Advanced Search

Author Topic: Doc's Tilesets  (Read 13399 times)

August 30, 2012, 09:51:51 PM
Read 13399 times

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
Doc's Tilesets
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
This isn't my first time ripping textures ever, but it is for MM8BDM, and I don't have as much experience as NemZ, so I just wanted to see how I'd do.

Deus Ex Machina Quickman

Deus Ex Machina Woodman

Rockman Minimum - Flashman
(click to show/hide)

Door Textures

The current door textures in that pack are:

(click to show/hide)

August 31, 2012, 11:13:11 PM
Reply #1

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
Re: Doc's Tilesets
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
Not bad at all.   :mrgreen:  

Just a few things to note:
1) You missed the grey 'poles' on white backgrounds that hold up the wooden platforms (which meet at the x blocks)
2) Don't you need a version of the wood tile with an arrow that points in other directions as well?
3) The panel doors need some work.  First, the frames on the door panels are actually part of the wall textures, which is why they can use different palettes.  As is they won't align properly with other textures because the dimensions aren't an even multiple of 16 pixels.  While fixing that, you might want to go ahead and break the panels up into individual textures so that they can be used more flexibly, such as leaving some of them 'open' as in the stage, or perhaps even making them movable doors in stages.

I'm actually rather disappointed in the design of the actual stage though, since the pink and green panels could be made with the same palette (white/brown/green/pink) which means 1/4 of the possible colors for the stage are left unused.  They could easily have squeezed in a more interesting background skyline than flat black, or alternatively used them as two full palletes and made a nice forrest scene, perhaps even a nice mix of dark background trees and pink sakura petals to go with the rest of the distinctly Japanese feel of the stage.

September 01, 2012, 12:32:19 AM
Reply #2

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »
Quote from: "NemZ"
1) You missed the grey 'poles' on white backgrounds that hold up the wooden platforms (which meet at the x blocks)
2) Don't you need a version of the wood tile with an arrow that points in other directions as well?
3) The panel doors need some work.  First, the frames on the door panels are actually part of the wall textures, which is why they can use different palettes.  As is they won't align properly with other textures because the dimensions aren't an even multiple of 16 pixels.  While fixing that, you might want to go ahead and break the panels up into individual textures so that they can be used more flexibly, such as leaving some of them 'open' as in the stage, or perhaps even making them movable doors in stages.

I'm actually rather disappointed in the design of the actual stage though, since the pink and green panels could be made with the same palette (white/brown/green/pink) which means 1/4 of the possible colors for the stage are left unused.  They could easily have squeezed in a more interesting background skyline than flat black, or alternatively used them as two full palletes and made a nice forrest scene, perhaps even a nice mix of dark background trees and pink sakura petals to go with the rest of the distinctly Japanese feel of the stage.

1.) Yea wasn't sure if I was going to do that one at all, but I probably should.
2.) I think that's actually the only direction that was used in the stage. I might be able to flip it though.
3.) The multiple-of-16 was something I had to do when I ripped tiles before this as well; I didn't know if you had to do that for MM8BDM, but good to know. However,
you might want to go ahead and break the panels up into individual textures so that they can be used more flexibly, such as leaving some of them 'open' as in the stage
I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean. Do you mean copy each tree separately from the frame?

September 01, 2012, 02:47:50 AM
Reply #3

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:47:50 AM »
Here's what I mean:

#1 is yours.
#2 is what it should be to fit the x16 size (walls painted blue so it's easier to see)
#3 is how I'd recommend breaking it up so they can be used with more flexibility by stage designers.
#4 is color corrected to fit the actual NES palette

PS - I'm genuinely trying to be helpful, though I can see how it might come across as me being a prick.

September 01, 2012, 03:04:10 AM
Reply #4

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 03:04:10 AM »
PS - I'm genuinely trying to be helpful, though I can see how it might come across as me being a prick.
Not at all. I think I see what you're saying by breaking it up, but as for the "NES palette", I'm honestly not sure what you're getting at. Yes, I know, I sound like I have the brain of an ass, but could you explain what you mean by NES palette? Do you mean only specific colors will work?

September 01, 2012, 03:19:52 AM
Reply #5

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 03:19:52 AM »
Well for mm8bdm you can pretty much use any colors you want because it can slap in modern .png files.  If you want to be truely 8-bit accurate though you have to understand that the NES had a very restricted palette of colors to choose from.  This however is complicated by the NES originally not using standard RGB color models, so it's a matter of debate what the actual values should be... try playing the same game on different emulators to see what I mean, or the same actual nes on different tvs for that matter.  I say just pick one a stick with it, and my last post included a link to the photoshop pallette file that I use, taken from some random a rom hacking page that seemed to know what they were talking about.

Also be aware that if players use the software graphics mode they are limited to the palette that MM8BDM has built-in (slightly altered from the original Doom but not at all the same as the NES), so some colors just won't look exactly right for them no matter what you do.

September 01, 2012, 01:20:55 PM
Reply #6

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »
I've been working on Woodman's tileset (DEM of course) and I thought about making the top of a bamboo chute (kinda like the end of Waveman's pipe). Problem is there isn't one to rip so I at least I tried attempted one myself. I know it's small but I don't know how to enlarge it without screwing it up (you could copy it yourself and enlarge it in paint I guess).

*Image removed*

September 01, 2012, 10:52:40 PM
Reply #7

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 10:52:40 PM »
Typically you're going to want something like that to be 32x32 pixels, but also it would be a good idea to make it more rounded rather than an octagon.  If you want people to fall through it you should leave the middle transparent and then make a darker version of the outside texture to put on the inside walls.

September 01, 2012, 10:55:56 PM
Reply #8

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:55:56 PM »
I don't want it to be fallthrough. More like the top of a ladder (because these bamboo chutes are supposed to be the ladders.). However, I'm no artist, so I can't really visualize in my mind how to round this, but I know exactly what you mean when you say rounded (I was actually expecting that).

EDIT: At least it's not an octagon...
*removed*

September 02, 2012, 02:34:29 AM
Reply #9

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 02:34:29 AM »
Bump for DEM Woodman and Quickman update. New tiles and, I don't know how I forgot this, the door textures. I have a separate folder to put door textures for my "Find the RM" mappack, but I accidentally put the DEM Quickman door in there and didn't include it in the file.

September 02, 2012, 02:56:27 AM
Reply #10

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 02:56:27 AM »
Okay, so fill in the black parts and give it some kind of pattern.  If nothing else simple concentric rings should do the trick.

Oh, and it's a ladder?  In that case it should probably be 16x16 to match, not 32x32.

September 02, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
Reply #11

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Oh, and it's a ladder?  In that case it should probably be 16x16 to match, not 32x32.

*facepalm*

EDIT: *pant* *pant* This good? *removed*

September 02, 2012, 10:02:01 PM
Reply #12

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »
Sure, that works.  Don't forget that you'll need top (and possibly bottom) views of a lot of areas that the game you're taking these from didn't have to worry about.

This is also why I do entire tilesets as one image file.  It's easier to line things up and make sure it's all the size it needs to be, as well as getting a sense of how effectively you're using your palettes, how the colors and styles all look together, if it needs more or less detail, etc.  That and I don't presume to know exactly what the stage designers will want in terms of actual tiles, so I leave it to them to figgure out how to break things up or combine them as best suits the stage they've made.

April 24, 2013, 02:44:35 AM
Reply #13

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:44:35 AM »
Bump for door textures

August 21, 2013, 01:08:17 AM
Reply #14

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 01:08:17 AM »
Bump for Rockman Minimum Flashman textures (and tell me if the image is borken)