Advanced Search

Author Topic: Help needed to understand Very Fatal Errors  (Read 1611 times)

November 04, 2012, 03:50:11 AM
Read 1611 times

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
Help needed to understand Very Fatal Errors
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:50:11 AM »
Okay, they still haunt me big time, and recently I learned I'm not the only. Without modifications, they do happen more often on certain maps, such as MM6FLA or even MAP01. Until then, I have had several guesses, such as:
    Code calling for a variable with no assigned value.
    OPEN script with some sort of "failure" being executed by those maps.
    A common ST CVAR has a "Null" value.
    Something related to text.
    Failure to transfer a value.

Well, for each of those guesses I had something that led me to it.
The first one was back in older versions of Classes if I recall, which had some Variables with values assigned after a script is run.
Second one happened when I noticed the crashes happens more often during LMS rounds, where I suppose (not 100% sure) an OPEN script has more chances to run.
This third is because of... Well, a really wild guess at this one. I cannot discard the possibility of something being "left behind" in the default configuration.
Fourth comes from how often I hear a D_Radio, or open up the scoreboard, less than one second before the crash happens.
And, lastly, the fifth comes from a recent massive failure I had in the connection, which caused the crash to happen within seconds after joinning a server. ANY server.

Did a small search for what it meant and found out that said kind of error was because of two programs trying to access the same block of Memory. Not sure if this is it, but the error is a "Access Violation - tried to read address". With our migration to Zandronum right around the corner, I suppose we won't see this kind of thing happen much. But... I'd like to know how many so far has been interrupted by this Very Fatal Error. Just to keep track of "until now".

Also, if you have more useful information that helps in understanding and disposing of this problem, please, do share.