WAD!

That works, but it would defeat the purpose of the Bot Apocalypse intended to be. Survive the onslaught of quantity vs quality.

The Last idea I have for now is that before a player joins the game, they chose the bot(s)
they want in their army. This would be pretty much combining the bot setup screen from
skirmish mode and the class selection screen from classes. Just think of all the bot combinations
there could be!

That might sound possible, and not at the same time. I wish I could say more, but I can't.

October 10, 2011, 06:40:54 AM
Reply #27

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 06:40:54 AM »
Picked this up again after months of RL distraction

Some unresolved issues with string handling but probably coming up on a release