Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] MM7 Skull Fortress Naming Scheme  (Read 2970 times)

November 02, 2020, 09:47:16 PM
Read 2970 times

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
[Suggestion] MM7 Skull Fortress Naming Scheme
« on: November 02, 2020, 09:47:16 PM »
The Wily stages have always been a bit of a strange case, since you can't realistically call every map "Wily Castle" and hope to distinguish them. There are some interesting creative liberties taken with some of these, particularly the newer ones as of v5 and v6 (Wily Waterworks and Skull Laboratory, for example).

However--presumably a holdover from the bygone days of MM8BDM v2--the MM7 Wily stages take no such creative liberties, and are simply dubbed "Skull Fortress" 1, 2, etc. Besides being inconsistent with the rest of the game (MM1 and Wily Tower nonwithstanding, but I'll get to that), it's just plain boring.

Being partway outdoors, and beginning on a literal drawbridge in the original game, I propose Skull Fortress 1 be renamed Skull Fortress Gate.
Since the entire map is turtle-themed, and features the fight against Super Bass in the original game, I propose Skull Fortress 2 be renamed Skull Fortress Armory.
I struggled to decide on a more appropriate name for Skull Fortress 3, but a few of them include Skull Fortress Skyway, Skull Fortress Parapet, and Skull Fortress Hangar (the last of which inspired by the map's open structure, and HannyaNED˛ being a flying boss).
I struggled with Skull Fortress 4 as well, but--being the final stage--it ought to have a name with some finality. My two best include Skull Fortress Lair and Skull Fortress Sanctum.

As for MM1 and Wily Tower, I legitimately forgot about those until I started writing this post (oops). I haven't yet given them any thought, and feel it would be better to simply open the floor to others that may have suggestions for any of these stages.

November 03, 2020, 12:30:28 AM
Reply #1

Offline chuggaafan1

• Standard Member

• not a fan, really
  • Date Registered: November 26, 2010, 06:14:05 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] MM7 Skull Fortress Naming Scheme
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 12:30:28 AM »
MM1 Wily 1: "Courtyard" is taken by MM3 Wily 1, but you could do Wily Hideout Courtyard vs Skull Castle Courtyard? I also considered "Garden", but that seems a bit too...peaceful.

MM1 Wily 2: Wily Hideout Aqueducts, Wily Hideout Sewer?

Wily Tower 1: Wily Tower Processing? Wily Tower Forge? Wily Tower Smeltery? There's definitely more lava than water there.

Wily Tower 2: Gotta be honest, this one's nigh stumped me. The only possible suggestion is "Wily Tower Atmosphere", what with the space skybox.

November 03, 2020, 02:48:46 PM
Reply #2

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 02:48:46 PM »
MM1DW1: I like Wily Hideout Garden. I'm giving it my vote.
MM1DW2: Given that this level takes place in the deepest part of the hideout, all the way down to where it meets rock, I suggest Wily Hideout Foundation.
MM7DW1: Second to Skull Fortress Gate.
MM7DW2: Second to Skull Fortress Armory.
MM7DW3: Second to Skull Fortress Skyway. Hangar's nice, but it doesn't feel aeronautic enough for that name.
MM7DW4: If you're OK with slightly redundant names (MM9DW3), then I suggest Skull Fortress Tower. This level, both in MM8BDM and in MM7, is pretty vertical and feels like a tower. Otherwise, I'm going with Skull Fortress Sanctum.
MMWTDW1: Second to Wily Tower Forge.
MMWTDW2: Damn, this one is hard. If you're OK with slightly redundant names (MM10DW4), then I suggest Wily Tower Apex. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Also, there are two maps named Entrance and three maps named Interior. Should these be renamed too?

November 03, 2020, 05:05:40 PM
Reply #3

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
MMWTDW2 Wily Tower Observatory could work

November 03, 2020, 05:37:56 PM
Reply #4

Offline Jedimaster76

• Standard Member

• Professional High Ground Abuser
  • Date Registered: May 04, 2020, 06:25:26 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »
MMWTDW1: Second to Wily Tower Forge.

I don't really see the name Wily Tower Forge working. I prefer Wily Tower Manufactory (reused I know) or Wily Tower Processing

EDIT: Just thought of a better one: Wily Tower Boilerworks

November 03, 2020, 06:43:39 PM
Reply #5

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 06:43:39 PM »
Since the MM1 Wily stages are likely the first new players will see, I wonder if it would be better to keep things simple. Personally, I'm leaning towards Wily's Hideout Exterior and Wily's Hideout Interior. In the original game, these stages were supposed to be a robot factory that Dr. Wily repurposed, rather than one of the many custom-built fortresses seen in later games, so "garden" raises a bit of an eyebrow.

As for Wily Tower, I propose Wily Tower Substructure for the first stage. The whole thing seems to be one big boiler area and sewer rolled into one--both of which tend to be built below ground.

EDIT: After mulling it over, I realized the overabundance of water (or just fluid in general) lends weight to the name Wily Tower Reservoir. Something to consider.

I like Mike's suggestion of Wily Tower Observatory a lot, as well.

November 03, 2020, 09:48:54 PM
Reply #6

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 09:48:54 PM »
Wily Tower Lava Powerhouse for that sweet Sonic Spinball reference