Advanced Search

Author Topic: V-Classes Public Beta v1.0  (Read 8957 times)

May 22, 2020, 11:39:56 PM
Read 8957 times

Offline Shmeckie

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2011, 07:22:04 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cloudscratcher.com
V-Classes Public Beta v1.0
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:39:56 PM »
Hey everyone! Been a long time, eh? Well I'm excited to finally bring this to you guys to try out! The first public beta of our new classes mod:

What makes this classes mod different than the others?
V-Classes brings a whole new mechanic to the table: Ultimates!

You'll notice the unique ammo meter to the right. That's your Ultimate ammo. As you land your attacks, the bar will fill based on the damage you do. You'll also receive some bonus ammo for scoring frags! When your Ultimate ammo is full, you can activate your class' Ultimate using the unique item each class spawns with, unleashing a devastating attack likely to utterly demolish your enemies! Some class' Ultimates are stronger than others, with stronger Ultimates requiring more ammo to fill the meter. Characters with weaker Ultimates are able to fill their meter more consistently, making their Ultimate a reliable part of their kit, while characters with more powerful Ultimates will have to work harder to get theirs. Since the Ultimate meter resets if you're killed, a player using a class with a more powerful Ultimate may not even get it at all if they're not skilled enough to score frags and stay alive!

Aside from the Ultimates, classes in this mod operate on a design philosophy that combines the ethos of CBM and Justified Classes. Keeping character abilities rooted in the actual games in which they appeared, while giving each class unique gameplay mechanics, gimmicks, and playstyles. While the moves that the characters use all come from actual games they appeared in, what those moves do is where the classes' diverse gameplay styles come in. Also, classes in VC derive their moveset from all of a characters' appearances in official media. Not just the game in which they debuted, but games like Power Battle/Fighters, the Gameboy Mega Man games, even Super Adventure Rockman and Mega Man's Soccer! If a character lacks enough moves in all their appearances to make for a complete moveset, elements from their stages were used, as well. We're also striving to balance each class so no class is completely useless in certain gameplay modes, or completely dominates all the others. They may not excel in EVERY map, but a skilled player can win matches with whatever class they enjoy using! We're also working on giving classes extra abilities in team-based game modes (i.e. an attack working one way in Deathmatch, while functioning in a more support-based role when used in Team Deathmatch).

This mod also makes use of User keys (i.e. User1), so the first time you play, you'll need to map the Thirdfire button in your control settings. Thirdfire abilities are generally movement-based, or an extra ability that is particularly unique compared to main and altfire.

What classes are available?
We've assembled a group of the classes we have that we feel are 100% done and ready for primetime (with the exception of Mega Man, who is about 90% finished, but has everything he needs for the beta and we wanted a copywep represented). With each update to the beta, at least one new class will be added to the public version. A full v1 will be released when we have all the characters in all the games covered in the core MM8BDM represented. Here's a brief overview of the classes included in the beta:

(click to show/hide)

Why the name V-Classes?
It's wordplay. The V stands for "variation," while resembling the greek letter "nu". Making this a New (nu) Variation of classes mods.

Special thanks to the V-Classes team for all their hard work!
(click to show/hide)

May 23, 2020, 12:28:32 AM
Reply #1

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
Re: V-Classes Public Beta v1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 12:28:32 AM »
Yes, it HAS been awhile.

The thought of ultimates for classes has definitely crossed my mind numerous times, so this isn't that much of a surprise, but I am glad to see that CBM isn't completely monopolizing the classes market (haven't actually tried Grand Classes yet <__<). I look forward to trying this out, and good to see you again, Shmeckie :)

May 23, 2020, 01:15:36 AM
Reply #2

Offline Zapper514

• Standard Member

• engineer gameing
  • Date Registered: December 14, 2016, 08:53:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:15:36 AM »
I am hyped to play this when I get my PC back! It looks super fun already.

May 24, 2020, 11:05:28 AM
Reply #3

Offline Shmeckie

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 11:05:28 AM »
I should point out the statement about Mega Man being 90% done is no longer true. After getting some feedback on him, Mega Man is getting a massive overhaul.

I think you'll like what we have planned.

May 25, 2020, 12:57:24 AM
Reply #4

Offline Binary_Newer

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 24, 2019, 12:01:20 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 12:57:24 AM »
...I just now noticed that Crash Man still has the bot AI I coded for him a while ago. I thought that would've been removed and added back in later.

July 26, 2020, 01:37:00 AM
Reply #5

Offline Binary_Newer

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 24, 2019, 12:01:20 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 01:37:00 AM »
Since I'm a developer for this mod, I'll just announce this for now:

V-Classes Public Beta 2 is now public!
https://static.allfearthesentinel.net/wads/vclasses-v1a-publicbeta2.pk3

Changelog: https://pastebin.com/bBqDzYjS

Please note that Mega Man's Power Gear is in a VERY WIP state. Only the following weapons were edited:
(click to show/hide)

July 26, 2020, 02:55:56 AM
Reply #6

Offline Shmeckie

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 02:55:56 AM »
Will be adding a hotfix patch, there was an issue with Gyro Man that fell between the cracks during testing. We thought we fixed it, turns out we didn't, so we're taking care of that now.

July 27, 2020, 02:47:39 AM
Reply #7

Offline Shmeckie

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 02:47:39 AM »
We've uploaded a second balance patch to address some recent issues rather than waiting for the next release. This current release featured a lot of characters, and this being a public beta and all, we'd like to get more info on the new roster as a whole, which we feel won't be possible if everyone just picks a couple broken characters over and over again. So this should temper things and help us see how the rest of the new and updated characters fare before the next full version.

Thanks again to everyone for helping us out! There's some things you're only going to discover when the public at large gets their hands on a mod, which is why we went with public betas in the first place.